Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Seattle, WA - Union Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was charging at the SC (with free unlimited supercharging).

The car remained plugged into the SC 15-20 minutes after the charge had finished. My understanding was that Tesla fines owners who do this when the SC's are over 50% occupied. But surprisingly I didn't get the fine.

I was charging at the SC (with free unlimited supercharging).

The car remained plugged into the SC 15-20 minutes after the charge had finished. My understanding was that Tesla fines owners who do this when the SC's are over 50% occupied. But surprisingly I didn't get the fine.

Yes, you get a 5 minute grace period and then idle fees will kick in if the station is 50% full and then double if it's completely full. I wonder how Tesla gets data from those superchargers... maybe the polling rate is slow enough that the station was only filled above 50% for a short time and each time it update the system was the in between time that it fell below 50%? :p

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
For what it's worth, I accidentally overstayed the charge's completion there once by quite a bit (because of not having cell reception). The stalls were more than half full, but I never got the charge completion overstay fine. I wonder if Tesla knows there is no cell service down there and is a bit more lenient on overstaying a completed charge.
I kind of wonder if some Supercharger connect back to the mothership via cellular connection. I can imagine some of them have wired broadband connectivity (like the Fremont one), but for some of the more remote ones, I wonder if their own option is cellular.

Another theory... If the Supercharger don't have any connectivity at all. Rather, they solely rely on the plugged in cars to report data back to the mothership? So if the car can't report that it's idling, Tesla HQ has no way of billing that.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
I kind of wonder if some Supercharger connect back to the mothership via cellular connection. I can imagine some of them have wired broadband connectivity (like the Fremont one), but for some of the more remote ones, I wonder if their own option is cellular.

Another theory... If the Supercharger don't have any connectivity at all. Rather, they solely rely on the plugged in cars to report data back to the mothership? So if the car can't report that it's idling, Tesla HQ has no way of billing that.

They all have cellular. V2 is pretty slow but V3 is supposed to have much more robust data and reporting.

Last edited:
The Idle Fees at this location are one my largest issues. But I've just chanced it because I'm usually charging after 7:30pm so I figure it won't fill up and I'm safe to go to a movie. If any Tesla clubs schedule a late night meet-up I'm going to get like a $300 Idle fee haha.

I wish Urban Superchargers started idle fees at like 85% full and then doubled at 100%. I've been downtown shopping and had to rush to finish because the lot is 50% full. "Oh No! Half full whatever will people do!?"

The chargers are too fast for downtown activities. And as mentioned NO WIFI. So no Netflix. I'm glad I picked up a Chademo although my charging bill for January through EVGo was higher than my gas bill had ever been.

The Idle Fees at this location are one my largest issues. But I've just chanced it because I'm usually charging after 7:30pm so I figure it won't fill up and I'm safe to go to a movie. If any Tesla clubs schedule a late night meet-up I'm going to get like a $300 Idle fee haha.

I wish Urban Superchargers started idle fees at like 85% full and then doubled at 100%. I've been downtown shopping and had to rush to finish because the lot is 50% full. "Oh No! Half full whatever will people do!?"

The chargers are too fast for downtown activities. And as mentioned NO WIFI. So no Netflix. I'm glad I picked up a Chademo although my charging bill for January through EVGo was higher than my gas bill had ever been.

Maybe supercharge for 10 minutes and then swing down a level and charge at the level 2 Tesla destination chargers?

That should be good for about 25kWh on an SR+ (~12kWh from the urban chargers and another 13 from the destination chargers... assuming they’re 208v and 32amp and it’s a 2 hour movie).

I usually destination charge at this location because I want to go have dinner (90+ minutes when walk time is factored in) or a movie, or walk around downtown. I really wish I could leave the car over night (and pay $30 or $40 or whatever for parking) when I stay at the Hilton across the street, but I don’t want to get towed...

Maybe supercharge for 10 minutes and then swing down a level and charge at the level 2 Tesla destination chargers?

The Level 2s are almost useless for a 3 hour dinner+movie night. And a 10 minute bump is nowhere near enough for a weekly charge (I rely on commercial chargers without work or home charging) during the winter with heater usage. 100 miles of charge lasts me about 50-60 miles of commuting in the winter.

So I either have to sit there for 30 minutes before the movie (and assume I left on time to have half an hour to spare) or else sit there in the middle of the night at 11 oclock without any cell service or wifi to at least occupy myself all alone in a basement.

A dynamic idle-fee outside of peak hours would solve the issues.

The Level 2s are almost useless for a 3 hour dinner+movie night. And a 10 minute bump is nowhere near enough for a weekly charge (I rely on commercial chargers without work or home charging) during the winter with heater usage. 100 miles of charge lasts me about 50-60 miles of commuting in the winter.

So I either have to sit there for 30 minutes before the movie (and assume I left on time to have half an hour to spare) or else sit there in the middle of the night at 11 oclock without any cell service or wifi to at least occupy myself all alone in a basement.

A dynamic idle-fee outside of peak hours would solve the issues.

Or just tip the Valet and have them shuffle your car to another spot.

Or just tip the Valet and have them shuffle your car to another spot.

That's an option, but some people don't like having valets handle the car... there are great ones out there, and then a lot of not so great that don't really care about door dings or scratches or things like that. I know it's just a car, but a lot of people here seem to take great pride in having a very pristine car.

Also, I've seen reports of people, I think in New York, that had a situation like this where the valet forgot to move the car, got to busy to, etc, and they DID have like a $300 idle fee bill.... The first time that happened I'm sure the valet company would encourage the valets to refuse to do that to remove themselves from any liability.

Edit: I actually still think a combination of supercharging + level 2 could be a good solution for him. He mentioned a 3 hour dinner and movie night, that would give almost 20kWh from just the level 2s, if you add 10 minutes of supercharging on to that (at the start) you should be able to get about 32kWh from minimal wait time... that should get about 100 miles in the cold, maybe 120... (assuming ~280w/mi to 300w/mi)

(assuming ~280w/mi to 300w/mi)
Sadly my lifetime is around 330wh/mi. Winter is more like 400wh/mi.

It works ok...ish if I have time before hand (which I almost never do since I leave work and then go straight downtown. And usually have to race through dinner to make the 7:30-8pm showtimes). But if you L2 charge before hand and are above 80% SOC after the movie, the Supercharger is barely faster than the L2.

What’s up with your CHAdeMO adapter? I also prefer using my adapter in a metro area vs. SC. (Similar situation: no home or work charging. Renting a house with only street parking.)

Would you pay a monthly fee for a reversed street parking spot in front of the rental house if it had a level 2 charging connect at the curb? Assuming a number of things here...