Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Girdwood, AK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
La Conner, WA
Marco has found a proposal for an 8-stall Supercharger in Girdwood, Alaska.

There do not appear to be any permits issued for the project as of the end of 2023, but there might be something now/soon. Any insight would be helpful.

1707176757610.png

GPS 60.962934, -149.13699

Marco has found a proposal for an 8-stall Supercharger in Girdwood, Alaska.

There do not appear to be any permits issued for the project as of the end of 2023, but there might be something now/soon. Any insight would be helpful.

View attachment 1015702

GPS 60.962934, -149.13699
Because of the location, all plan reviews are run through Alaska State Fire. They use this portal which isn’t the greatest for searching. If the address matches exactly then it works but for now it’s best to go to advanced and use site city to search. For example, search Girdwood from the main search returns 4 results, advanced returns 152. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Not sure how Alyeska is a "Russian town" unless we are talking about hundreds of years ago.
The name Alyeska is a Slavic word (Алеска) that is a short form of Alexandra but it hasn’t been a Russian town for a very long time.

More interesting to me is that this is the first time I’ve seen a 750KVA transformer for an 8 stall supercharger. Every 8 stall supercharger I’ve ever used has had a 500MVA transformer and every 12 stall supercharger has had a 750KVA transformer. Very cold temperatures would make it easier, not more difficult, for a smaller transformer to cope with a given load.

• Informative
Reactions: sunnnv
The name Alyeska is a Slavic word (Алеска) that is a short form of Alexandra but it hasn’t been a Russian town for a very long time.

More interesting to me is that this is the first time I’ve seen a 750KVA transformer for an 8 stall supercharger. Every 8 stall supercharger I’ve ever used has had a 500MVA transformer and every 12 stall supercharger has had a 750KVA transformer. Very cold temperatures would make it easier, not more difficult, for a smaller transformer to cope with a given load.

Most V3 sites are 750 kVA for 8 stalls and 1000 kVA for 12 stalls. There are a few exceptions, of course. Many V2 sites are 500 kVA for 8 stalls.

Progress!

Slow, and in the wrong direction (sez I), but progress.

And weighing in on one of the more inane tiffs ever anywhere on TMC, I am pretty sure that zero Russian settlement ever existed where Alyeska sits.

Not even a Kievan Rus one🤪.

I thought this part was interesting in the application request.

View attachment 1019977
So does Tesla usually have to foot the bill for 3-phase power upgrades or is it being covered by the utility? I wonder how far they need to come, in this case? That sounds like it could take a while. Also somewhat interesting that Chugach Electric is forging ahead with new approvals with such a tenuous, gas-driven shortfall looming.

So does Tesla usually have to foot the bill for 3-phase power upgrades or is it being covered by the utility? I wonder how far they need to come, in this case? That sounds like it could take a while. Also somewhat interesting that Chugach Electric is forging ahead with new approvals with such a tenuous, gas-driven shortfall looming.
Good question, I would have to assume they do to some extent. But since the line adds to the local infrastructure, I'd guess 50%. I would have thought there was already a 3-phase trunkline feeding the Ski area for the Lifts. Having adequate power supply is one of the hurdles Tesla has to deal with when it comes to sighting the more remote locations. I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue here since it's relatively close to Anchorage.

Girdwood's 3-phase runs almost certainly only along the main road straight up to the mountain as the only "real" consumer of juice in the village is Alyeska Mt. and the Lodge itself (I can guarantee you its laundry machines run on 3Ø, and almost certainly its chiller rooms).

Chugach Elec. would need to branch it at the Hightower Rd. junction, run the several dozen yards and drop it at Ski Inn. Minor, but a necessary step.

Shouldn't take but a few years to accomplish.

Based on StreetView imagery, 3-phase power runs up the Alyeska Highway and turns north on Crow Creek Road. The overhead lines continue up Crow Creek Road toward the elementary school, and also split to the east, heading into Girdwood along Lindbald Avenue. The lines take a turn underground at approximately 182 Lindbald Avenue. More 3-phase can be found crossing east-west at Arlberg Avenue and Aspen Mountain Road, terminating at what appears to be an apartment building at 366 Crystal Mountain Road. I wasn't able to locate the resort's power feed.

I'm not sure what Tesla's interconnection plans are, but it appears to me that Girdwood already has quite a bit of 3-phase.

Based on StreetView imagery, 3-phase power runs up the Alyeska Highway and turns north on Crow Creek Road. The overhead lines continue up Crow Creek Road toward the elementary school, and also split to the east, heading into Girdwood along Lindbald Avenue. The lines take a turn underground at approximately 182 Lindbald Avenue. More 3-phase can be found crossing east-west at Arlberg Avenue and Aspen Mountain Road, terminating at what appears to be an apartment building at 366 Crystal Mountain Road. I wasn't able to locate the resort's power feed.

I'm not sure what Tesla's interconnection plans are, but it appears to me that Girdwood already has quite a bit of 3-phase.
If 3p doesn't run down the Alyeska Hwy but instead goes east-west across old Girdwood on Lindbald Ave, guessing they'd run a line down Holmgren Place to the SC site (~400 ft)? I've not looked at the town Comprehensive Plan to see where else they note would benefit from future development near there? There's currently overflow parking all along Girdwood Place and a Town Square Buffer Park to the south. Since the creek flows through the west side of the SC lot, I'm guessing they're hoping to develop the forested parcels on the north side of Girdwood Pl? Running power over to the resort from the Lindbald line is super strange to me because it must go under Glacier Creek? Seems much easier and less risky to run it along the highway but what do I know? 🤷‍♂️ Tesla is going to have this 3p issue at several intentioned locations on their SC Voting map. Glacier View, AK chief among them as it's not available anywhere in town. Not sure what they'd do there other than to add battery-supported hardware?

Reactions: Big Earl
In case anyone is interested, the Girdwood substation is on Gold Ave at Old West St. It is served by the Quartz Creek 115kV transmission line, which runs from Kenai Lake to Anchorage. The segment of the Quartz Creek line between the Girdwood substation and the Indian substation is due to be replaced over the next 18 months or so, to increase capacity and reliability and because the existing line is 60 years old and some of the towers are in avalanche-prone areas. The new towers will typically be about 25 feet taller than the towers being replaced. Under normal conditions, all the power passing from the primary (transmission) side to the secondary (distribution) side of the Girdwood substation originates at the Bradley Lake Hydroelectric Facility, so charging at the future Girdwood Supercharger should be 100% sustainable.