Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacoma, WA (LIVE Mar 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited this site today with my rental. Busy but no problems. I charged the Hertz LFP M3 to 100, drove conservatively and was still at 90% by the time I returned it at SeaTac rentals. Hopefully that's good enough. Tukwila was full and I missed seeing Federal Way on the map until I passed it.

It just feels weird to charge up to 100% but an LFP can do it and I wanted to not annoy Hertz.

Attachments

• IMG20230404121345.jpg
    IMG20230404121345.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG20230404121349.jpg
    IMG20230404121349.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG20230404121356.jpg
    IMG20230404121356.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG20230404121421.jpg
    IMG20230404121421.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 63
Information for users.
Do not try to use the chargers while parked on the west side of the chargers except for the handycaped and side charger closest to the power banks. Use only the side of the chargers with wheel stops. Information provided by the Tesla electricians working there yesterday. They had to replace a broken cooling pump which caused some of the stalls to loose charging capability. These chargers at this location are level 2 chargers which does not help me with my 2018 MX 75D but is great for newer3s and Ys. Fact: did you know that the charger cables used at the newer chargers are liquid cooled? The cable sheath houses the electrical cable and a cooling cover too. If not cooled, the high amperage would require a cable about 4 inches in diameter.

Information for users.
Do not try to use the chargers while parked on the west side of the chargers except for the handycaped and side charger closest to the power banks. Use only the side of the chargers with wheel stops. Information provided by the Tesla electricians working there yesterday. They had to replace a broken cooling pump which caused some of the stalls to loose charging capability. These chargers at this location are level 2 chargers which does not help me with my 2018 MX 75D but is great for newer3s and Ys. Fact: did you know that the charger cables used at the newer chargers are liquid cooled? The cable sheath houses the electrical cable and a cooling cover too. If not cooled, the high amperage would require a cable about 4 inches in diameter.

"Level 2" refers to AC charging up to 80 amps - like what you'd have on a 240 volt circuit at home. These Superchargers are "Level 3," meaning DC (direct current) fast charging. Tesla Superchargers come in three flavors - "Version 2," which is up to 150 kW, "Urban," which is up to 72 kW, and "Version 3," up to 250 kW (which these are). "Version 4" is rolling out now, and is rumored to be up to 350 kW.

Information for users.
The V2 superchargers (up to 150kw) are not liquid cooled and are not close to 4” in diameter. The electricians were feeding you some exaggerated BS. They would be 1.5” or so, maybe 2” to get 250kw without liquid cooling, but nowhere close to 4”. The individual wires bringing power to the posts are 0.777” in diameter so you could fit 4 of those in a 1.56” diameter bundle plus insulation and you only need 2 for DC charging. They were correct in that these V3 provide up to 250kw which is only usable by newer vehicles (All LR M3/MY, MX/MS 2020+) while older MX/MS top out around 125kw.

Did anyone else see this post about the second Tacoma Supercharger coming up? I’ve been keeping an eye on Supercharge.info but nothing has popped up yet. Super cool to see a second one coming so close to this one.

You mean this one?

The day my hometown opened it's Supercharger one of us left a bottle of pee on one post (thx), doesn't make it a dump. Sure the mall is having trouble making ends meet in this challenging retail environment, but how bad does a site have to be to get the label Dump?

Personally the ones I hate are like Mt. Shasta where the entire mall has risen up to keep people from having a place to pee, these agreements should be worked out in advance. If you don't want our business tell Tesla before they build a charger.