Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shared data statistics time!

Thanks to the generous data sharing of ABRP users the last couple of weeks, there is now some battery charging knowledge to share (and of course use in the ABRP models). I find this very interesting, I think some of you do too.

Here is the charging curve (SoC vs power) for the classic S85 battery, named BT85 in the option codes. Blue points are logged data points from users, yellow bars indicate how many logged charging sessions there are for this battery in the ABRP database. We see the classic S85 very high power at low SoC and then a rather steep drop already after 20%.
BT85.png

The X and S 100D battery, BTX6 is a beast! Full power charging all the way to 50%. We need more data at low SoC though.
BTX6.png

The S and X 90D battery, BTX4, has an increasing power curve up to 50% and a peculiar bend around 80%.

BTX4.png

Getting into shaky data territory - the S/X 75 battery BTX5 needs more data. Otherwise it looks quite a lot like the 90 kWh battery in terms of SoC % per time unit (lower absolute power because of smaller battery).

BTX5.png

There is actually one Model 3 Long Range owner who is contributing data, but I only have 10 data points so far and it only indicates where this is going.

We would all be very happy if you use ABRP more ;)

BT37.png

Also, there is only data from one BTX8 owner, i.e. the 85 kWh battery in a 75. This would be very interesting to get more data from!

How to contribute data: Log in to MyTesla in ABRP in the car browser or your phone. Do not uncheck "Share data". Keep a browser with ABRP open while charging. The car browser will shut down if you exit the car, so if you some time anyway sit in the car, keep ABRP open in the car browser.

Last edited:
Shared data statistics time!

Thanks to the generous data sharing of ABRP users the last couple of weeks, there is now some battery charging knowledge to share (and of course use in the ABRP models). I find this very interesting, I think some of you do too.

Here is the charging curve (SoC vs power) for the classic S85 battery, named BT85 in the option codes. Blue points are logged data points from users, yellow bars indicate how many logged charging sessions there are for this battery in the ABRP database. We see the classic S85 very high power at low SoC and then a rather steep drop already after 20%.
View attachment 263054

The X and S 100D battery, BTX6 is a beast! Full power charging all the way to 50%. We need more data at low SoC though.
View attachment 263055
The S and X 90D battery, BTX4, has an increasing power curve up to 50% and a peculiar bend around 80%.

View attachment 263056

Getting into shaky data territory - the S/X 75 battery BTX5 needs more data. Otherwise it looks quite a lot like the 90 kWh battery in terms of SoC % per time unit (lower absolute power because of smaller battery).

View attachment 263057

There is actually one Model 3 Long Range owner who is contributing data, but I only have 10 data points so far and it only indicates where this is going.

We would all be very happy if you use ABRP more ;)

View attachment 263058

Also, there is only data from one BTX8 owner, i.e. the 85 kWh battery in a 75. This would be very interesting to get more data from!

How to contribute data: Log in to MyTesla in ABRP in the car browser or your phone. Do not uncheck "Share data". Keep a browser with ABRP open while charging. The car browser will shut down if you exit the car, so if you some time anyway sit in the car, keep ABRP open in the car browser.
I think there is some good stuff here, but I'm a dummy and cant seem to understand what these graphs are telling me. Would you please explain - I think Charging Power means how much power goes into the car through my charge port. The comments indicate it is how much power I have to drive my wheels at various stages of depletion. I don't understand the comment -cant charge over 100kw - and how do you get this from the graph? See - I'm a well educated dummy.

@AZ Desert Driver
When you charge you start at a high rate of speed (100kW, 90kW, 80kW the vertical axis) when your charge level is low (the horizontal axis 20%, 40%, 60%...) . As your charge level increases the speed decreases. Since the technology needs to distribute the charge over all the cells it can't fill them as quickly and to ensure a long battery life.

@AZ Desert Driver
When you charge you start at a high rate of speed (100kW, 90kW, 80kW the vertical axis) when your charge level is low (the horizontal axis 20%, 40%, 60%...) . As your charge level increases the speed decreases. Since the technology needs to distribute the charge over all the cells it can't fill them as quickly and to ensure a long battery life.

