Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Reno, NV - Wedge Pkwy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Guacahummus

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2020
Tex 📐
https://aca-prod.accela.com/ONE/Ca...ID3=00699&agencyCode=RENO&IsToShowInspection=

Project Information
EV CHARGER. EXTERIOR 12 CHARGER(S)

Manufacturer's Specs for the Tesla Supercharger. Tesla advised that there is no difference between the cabinets for V3 and V4. The star center cabinet is just utilized as a central point for the DC bus connection between all cabinets. This connection is used for power sharing site-wide.

https://teslanorth.com/2023/09/08/the-weekly-supercharger-california-love

Attachments

• 1694294888000.png
    1694294888000.png
    469 KB · Views: 188
Work has started on the Superchargers.
Well, I dunno.
This looks (per Google maps street view)
like the (formerly) empty lot South of the Shell station and North of the B of A.
For only 12 stations, that's
(a) a lot of length of trenching, and
(b) kinda shallow and wide. A long sweep 90 bend for 4" conduit is like 3' radius IIRC.
(c) has the squares at the two corners shown, along with a big (small-building-sized) rectangle.
(d) the use of insulating blankets in the bottoms hints that they want to place concrete for footings instead of conduit and bedding sand.

I think this is a building going up.
18500 Wedge Pkwy is the Shell/Circle K
18400 is the Bank of America
There's a permit BLD23-08134E
Accela
for a Dairy Queen at 18450 Wedge Pkwy (right between the two).
(More Details -> Occupant/Tenant information = "Dairy Queen Grill & Chill")

FWIW, the Supercharger permit is at 18144 WEDGE PKWY, the address of the Raley's, several stores further North,
though we've seen instances where street addresses for superchargers don't exactly match the real location.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
Well, I dunno.
This looks (per Google maps street view)
like the (formerly) empty lot South of the Shell station and North of the B of A.
For only 12 stations, that's
(a) a lot of length of trenching, and
(b) kinda shallow and wide. A long sweep 90 bend for 4" conduit is like 3' radius IIRC.
(c) has the squares at the two corners shown, along with a big (small-building-sized) rectangle.
(d) the use of insulating blankets in the bottoms hints that they want to place concrete for footings instead of conduit and bedding sand.

I think this is a building going up.
18500 Wedge Pkwy is the Shell/Circle K
18400 is the Bank of America
There's a permit BLD23-08134E
Accela
for a Dairy Queen at 18450 Wedge Pkwy (right between the two).
(More Details -> Occupant/Tenant information = "Dairy Queen Grill & Chill")

FWIW, the Supercharger permit is at 18144 WEDGE PKWY, the address of the Raley's, several stores further North,
though we've seen instances where street addresses for superchargers don't exactly match the real location.
I would concur. We rarely see full clear and grade for a supercharger. Usually just trenching for conduit.

And permit needs contractor and hasn’t been issued for superchargers.
1706334633969.png

• Informative
Reactions: sunnnv
Permit was just issued with the same contractor as both Verdi and 4001 S Virginia. Construction is just starting with area fenced off, shipping container and paint for trenches.

wedge fence paint.jpg

This is facing North/West in the between the Dairy Queen being constructed (left) and Starbucks (right). There's currently 12 diagonal parking spots on the left side that seem to have paint for a wider 40"-deep trench for maybe 11 pull forward perpendicular stalls. The right side has 5 diagonal spots with paint for a narrower and shallower 32" trench for maybe 1 pull forward diagonal stall.

A bit more work, but not anything specifically Tesla yet, so a bit too soon to say under construction.

Looking North North-West, saw cutting done on the lines shown in Mardak's pic and some 4" sweep 90's and some mystery stuff on a pallet.
IMG_5295.JPG

Looking North East towards the Starbucks, vegetation is gone from one of the islands at end of row of parking spots.
IMG_5294.JPG

A bit more work, but not anything specifically Tesla yet, so a bit too soon to say under construction.

Looking North North-West, saw cutting done on the lines shown in Mardak's pic and some 4" sweep 90's and some mystery stuff on a pallet.
View attachment 1020355

Looking North East towards the Starbucks, vegetation is gone from one of the islands at end of row of parking spots.
View attachment 1020356
Good pics. Permit has Tesla equipment listed. The mini container is now part of most if not all buildouts. They have saw cut where pull in pedestals would be placed and no other charging companies do that type of stall that way so this is definitely Tesla to me.

Between errands stopped by, now have Tesla stuff at the site, so unambiguously a supercharger under construction.
@corywright @Big Earl @Guacahummus

Looking South East, toward Mount Rose Highway and the UNR Redfield Campus on the other side, Virginia Range in distance.
3 Supercharger cabinets delivered, a bit more digging.
Noted some precast slabs - for the cabinets?
Only 2 pedestal bases?
IMG_5308.JPG

Looking South East still, but shifted viewpoint to the left from above, over near tall stack of flex conduit.
Here's the rest of the bases, 10 bases here plus 2 makes 12, and a bunch of flex conduit, and more misc. boxes.

