Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger tapering at what level?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 P85D. Most of the time I pull in to a Supercharger I have around 40% left and it seems I never get a starting rate above 70kW (sometimes as low as 40kW). Yesterday I tried the new Supercharger in Tsawwassen, BC with only 13% left and I got the following numbers (see below). It looks like the tapering starts a little after 30% which seems a little on the low side. Can anyone please give me an indication if this looks about right? Thanks for helping.

Stall Number: 1B
Nearest other car: 3A (left about half way through)
Total # of Bays: 12
Maximum # of cars charging: 3
Outside Temp: 5C (41F)
Battery warm when arriving (1hr of driving)

Time/ SOC/ Rate/ Miles per hour
3:15----- 13%-------- 104kW--------- 0
3:16----- 14%-------- 94kW---------- 270
3:20----- 20%-------- 93kW---------- 286
3:25----- 31%-------- 94kW---------- 300
3:30----- 38%-------- 85kW---------- 297
3:32----- 40%-------- 80kW---------- 292
3:34----- 45%-------- 76kW---------- 289
3:37----- 50%-------- 68kW---------- 279
3:40----- 55%-------- 62kW---------- 270
3:45----- 60%-------- 55kW---------- 258
3:54----- 70%-------- 46kW---------- 235

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KyleDay
Yep, the taper isn't just one point where it suddenly drops. I see a slight taper starting around 30% with it gradually increasing(decreasing?) until it just drops off a cliff after ~67-70%. That's pretty typical. If you want the best travel times, try to stay close to the bottom of the battery, leaving only ~10% buffer.

The link below have excellent graphs showing the taper based on which battery you have:

A Better Routeplanner

This was using data collected from hundreds of different Teslas You can see the biggest variable is what type of battery you have. It looks like the 100s have the best battery in terms of charging the longest at the highest kW possible, but all of the newer batteries seem to do better than the original 85.

It should also be noted that earlier on you're actually getting the 'speed' in kms added per hr connected however later on that falls way off. Shows 350 km/hr but you may only be getting 230. That's something that confuses me a bit. Maybe there's a smoothing effect to it or it's reporting an averaged out level?

It should also be noted that earlier on you're actually getting the 'speed' in kms added per hr connected however later on that falls way off. Shows 350 km/hr but you may only be getting 230. That's something that confuses me a bit. Maybe there's a smoothing effect to it or it's reporting an averaged out level?

The miles/km per hour is an average for the entire charge session. If you switch so it displays kWs that is an instantaneous reading.

There was (is) a rule of thumb for the 85 battery packs, the sum of the SOC (in %) plus the instantaneous power in kW is roughly 120 (I forget where I read this, but my car, an S85D, seems to behave this way). Your charging data seems to be consistent with that as well. It looks fine to me.

Bruce.