Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Park Place (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by last night on my way home from dinner in Palo Alto. There was just one other S charging and left shortly after I arrived.
Of course, this was at around 10pm on a Saturday evening, so not a good indicator of how busy it may get.

11am on a Sunday, I arrived and no one else was here. About 5 minutes after me, a very pretty black P85 with TCP stickers on it showed up, the guy driving it was wearing a suit. I'm new to california, but I think the TCP stickers are for car services, yes? So if that's true at least one person is using it as an Uber Black or similar charging station... my other charge here was roughly 9:30am on a Monday, and when I arrived there were 6 of 8 stalls in use. Very hard for me to imagine that this one (similar to Mountain View) won't be very busy for a lot of the time. I hope Tesla has found a way to get really good rates on the power here, because they're going to put a lot of it into Model S batteries...

San Mateo a few minutes ago, getting lots of use.

IMG_0109.JPG

I don't think Tesla has imposed any rules on Livery service use of SCs. The Amsterdam SC is apparently heavily used by the MS Taxi service there.

Just stopped by the San Mateo SC to do a token brief charge there while wife picked up some groceries at Whole Foods. There were three spots available when I got there and yes, a Livery vehicle as well with the driver nowhere nearby.

Hmmm, I haven't been involved in the locals vs. road trip debate. But fleet vehicles (TCP numbers, Ubers, Lyfts, etc.) using free energy at SCs definitely isn't cool.

- K
Definitely. Those fleets of Ubers should just buy a CHAdeMO of their own if they're going to make all those megabucks driving. Or just stick to honest 80 Amps, those passengers who would get to ride in a Tesla can just wait while ICEs pick them up. They'll find out about the car by scheduling a Test Drive anyway ...eventually.

And Realtors. Why should they get a free ride, driving clients around all those miles?

I guess there's not many pizza or courier delivery people with Teslas yet, but the thought of one of those people using the network I paid for, un-cool-ly, profiting from it ... grrr! Now that you bring it up, that Björn guy using SuperChargers unashamedly for his paid Easybring deliveries. What has HE ever done for the company, anyway?

Musicians, you're on notice too...

It will take six weeks for the stucco on the cinderblock wall to cure before it can be painted to match the other structures in the parking area. It is a minor item that when completed will make this location look complete. Well, maybe not, ..... complete.... that would be when a solar canopy covers the entire supercharger stall area, so that our fusion star can provide power.
The one item I haven't seen at this San Mateo Supercharging site is a bi-directional battery pack that would capture solar energy for evening/night use. >>as far a livery charging/business use charging>> I think livery/businesses should request a supercharger or two/more in their own 'private garage/business lot etc..... along with a solar canopy and bidirectional battery packs, where they can 'supercharge' and foot their own electrical bill as a part of their business expense. The electrical bill, offset by their own solar would be minimal, and livery/businesses could grow their capacity as their businesses grow. Perhaps some supercharging at Tesla locations when far away from homeplate, but otherwise from their own electrical draw.

I visited my brother and stopped by to get a quick charge for the ride home. There were 7 cars already charging, so I took the last spot. A couple others came by after me, but no more spots left. This was yesterday around 3:30pm. When I left about 20 minutes later, there were still 6 occupied stalls. I wonder if this is the norm for a Sunday afternoon...

Wednesday afternoon at 4:30pm. On average, 6-8 of 8 stalls taken, but the cycle time is so fast, no one had to wait. Shared charging kinda sucks at 60-70kW. :(

I live in this town, but I rarely use the San Mateo SC. Today, I had a need to, but if I were just being cheap, I saved $4.90 in 45 minutes of electricity (using PG&E's EV-A off peak rate of $0.09/kWh). This is half of minimum-wage to wait for my car to charge. I just can't see that much local abuse, if any.

- K

Not surprisingly, this supercharger is pretty full. When I witnessed, there were two in line waiting.

edit:

Let's hope self driving + snake bot plug helps alleviate some SC congestion. To start, you'd have to be within a block to have it SC if you drove less than 50 miles, or something, to avoid local charging.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 111
Last edited: