Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Temecula, CA (Winchester Rd., LIVE 10 May 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugshare commenters share my frustrations!

Victoria Jul 23, 2016 3:16 PM
Avoid this place like a plague on weekends or holidays. So unbelievably crowded! One guy told us it took him 45 minutes to get up to the 3rd floor where the Super chargers are because of all the traffic inside the parking garage.

45 minutes! Jesus

We took a two day trip to Big Bear and Anza Borrego March 24-25. Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Big Bear, Anza Borrego, March 24-25, 2017

We had a full charge (282 rated) leaving Cabazon Friday 6:30PM, but with dinner in Palm Springs and wandering around to see the sculptures and flowers in Anza Borrego, I saw we would have to make rated range = driving range over the 73 miles from Borrego Springs to Temecula. Fortunately it's a scenic and often winding road; I drove west of the pass on routes 22 and 29 at 55mph on TACC and only had to pull over once to let 4 cars go by.

At any rate we got to the Temecula mall about 5:30PM Saturday and that garage was parked quite solidly past the 3rd floor. It must have an ICEing problem because Tesla has hired a security guard to monitor the Tesla charge spots. He was quite chatty, has learned a lot about Tesla in his few weeks on the job, possibly a Model 3 customer in few years.

We did wonder about this location as Tesla MO is usually to situate superchargers at the farthest end of open lot parking, the Cabazon Outlet Mall being a good example. But all of the surrounding lots seem to be medium size with several business establishments/restaurants at each one. There is also a Costco about 1/4 mile from that parking garage.

Used this place twice. Took 5 minutes to drive up the ramps and plug in. Only two stalls occupied. It is a prime spot, right next to the elevator and stairwell. Go down to the 1st floor and you are right in the modern shopping center. A food court, lots of resturants, coffee shops, a big movie complex etc. Short hike to Costco and some other periphery stores.

At any rate we got to the Temecula mall about 5:30PM Saturday and that garage was parked quite solidly past the 3rd floor. It must have an ICEing problem because Tesla has hired a security guard to monitor the Tesla charge spots. He was quite chatty, has learned a lot about Tesla in his few weeks on the job, possibly a Model 3 customer in few years.
Wow, kudos to Tesla for supporting their customers this way!

I imagine the security guard only needs to be hired for peak hours at the mall when ICEing is a problem. In any case, we appreciate knowing that we'll be able to Supercharge next time we're on our way home from the San Diego area!

Reactions: Ulmo
I agree that Temecula is in an unusual location as Superchargers go. I have been there twice without incident, other than the circuitous climb inside the parking garage. I could imagine that during holidays and special events ingress and egress could be bad.

But I have to say that the worst location for a Supercharger is in Normal, Illinois. First, the location is quite a ways from the interstate, requiring a long drive through town. Second, the entrance into the parking garage is hard to find; the navigation is not clear as to which entrance into the garage to use. Third, the stalls are difficult to back into as they are just past a 180 degree turn as you drive up the ramp.

I agree that Temecula is in an unusual location as Superchargers go. I have been there twice without incident, other than the circuitous climb inside the parking garage. I could imagine that during holidays and special events ingress and egress could be bad.

But I have to say that the worst location for a Supercharger is in Normal, Illinois. First, the location is quite a ways from the interstate, requiring a long drive through town. Second, the entrance into the parking garage is hard to find; the navigation is not clear as to which entrance into the garage to use. Third, the stalls are difficult to back into as they are just past a 180 degree turn as you drive up the ramp.
Been there done that. The only good part is that your a half block from some really good restaurants...close to campus!!

We charge here whenever we are visiting our friends in Temecula; the last time was a couple of weeks ago. Everything above is accurate -- we make it a point to get there no later than about 10am and it isn't crowded in the parking structure yet. We haven't experienced having to wait, even on weekends, but plan to get there before the mall is busy.

Reactions: smilepak
First thing me here. Nice mall. Got confused as there are two parking structures next to each other. It is on the 3rd floor in the one by Edwards Theater.

