Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - 2817 S. El Camino Real (LIVE 25 Mar 2024, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marked as expired in the San Mateo database.
1701668784804.png

It's Feb 2024 -- still no updates for this location? This is a critical spot for visitors of Hillsdale Mall so I wonder what the hold up is.
A few partial passes back in May with no updates since then. I would guess we are waiting on a transformer. The existing one wouldn't be big enough for both the Burger King and Tesla. Either they are upgrading that one or putting in a separate one for Tesla. Is does not look like there is much room for a separate one and would likely require a tree removed which could be the holdup as well as PG&E.
1708967301156.png
@1100MCM any insights here?

A few partial passes back in May with no updates since then. I would guess we are waiting on a transformer. The existing one wouldn't be big enough for both the Burger King and Tesla. Either they are upgrading that one or putting in a separate one for Tesla. Is does not look like there is much room for a separate one and would likely require a tree removed which could be the holdup as well as PG&E.
View attachment 1022121
@1100MCM any insights here?
The transformer here will be dedicated solely for the superchargers: no sharing here. There’s a couple out there where the business attached will share the transformer but it’s likely because the business and the superchargers were planned and built simultaneously: Modesto - Joyce Ave, Ripon, etc.

For this location there was a change recently on the concrete pad location which is responsible for at least part of the delay. I’m unsure what permitting process has to occur if you change the construction layout well in to the building phase.

On a related note, large transformer backlog is definitely getting better but the big utilities are not fully recovered yet.

The transformer here will be dedicated solely for the superchargers: no sharing here. There’s a couple out there where the business attached will share the transformer but it’s likely because the business and the superchargers were planned and built simultaneously: Modesto - Joyce Ave, Ripon, etc.

For this location there was a change recently on the concrete pad location which is responsible for at least part of the delay. I’m unsure what permitting process has to occur if you change the construction layout well in to the building phase.

On a related note, large transformer backlog is definitely getting better but the big utilities are not fully recovered yet.
Thanks! Fits with my thought that maybe they wanted it next to the other one for ease of tapping into main cables but there just isn't enough room without removing that tree.

For changing something like that, you would submit an amended plan which should just need to check that the new length of wires to the switchgear is within spec. And that the new proposed location doesnt have other tree issues. So probably a few weeks for reviews before approval.

Reactions: 1100MCM
It’s open! Passed by this evening on foot and saw the posts lit up. I live a couple blocks away so I drove over later to see if they were actually operational. This location doesn’t show on my nav yet, but it’s definitely working.

My 2017 75D S is currently pulling 95kw after starting from a pretty low 24 miles SOC. I think charging has overall gotten slower for me, which is a bummer.

I’m assuming this is a v3 charger and will be open to other manufacturers. As of right now there hasn’t been a single car here charging, so I’m wondering how close to first I am…

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpeg
    IMG_1834.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1835.jpeg
    IMG_1835.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Helpful
Reactions: Guacahummus
It’s open! Passed by this evening on foot and saw the posts lit up. I live a couple blocks away so I drove over later to see if they were actually operational. This location doesn’t show on my nav yet, but it’s definitely working.

My 2017 75D S is currently pulling 95kw after starting from a pretty low 24 miles SOC. I think charging has overall gotten slower for me, which is a bummer.

I’m assuming this is a v3 charger and will be open to other manufacturers. As of right now there hasn’t been a single car here charging, so I’m wondering how close to first I am…
@Big Earl @Guacahummus @corywright

1711430233482.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Guacahummus

Finally! Thanks for the update but 95kw seems awfully low considering your SOC.

I'll try to stop by soon to see how fast it is.. I can't imagine anything but a V3 being installed here.

Finally! Thanks for the update but 95kw seems awfully low considering your SOC.

I'll try to stop by soon to see how fast it is.. I can't imagine anything but a V3 being installed here.
There’s pictures of V3 stalls at this site. No need to imagine. Charge rate is also dependent on battery temp. And the older S/X tend to charger slower as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
There’s pictures of V3 stalls at this site. No need to imagine. Charge rate is also dependent on battery temp. And the older S/X tend to charger slower as well.
Yeah, my model year capped out at 125kw I think. I’ve hit that before on the charger in Auburn, CA but never anywhere else. That particular supercharger gives me a wider and higher curve, time and again. But I also think my curve has dropped in the past few months. I put in a ticket to see if I can talk with someone about it. Could be just the powers that be “protecting” the battery or perhaps I’ll learn something.

I tried going into the service mode menu and my car is too old to display battery health, apparently.