Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Turkey Lake, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Universal and Millennial Mall are equidistant from the intersection of TP and I-4.

Both also have similar traffic congestion, but MM has more to offer for a traveler to pass the time.

Hope we find out soon and this is installed before my delivery in December.

Going from Miami to Orlando in about two weeks, but staying at a hotel that does not yet offer L2 charging. I will (of course) harangue both the hotel and Universal Studios about the need to install chargers, but I also need to charge my car.

I'll be at the Hilton Parc Soleil near Ruby Lake. Any publicly-accessible chargers people would recommend near there? Maybe somewhere I can drop off the car in the morning before heading to Universal, then pick up afterward? And it looks like I'm stuck with 30A J1772 chargers, right? Any advice welcome... thanks!

Going from Miami to Orlando in about two weeks, but staying at a hotel that does not yet offer L2 charging. I will (of course) harangue both the hotel and Universal Studios about the need to install chargers, but I also need to charge my car.

I'll be at the Hilton Parc Soleil near Ruby Lake. Any publicly-accessible chargers people would recommend near there? Maybe somewhere I can drop off the car in the morning before heading to Universal, then pick up afterward? And it looks like I'm stuck with 30A J1772 chargers, right? Any advice welcome... thanks!

Hi Rodolfo,

Our club was successful in convincing The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, Orlando, FL to install two high capacity chargers (80 amp). The Ritz is about 5 miles from your hotel. The chargers at the Ritz are part of their valet parking operations. I was told that if you dine at one of their restaurants and get your ticket validated, the charging is free.

To get the full capacity you need to press the power button twice. If you don't press twice and have dual on-board chargers you will get only 48 amps. With dual on-board chargers its 80 amps at about 60 miles of range per hour if you press the power button twice. With a single on-board charger its still only 40 amps.

Larry

Last edited:
Yes, I saw the note about the Ritz-Carlton and forgot to give y'all an "attaboy" for work well done and a great contribution. Dinner at the Ritz may be a good option for one of those nights, though it might have been a better fit if Daniela and I weren't taking the kids and could linger... alone... sigh. :D

I'm going to try to find at least another two good options, because wandering around from charger to charger would definitely give my wife the wrong idea about the "convenience" of an electric car. Not what I want to do. But thanks for the Ritz suggestion!

Yes, I saw the note about the Ritz-Carlton and forgot to give y'all an "attaboy" for work well done and a great contribution. Dinner at the Ritz may be a good option for one of those nights, though it might have been a better fit if Daniela and I weren't taking the kids and could linger... alone... sigh. :D

I'm going to try to find at least another two good options, because wandering around from charger to charger would definitely give my wife the wrong idea about the "convenience" of an electric car. Not what I want to do. But thanks for the Ritz suggestion!

Hi Rodolfo,

I completely understand.

I'm afraid I'm out of any good ideas.

The Best Western Plus Orlando Gateway Hotel, Universal Boulevard, Orlando, FL has two high capacity 80 amp chargers and its about 6 miles from your hotel. The problem is that the last time I called over there you had to be an overnight guest to use them. You might want to give them a call to see if the policy has changed or if I got an uninformed person when I called.

Larry

Larry, I have one on board charger. How do you get 48amp from a HPWC? My screen says 40 amps, and the up arrow wont increase it when connected. Note this is when volts are around 200, so I am not running at full 10k charge rate. Seems the amps should be allowed to be increased.

Larry, I have one on board charger. How do you get 48amp from a HPWC? My screen says 40 amps, and the up arrow wont increase it when connected. Note this is when volts are around 200, so I am not running at full 10k charge rate. Seems the amps should be allowed to be increased.

Hi Alex,

You are correct. I was confused. On the high power chargers at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando if you have dual on-board chargers and don't press the power button twice you will get 48 amps.

