Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Monica, CA (LIVE 18 Feb 2022, 62 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So back to what he said a couple of years ago? Any way to find if this is the same site as the approved-cancelled-reapproved one? Wouldn’t a re-do of that site make it a new application and cancel out any grandfathering that @MelaniainLA worked on?
Exactly. I think Elon is just reliving another one of his old fantasies, and somehow it becomes a ****ing headline

Reactions: Chuq
Any update on what happened in the meeting? I found the video, but over 8 hours is just stupid. Their minutes are typically 3 weeks behind.
First, @Chuq thank you but more than one person’s lobbying effort :)

and regarding that meeting, 8 hours and 15 minutes. They didn’t overtly mention this project but did grandfather in the projects already approved... before saying the want to rezone the entire city for low income housing!!

OK, apparently, this item was not on last week's agenda, or if it was, it was a discussion on how to bring it to this week's agenda, which is scheduled for tomorrow. I downloaded the agenda, which is a whooping 688 pages long. There is no mention of Tesla by name, but there is a mention of an application for an electrical vehicle charging station on page 341. This is within an extremely lengthy section discussion how the city has placed a temporary ban on any development withing the city that could be potentially be used for housing, due to the current housing crises.

What is being discussed tomorrow, and what language is written up as an ordinance on the agenda, starting on pg 338, is to extend the ban on new development until January 21, 2022, but to allow any "Any application for a planning entitlement or permit or building permit, including plan check, filed on or before January 12, 2021." The new ordinance also allows for exceptions for this specific area (I believe. My head spins from all the legal jargan for which I have little patience). Though the Planning Commission did not meet until after this date, I believe the permit was submitted in the fall of 2020 .

The agenda can be viewed/downloaded here: Santa Monica Office of the City Clerk - Council Agendas, Staff Reports, Minutes and Videos

Here’s a March 1 article and update from Drive Tesla Canada (how is Canada is so up to date on these California projects?!) Not sure how much new info is in this article than already posted but some might still find worth a read. I see mention above in this thread that the CUP was already mentioned as approved.

UPDATE: The Planning Commission approved Tesla’s conditional use permit in a 5-2 vote after 3 hours of discussion and questions.”

UPDATE: The Planning Commission approved Tesla’s conditional use permit in a 5-2 vote after 3 hours of discussion and questions.”
Yes, the Planning Commission approved it awhile ago. The City Council declined it so as to have more room for low income housing. At yesterday's meeting, they were to consider an ordinance that would grandfather, and hence allow, construction in this area, and/or providing the permit was requested before January. Honestly, it is hard to really undestand without spending excessive amounts of my time to process. Everything this city does is so overly burdensome with regulations that it is impossible to figure out.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Yes, the Planning Commission approved it awhile ago. The City Council declined it so as to have more room for low income housing. At yesterday's meeting, they were to consider an ordinance that would grandfather, and hence allow, construction in this area, and/or providing the permit was requested before January. Honestly, it is hard to really undestand without spending excessive amounts of my time to process. Everything this city does is so overly burdensome with regulations that it is impossible to figure out.
For the record though, the Supercharger was excluded from the emergency motion and construction should start soon

For the record though, the Supercharger was excluded from the emergency motion and construction should start soon
Again, I am confused. I thought the emergency motion was to allow construction in this area. If the supercharger was excluded, it would not be allowed. I guess I should just give up trying to understand and just be happy that they are allowing this to proceed (even if I will never ever need this location myself)

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Just went by this morning to check it out. Nav says only open Fri/Sun 9am-8pm and as such, there was nothing in site. Might be able to get a good deal on a used car though.

Attachments

• 20210529_071327.jpg
    20210529_071327.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210529_071331.jpg
    20210529_071331.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 128
Got to charge here today. Spoke to the nice tesla rep who states they are planning for 62 V3 stalls at this location and they hope to bring the mobile charging rig back every weekend until they break ground on the permanent install. Also plans for a lounge or diner at this location depending on what the city will allow. Long charge cables on urban looking chargers actually can charge up to 120kw but states they were currently being limited to 90kw FWIW. Rig gets juiced back up down at the Tesla design center by spacex in hawthorne.

Attachments

• 20210530_153340.jpg
    20210530_153340.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210530_153231.jpg
    20210530_153231.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 153
Got to charge here today. Spoke to the nice tesla rep who states they are planning for 62 V3 stalls at this location and they hope to bring the mobile charging rig back every weekend until they break ground on the permanent install. Also plans for a lounge or diner at this location depending on what the city will allow. Long charge cables on urban looking chargers actually can charge up to 120kw but states they were currently being limited to 90kw FWIW. Rig gets juiced back up down at the Tesla design center by spacex in hawthorne.
Any idea when they break ground?