There is certainly room for confusion when we mix kWh, battery %, and different car models which consume different amount of energy per distance. So here is a somewhat fair comparison:

Charging from 10 kWh usable battery left to 50 kWh usable battery is possible in all battery backs from 75 kWh and up, and it is a pretty common supercharging session. It will be less % SoC in a 100D than in a 75D but it will take you the same distance. At 120 kW all the time (without any battery limitations) it would take 40/120=1/3 hour=20 minutes. This is the time it takes to charge an actual battery under good conditions:
  • BT85 (85 kWh classic): 30 minutes
  • BTX6 (100 kWh): 21 minutes
  • BTX4 (90 kWh): 23 minutes
  • BTX5 (75 kWh): 27 minutes (yes - shorter than an 85, so do not complain about not reaching 100 kW ;))

What an extra $50k gets you, 6 minutes.

My back of the envelope calculation:

If I have 2 days a month when I do 1.7x the range of a 100 (i.e. optimal for a single charge from 10%-70%) then I would spend 3 hours longer charging a 75 :(

Of course the chance that I have exactly that length of journey is unlikely, but every journey in a 100 which exceeds the range of a 75, and every journey in a 100 that needs a charge, is increasingly time consuming in a 75.

Personally I average 2 days a month which are at about 1.5x the distance of my 90 battery, and 2 -3 journeys which are between max distance of 75 and 90 - i.e. I can manage that without charging in my car. For me its a significant amount of time saved each month

@AZ Desert Driver
Ahhh- so this the graphical representation of how..Charging tapers off as it gets full? Now I'm less of a dummy. Thanks

As a complaint- I came to this thread to find a better route planner. Mine want me to drive in strange circles. Is there an answer somewhere in the first 300 comments?

I came to this thread to find a better route planner. Mine want me to drive in strange circles. Is there an answer somewhere in the first 300 comments?

This thread, in general, is about this product:

A Better Routeplanner

If that's not the route planner that you are currently using then its likely to be helpful for your route planning :)

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and Duke-U
@blincoln
Did something change in your calculations in the last few days? I've been going back and forth trying to figure out if my upcoming trip is the hill I want to die on with my wife about upgrading my battery and it was showing about a 30 minute difference before, this morning I'm seeing an hour and a half! Which would just be awesome if you have implemented better calculations! Good thing I always start from the actual plan before trying out her "maybe we can stop here?" plans.

I've now read many of the 374 posts - I'm now crosseyed!! I did find/open "abetterrouteplanner" on my home computer and have taken it on a few test drives. First impression - WOW. Like all new things, there is a learning curve and I'll have to play more. It seems like it takes a long time to find an optimized route (approx 4 minutes to calculate Boston to Tucson). I'm afraid what will happen if I try to use my very slow Model S browser. I might get to the destination before the planner tells me how to get there!!

It just dawned on me- this Route Planner is solely for long distance trips. My trips around the neighborhood that have squirrely routes will not be solved by this supercharger linking program. My cars nav - flakey as it is, is better for neighborhoods than a-better-route-planner.

Yes, that would be right.

I use the Waze APP, on my phone, for actual route-driving - I expect you are aware of it? it is traffic-aware and will route around delays / roadworks and give early warning for Speed traps, cars stopped on the highway, etc.

I haven't tried it in-car, but the "effort" for the planning is external, so should be the same on both your super-high-speed PC and also the car's own browser.

Yes, ABRP is slow finding routes for me too ...

Did some more optimizations today and found an issue with duplicated entries in the distance database. Planning should be about twice as fast now...

Edit: Added some database caching, now more than 2X faster.

Last edited:
@blincoln
Did something change in your calculations in the last few days? I've been going back and forth trying to figure out if my upcoming trip is the hill I want to die on with my wife about upgrading my battery and it was showing about a 30 minute difference before, this morning I'm seeing an hour and a half! Which would just be awesome if you have implemented better calculations! Good thing I always start from the actual plan before trying out her "maybe we can stop here?" plans.

Yes I did update the charging curves for the 75, 90 and 100 batteries according to charging data shared from ABRP users logged in with MyTesla. Interesting that it affects your charging times so much - could you share the route with us by "Get Link" and pasting it here?