You can't get more than 40 amps with a single on-board charger. I'll correct my earlier posting to avoid further confusion. :redface:

Larry

I'm visiting Universal Studios in Orlando from Miami in October. The travel from the PSL SC to Orlando and back is approximately 250 miles. I called all three of the Universal Hotels (Portofino, Pacific Royal, and Hard Rock). They all said they have 110 outlets only. I told them about Tesla's standing offer to provide HPWCs to any business for free if they allow free use of the devices for Tesla owners. The valet supervisor at the Portofino sounded interested and admitted he wasn't aware of the HPWC offer (or even what those were). He said he would pass along information about Tesla's offer to management, and I gave him the contact info for my service rep who told me to always feel free to provide her information to any interested business. How the on-site properties at Universal don't have at least 240 outlets or one EV parking space is beyond me. I'm hopeful that if more of us call these hotels and encourage them to install the HPWCs, they will realize there is sufficient demand and do it. You can call (407) 503-3200 (concierge at the Royal Pacific) and ask to be transferred to management there; they will also transfer you to the other properties.

I'm visiting Universal Studios in Orlando from Miami in October. The travel from the PSL SC to Orlando and back is approximately 250 miles. I called all three of the Universal Hotels (Portofino, Pacific Royal, and Hard Rock). They all said they have 110 outlets only. I told them about Tesla's standing offer to provide HPWCs to any business for free if they allow free use of the devices for Tesla owners. The valet supervisor at the Portofino sounded interested and admitted he wasn't aware of the HPWC offer (or even what those were). He said he would pass along information about Tesla's offer to management, and I gave him the contact info for my service rep who told me to always feel free to provide her information to any interested business. How the on-site properties at Universal don't have at least 240 outlets or one EV parking space is beyond me. I'm hopeful that if more of us call these hotels and encourage them to install the HPWCs, they will realize there is sufficient demand and do it. You can call (407) 503-3200 (concierge at the Royal Pacific) and ask to be transferred to management there; they will also transfer you to the other properties.

Just remember that the lowly 120 Volt outlet will give you 50 rated miles per day. Take a shuttle to the park and let your Tesla sip on that trickle charge; it does add up...

Rudolfo,
We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation at Seaworld a couple months ago. (While touring the Parc Soleil) They have J1772 chargers next to the main lobby. Call them, maybe they will shuttle you between their hotels. Worth a shot.
Kent

I wasn't aware of Tesla offering HPWC's to businesses if they then offer free charging. I've searched Tesla's website for that kind of offer but haven't found any.

Where can I get more detail on it? I'm already in contact with the Universal Studios people and two Hilton properties, but so far just prodding them to investigate the issue. I'd love to provide more useful info to them.

I wasn't aware of Tesla offering HPWC's to businesses if they then offer free charging. I've searched Tesla's website for that kind of offer but haven't found any.

Where can I get more detail on it? I'm already in contact with the Universal Studios people and two Hilton properties, but so far just prodding them to investigate the issue. I'd love to provide more useful info to them.

Send a a message to Larry Chanin. He is working with Tesla to spread word on the program in Florida.

From the Tesla Motors Supercharger Page:

How can I charge at my destination?
Tesla is working with hotels, resorts, and other destinations to encourage the installation of High Power Wall Connectors where our customers spend time away from home. If your organization is interested in offering charging to Tesla owners, send us a note here, or email [email protected]

Got some information today that Tesla is working on getting a SC be placed at a rest station on the turnpike around Orlando. Would be great. However Orlando has 7 or so Chademos, with a new one just placed at the Hyatt (old Peabody). There is also a 80 amp Sun Country Charger at the Best Western next to wet and wild. So Orlando is getting good as a destination.

Hi Rodolfo,

As I understand it Tesla's position on the issue of requiring free charging to qualify as a destination is evolving and is not a hard and fast. For instance many of the luxury hotels and resorts have their charging integrated into the valet parking operations. Usually there is a fee for valet services, but I'm pretty sure that that wouldn't disqualify a hotel from participating in the Destination Charging Program.

I sent you an email.

Larry

Last edited:
Got some information today that Tesla is working on getting a SC be placed at a rest station on the turnpike around Orlando. Would be great. However Orlando has 7 or so Chademos, with a new one just placed at the Hyatt (old Peabody). There is also a 80 amp Sun Country Charger at the Best Western next to wet and wild. So Orlando is getting good as a destination.

(sound of record scratching). Hang on a minute. This is big news that there is an 80A Sun Country Charger in Orlando! I just verified it on Sun Country's website. Dual chargers FTW.