IMG_5309.JPG

Was getting kinda late, but had something to do down in this end of Reno.
Another shipping container showed up (behind viewpoint in parking lot of Chase and/or Bank of America). Since not inside fence unclear if for the superchargers or the Dairy Queen construction, but there are two containers at Verdi.
Lots of dining/food amenities in this center. Although the Raley's closes at 9 pm per their website (11 pm per Google), the Circle K/Shell is 24 hours.

Or maybe, per their website "Opening Hours" they close for a minute just before midnight. ;-)
I note: "No EV charging information available",
and even more ironically: "No Hydrogen information available",
given that Shell has just shut down all its hydrogen refueling stations in California.
Shell Shuts Down Its US Hydrogen Filling Stations - CleanTechnica
Oh pity the poor suckers who bought/leased a hydrogen car.

Main trench for pedestals seems to be done with digging, ready to install conduit.
Looking North West - sorry for the bit of fence in the frame.
IMG_5320.JPG

Looking North East toward Starbucks, starting to install conduit.
Guess is these are the AC feed from switchgear (6 conduits) to each of the 3 V3 cabinets (just noticed the numbers (2) and (3)).
Seems a bit squishy, but maybe transformer will be over large hole furtherest away, but its doors would have to open toward the pavement to meet their safety clearance requirements.
Guess switchgear doors open away, V3 cabinets 2 and 3 open toward the camera, cabinet #1 opens away.

IMG_5321.jpeg

Looked to me that all the conduit is in when I was out there late today.
When I got home, permit says rough electrical passed today.

Looking West, transformer output nicely numbered.
If one follows the line of the vertical conduit up, there's a "SPPCO ELECTRIC" box in road.
(Sierra Pacific Power Co. is a precursor of NV Energy.)
But I couldn't make much sense of the markings to tell if that is where the transformer input will come from.

IMG_5332.JPG

Looking North East
Note 3 of the small conduit are "com", but L1 and L2 must be for lighting.
The 3" conduit say "DC #" on them, and (duh) the 2x4 has "Star Center" written just above (2) for cabinet 2.
This installer guy is really organized and meticulous and labels things like a good electrician should, note the little lengths of small conduit used to space the big stuff off the rebar just so, a work of beauty.
First time I've seem the connectors for the Dura-Line Flex conduit in the wild, hose clamp to rigid PVC, some kind of plastic insert to lock to the flex.

IMG_5338.JPG

Looking North West - toward Circle-K/Shell.
Wait, 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10. ??? Where's the other 2 pedestals if they passed rough electrical?
Note a small conduit or two heading off to left midway down - must be lighting and/or net connection.

IMG_5339.JPG

Looking due West from another vantage point.
Here are the two missing pedestal locations. The one on the right is a normal pull in spot. Maybe (to be) widened for handicap?
The one on the left seems wasted, could be a trailer pull-thru, but it's at the wrong end unless your vehicle isn't a Tesla and has the charge connector up front on the right-hand side.
Two small conduits head up this small trench, which goes off to the right, probably for another light.
Too bad these will be full of snow soon, backfill and pedestal bases/cabinet slabs could be delayed a while, even if none of this beautiful conduit floats.

IMG_5340.JPG

Reactions: Mrbrock
Down on the South end of town today - some progress here.

Looking North West - a lot of backfill, and pedestal bases installed, on angle as pull-in spaces, though it looks like they will re-stripe the spaces.
Note the two bases off to the right.
I'm thinking these bases are set a bit low.
IMG_5365.JPG

Looking North East, toward Starbucks.
Pull twine installed, backfilling with gravel, I was expecting bedding sand.
Got a couple of ground rods in, one for transformer and one for switchgear, hopefully they get driven in a bit more.

IMG_5367.JPG

• Informative
Late this afternoon, they are installing the V3 power cabinets.
When I arrived, there was some sharp discussion while drilling a little metal bracket, then they all went over to the cabinet and one guy poked his upper torso into the base. Would guess they're bolting it down, but holes in cabinet base wasn't exactly matching with the holes on the (pre-fab) slab base. I hate it when that happens.
Looking South West, Bank of America building in background.
IMG_5393.JPG

Looking a little West of South.
Recent trench under curb, then angling over to the "SPPCO ELECTRIC" box in roadway mentioned in post 15.
Trenchplates (under pickup) and mini-excavator covering trench.

IMG_5395.JPG

Tuesday March 26 already.
Looking South-ish. An overview of the transformer/cabinet area.
Transformer pad delivered, switchgear pad laid down in its place over by V3 cabinets.
IMG_5411.JPG

Looking South West.
Closer view of transformer input conduit in, backfilled, and compacted. Trench to SPPCO box in road has asphalt on it, .

IMG_5410.JPG

Looking NorthWest.
Switchgear cabinet on site. Covers off pedestals though wrapped in plastic. Look close, they've pulled the DC wiring already.
Once they place the switchgear and do the AC wiring and DC inter-cabinet bus, then we play wait-for-the-transformer as they patch up the parking lot.
IMG_5413.JPG