Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Roseville, CA - Harding Boulevard (LIVE 23 Jan 2024, 16 V4 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It splits the pack in two and connects them in parallel, dropping the voltage in half but leaving the same 120+ kWh capacity. Gets 250kW charging that way today on current Superchargers and allows them to not split the pack at 800v sites up to 350kW. Really thought they would handle Megacharger (1000v at 1000a) sites, but Lars and Franz only mentioned 350kW.

Last edited:
It splits the pack in two and connects them in parallel, dropping the voltage in half but leaving the same 120+ kWh capacity. Gets 250kW charging that way today on current Superchargers and allows them to not split the pack at 800v sites up to 350kW. Really thought they would handle Megacharger (1000v at 1000a) sites, but Lars and Franz only mentioned 350kW.
Yes, I understand that part. Just thinking about how individual cells get charged and how that affects the overall pack when they are connected back in parallel. Seems like overall pack health and cell balancing would be negatively affected with this charging infrastructure. And one more piece of electronics that could fail.

Hopefully the 350kw mention was just about what is currently available. If it can handle 250kw at 400v it can at least handle 500kw at 800v since amperage would be the same. I don’t know where this 1000v talk came from because no one uses 1000v architecture for batteries. It was always 800v. Just because the wire is capable of 1000v so the cabinet gets rated at 1000v doesn’t mean it actually uses 1000v.

The Megacharger is what they are designing to charge the Semi, Mega is 1000 1000 so maybe 1000v at 1000a, although the standard I have seen proposed is actually 3.7 megawatt, so who knows what the future holds
Elon mentioned the cybertruck would be “megawatt capable” so I know that is different than the Megacharger. Most people do not realize the difference. People see the voltage rating on the new V4 posts and think the cars will be 1000v when that is just a rating. Car manufacturers would need to redesign batteries to be 1000v while most current are 400v or 800v.

To get back to the topic of this Supercharger site under construction (hint hint) here are a few more pictures of the site...

Bruce.

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Reactions: bmah
This is a little unusual, for almost all recent Supercharger activations we'd see the site show up in the mobile app first, before the Find Us map. I'm not seeing it in the mobile app.

The ground truth is whether a car can get a charge there. It'd be awesome if someone could try this out and document with photos of your car charging there (the "gold standard" for evidence, as it were).

Bruce.

Reactions: Limited
This is a little unusual, for almost all recent Supercharger activations we'd see the site show up in the mobile app first, before the Find Us map. I'm not seeing it in the mobile app.

The ground truth is whether a car can get a charge there. It'd be awesome if someone could try this out and document with photos of your car charging there (the "gold standard" for evidence, as it were).

Bruce.
I can swing by tomorrow!