Saw a model3 parked near by 8AA832A8-599C-48C3-AC58-91F9C92D47B4.jpeg

Used it every time we head north on I-15 and on the way back home. Never had any problems, although a few times it was slow going up to the 3rd level, but only about 5 minutes, not 45. Never had to wait, but have been the second one on the pair so slow starting in the charging, but usually not for long. Usually it is less than half full, and never saw any ICEing. Did see a San Diego employee Model 3 a few months ago. Since my wife was concerned with lack of instrument cluster, after they let her sit in the driver's seat she felt much better.

It will be nice when the new Supercharger on I-15, Lake Elsinore, a few miles north of Temecula, is opened. We plan to start using that one instead of this one when it does. Should be soon, I hope by the end of this month.

If you are visiting San Diego I recommend that you fill up at Temecula (or Lake Elsinore, when opened) on your way. If you do not use too much electrons while in San Diego then you can make it back to Supercharge at Temecula on your way home. The San Diego Supercharger almost ALWAYS had a waiting line of 10 minutes to 45 minutes or more. If you are able to plug in overnight where you are staying then you can do that also to have enough to get back to the SC.

As a side note, yesterday my wife and I visited the Tesla Store at UTC, San Diego, to see and sit in the Model 3. Lots of young couples there trying it on for size. It warms your heart. We got our invite last month but are waiting on the D model. Then we will be a 4-Tesla home (white Model S, blue Model 3, mini white and mini blue). Now the grandkids beg their parents to bring them to see Grandma and drive Grandpa's Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: smilepak
The only part of my experience st the Temecula Supercharger is that the $&@?! map would just take me to te middle of the malls' parking lot to the north. Had to stop an ask...then looked up posts in the my car while charging....east structure, bear right at the 3rd floor!
Spent 20 minutes driving around...ugh, I need a drink!
Happily, charged now and headed home on the last leg of my journey with the newly acquired P90D from SLC!

I decided to stop by this SC today as I was in the area to try out supercharging. I tried three different stalls but could not get more than 48KW for whatever reason even when parked in and A spot with no one in B. It was hard to find. Fortunately another Tesla was going in and I followed them up. Tesla should put some details on the map to state it is in the garage on floor 3.

It wasn’t too busy and only one ICE’d spot.

Attachments

• 96046935-E4A1-4DCE-AF7D-0464F1F035E2.jpeg
    96046935-E4A1-4DCE-AF7D-0464F1F035E2.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 57
Every time I look at my nav, Temecula has lots of stalls available.

Your charge rate could be due to you having a fairly full battery, a warm battery, or other factors. It often doesn’t have anything to do with the SC.
Thanks for the info. The battery wasn't in need of much charge so that is likely the reason. I only drove about 35 miles since last home charge.

We’ve previously had issues with at least a couple of the stalls in Temecula. On a mostly empty battery, we were only getting +/- 30 kW. Moved to a different stall and got over 100 kW. This doesn’t seem uncommon at some of the older, most heavily used Supercharger locations. Kudos to Tesla, though, for designing Superchargers to fail gracefully rather than completely stop working. Even 30 kW isn’t so bad if you get lost in the mall...

• Informative
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
We’ve previously had issues with at least a couple of the stalls in Temecula. On a mostly empty battery, we were only getting +/- 30 kW. Moved to a different stall and got over 100 kW. This doesn’t seem uncommon at some of the older, most heavily used Supercharger locations. Kudos to Tesla, though, for designing Superchargers to fail gracefully rather than completely stop working. Even 30 kW isn’t so bad if you get lost in the mall...
That wasn't the issue in this case. He now says the battery was mostly full so he really shouldn't have reported a slow charge rate as that is misleading to others.

It was hard to find. Fortunately another Tesla was going in and I followed them up. Tesla should put some details on the map to state it is in the garage on floor 3.

It does say 3rd floor on the info window when you click on the Supercharger on your map. But I agree, they could make it a little more clear. The navigation could pop up a message, 'Chargers on 3rd floor'. Once you are near the parking struction the pin on the map alone becomes useless.

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
It does say 3rd floor on the info window when you click on the Supercharger on your map. But I agree, they could make it a little more clear. The navigation could pop up a message, 'Chargers on 3rd floor'. Once you are near the parking struction the pin on the map alone becomes useless.
Indeed it does. I just went and looked. I overlooked it as I was looking near the bottom of the info panel