Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Soda Springs, CA (LIVE 8 Dec 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope this station gets built over the summer. Will be nice to have midway up the mountain for winter skiiing
It's only 20 miles from Truckee and at 6000', so wouldn't be useful to us coming from bay area. Auburn remains our best stop right now. As somebody else said, Colfax would be the ideal location to stop before tackling the climb to Donner pass. Still, more SC is always better.

I have a cabin only a few minutes from this location so this will be great for me. I check on it regularly and I believe it is in fact under construction. They only have a short time to get this done before snow becomes a factor, hope they do.
IMG_7419.jpeg

Cisco is on Interstate 80 just east of the terminus of SR20 coming in from Grass Valley/Nevada City and Marysville/Yuba City. Should be a great addition for people heading to Reno from the Sacramento Valley and for others to skip Truckee as they head east. With Donner Summit within 20 miles, it is all downhill to Fernley. Longer range vehicles will be able to avoid Truckee and Reno and make it to Fernley (when it is complete) or perhaps even Winnemucca.
yes, agree, however, the Sparks, NV location is a new one that is very close to I80 and also a good place to stop if needed in order to avoid the 4th street location in Reno.

Reactions: Tyl
Overviews.

Definitely needed before mountains of snow fall.

A plow line will be needed to be established to assure access to the pedestals. Note my earlier pictures from last winter where one can barely see, much less get to the Charge Point pedestals. ?? A canopy would be nice. Petrol pumps have one🥴🥴🥴
…… oh …. The things we dream for!

Once NACS kicks in fully for the big three …. A canopy will magically appear. F-150E, E-Chevy’s, Cybertrucks😊. Heck, maybe we will see a Cybertruck with a snow plow attachment clearing the site!! O.K. Dreaming again🥴❄️!!

Attachments

• IMG_5396.png
    IMG_5396.png
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5399.png
    IMG_5399.png
    2 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I spoke with the guys onsite, they’re going to be pushing hard to get this site up and running before the snow comes, but it’s not a guarantee.

I like this location a lot (though I agree, eventually a large set of chargers in Colfax would be nice) due to the fact that there’s still ~1,500ft of climbing before the summit from here (I used 15% of my battery getting from this site to Truckee.. and that’ll be closer to 20% in the freezing cold winter)… I bet lots of people get range anxiety in that final push up the mountain.

Let’s get these going and then we can start the push for Colfax! I LOVE seeing all of this great charging infrastructure going in!!

Attachments

• IMG_5909.jpeg
    IMG_5909.jpeg
    963 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5910.jpeg
    IMG_5910.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 87
I haven’t seen the permit, however….. see my zoomed in ‘screen shot’ of site’s Proposal Description from post# 1

Reads…….. twenty posts and supporting equipment.

Does it look like they will begin to the left of the Charge Point chargers and go for twenty stalls?
That’d be awesome!!

Attachments

• IMG_5400.png
    IMG_5400.png
    536.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I haven’t seen the permit, however….. see my zoomed in ‘screen shot’ of site’s Proposal Description from post# 1

Reads…….. twenty posts and supporting equipment.

Does it look like they will begin to the left of the Charge Point chargers and go for twenty stalls?
That’d be awesome!!
Screenshot_20230928-192231.png
The original permit was scrapped and replaced with BLD23-02658. It had 8 stalls, but the notes indicate an update to 12

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM and Tyl
In the summer I can make it from home to our place in Truckee without stopping (either my wife's X or my Y). As it gets colder, that becomes less possible and I often stop at the Loomis location anyway for a quick bathroom break and 10 minutes of top-up. This new location might be nice for when I think I'll likely make it but I need a bail out location if I use more than I expect. The big question, as above, is whether it'll be cleared in winter when I actually need it.

A story related to that. In the winter of 2016 (I believe), we hadn't yet purchased our place so we had rented a house in Tahoe Donner for a long weekend and were headed up there in our 2016 Model X. There was a winter storm blowing in, and when we reached Colfax, they'd closed 80. Having "go fever," we decided to wait in Colfax with a couple of young kids, then decided to drive back down to the bowling alley in Auburn (where there is ironically now a Tesla Supercharger location). We threw some balls, drove back up to Colfax, found it was still closed with a lot of waiting, then drove back down to Auburn for pizza. Midway through eating, we got the notification that 80 was open. I did some quick calculations and decided that we could make it without driving back to the closest charger at the time (Rocklin) and back up the hill.

About an hour later, we were stopped on 80 in whiteout conditions. Despite not moving, obviously our battery was draining from keeping the pack warm. I had the seat heaters on, all other heat off. We had blankets thankfully, but I just kept watching my SOC drop as we sat still, wondering how a tow truck was going to get us in the middle of a snow banked interstate. We started moving and I was constantly calculating whether we'd make it over Donner Summit. The windshield was completely frozen and iced. I had to stick my head out of the side window to see enough to move forward (we were crawling anyway). We did make it over the pass, IIRC our SOC was 1%, and plugging into the Supercharger in Truckee was one of the most relieving things I've ever felt. After charging, we went to the rental to find it was a long, steep driveway that obviously hadn't been plowed. It was after midnight, I walked up and opened the garage and started shoveling. I believe I got inside at about 1am.

It was one of my three bad "state of charge" experiences in a Tesla. Probably the worst just because of conditions.

Work was delayed due to huge rock in the trench’s path. Stalls will be to the left of the ChargePoint stalls and several Tesla stalls will be right up against the mini mart building. Pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5861.jpeg
    IMG_5861.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5862.jpeg
    IMG_5862.jpeg
    898.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5864.jpeg
    IMG_5864.jpeg
    974.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5865.jpeg
    IMG_5865.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5866.jpeg
    IMG_5866.jpeg
    835.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5859.jpeg
    IMG_5859.jpeg
    809.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5858.jpeg
    IMG_5858.jpeg
    943.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5857.jpeg
    IMG_5857.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5856.jpeg
    IMG_5856.jpeg
    935.9 KB · Views: 74
A few more photos to study. It probably has two more months until completion. Soooo,………….. by years end.

Attachments

• IMG_5845.jpeg
    IMG_5845.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5844.jpeg
    IMG_5844.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5846.jpeg
    IMG_5846.jpeg
    919.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5855.jpeg
    IMG_5855.jpeg
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5851.jpeg
    IMG_5851.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5850.jpeg
    IMG_5850.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5848.jpeg
    IMG_5848.jpeg
    806.8 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Mrbrock
They are on the hustle, hoping to be done in a month. Charging stalls…. Three and then two up by the mini mart building for a total of 5 and 7 more across to the rear wall along to where the ChargePoint’s are.

Attachments

• IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 82
Stopped by on my way to Tahoe. Progress is looking good and hopefully these get finished before the bad weather next week.

It looks like at least two stalls (and maybe more) can be driven into without backing up… if that’s true, it will make it easier for those charging with a trailer in tow.

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpeg
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6194.jpeg
    IMG_6194.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6193.jpeg
    IMG_6193.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: ohmman and Tyl