Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Turkey Lake, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used the superchargers at Port St Lucie, Port Orange, Ft Myers, Tampa, and Lake City. On several occasions I usually have been the only car on the charger. The most I have ever seen was three at a recent Tampa stop, and I was leaving as the third car was pulling in.

I've used the Tampa and Ft Myers superchargers and Tampa is the most popular, almost always one or two cars and myself. Ft Myers is usually just me, busiest I've seen there was myself and two others, and that was a Friday night around 11:00

Other non supercharger type chargers local to me have been full, four spots at the Palm ave parking garage in Sarasota all taken by two Volts, one leaf and myself, spotted another Tesla parked in a regular parking spot on the way out. Hope this helps answer your question RandompersonX.

I stopped by the Turkey Lake Plaza (Orlando Supercharger) location this morning. I spoke with one of the supervisors. He stated that the location will have six stations and they should be completed with the construction in less than two weeks. He also explained that he would be attending a meeting today about the Fort Drum Plaza Supercharger because this crew will build at that location next.

The Superchargers are located on the southbound side of the plaza, immediately after you exit the off-ramp to the service plaza (in the first parking spaces).
There is an easy turn-around between the food facility and the gas station if you want to go northbound on the turnpike. Hope this information helps. I have some pictures as soon as I figure out how to get them from my I-Phone to my Computer.

I stopped by the Turkey Lake Plaza (Orlando Supercharger) location this morning. I spoke with one of the supervisors. He stated that the location will have six stations and they should be completed with the construction in less than two weeks. He also explained that he would be attending a meeting today about the Fort Drum Plaza Supercharger because this crew will build at that location next.

The Superchargers are located on the southbound side of the plaza, immediately after you exit the off-ramp to the service plaza (in the first parking spaces).
There is an easy turn-around between the food facility and the gas station if you want to go northbound on the turnpike. Hope this information helps. I have some pictures as soon as I figure out how to get them from my I-Phone to my Computer.

Thanks for the update! Great to hear about Fort Drum as well.

I swung by Turkey Lake today. As you enter the plaza from the North (southbound) the chargers are on your immediate left, however you have to drive past them and make a u-turn to access them on the other side of the divider. The pedestals are designed for pull in and the parking spaces are diagonal. In the pictures the wall on the right hides the cabinets. It appears they still need to pour the pad for the cabinets.

TLP1.jpg
TLP2.jpg
TLP3.jpg
TLP4.jpg
TLP5.jpg

Last edited:
Were you driving thru or did you test the U-turn process?

Still curious of how this will work on the TP as it's unclear from their website. For instance, those using I-4 would access this SC, from the I-4 interchange and make a U-turn, charge, and then exit back to the I-4 interchange.

What would the toll charge be?

Still curious of how this will work on the TP as it's unclear from their website. For instance, those using I-4 would access this SC, from the I-4 interchange and make a U-turn, charge, and then exit back to the I-4 interchange.

What would the toll charge be?

The TP charge is not for distance but you pay when you pass through the toll station. IIRC on exiting the I-4 you have to pass through the station to get onto the Turnpike so pay 75c cash (or 52c with SunPass), it's exactly 5 miles to the Superchargers and then 5 miles back, you'll then have to pass through the toll station again to exit the Turnpike so another 75c please.

Total is 10 miles and $1.50 in tolls; but hey the electrons are free! :)

P.S. if you're coming from the 408 to the plaza and leaving the same way then there are zero tolls but that's a helluva detour from the Interstate to avoid $1.50.

The TP charge is not for distance but you pay when you pass through the toll station. IIRC on exiting the I-4 you have to pass through the station to get onto the Turnpike so pay 75c cash (or 52c with SunPass), it's exactly 5 miles to the Superchargers and then 5 miles back, you'll then have to pass through the toll station again to exit the Turnpike so another 75c please.

Total is 10 miles and $1.50 in tolls; but hey the electrons are free! :)

P.S. if you're coming from the 408 to the plaza and leaving the same way then there are zero tolls but that's a helluva detour from the Interstate to avoid $1.50.

Probably for another thread, but for the Fort Drum service center I believe the tolls are distance-based, so Ssssly's question will apply there.

Probably for another thread, but for the Fort Drum service center I believe the tolls are distance-based, so Ssssly's question will apply there.

I think at Fort Drum the tolls should be largely immaterial as there's the Superchargers at Port St Lucie; IOW I doubt anyone would bother to detour off I-95 when they could just stop as PSL. If you already driving the Turnpike then you're already paying the tolls and there's no additional cost in that scenario.

It works well for me, too, specifically because of the difficulty I've had recently charging overnight in Orlando (see Supercharger in Orlando (Confirmed?) - Page 9). Now I will be able to just forget about overnight charging and charge at Turkey Lake on the way home.

Wish I could say the same. I've had a ton of trouble getting L2 charging in Orlando, and Turkey Lake appears to be on the north side of Orlando. So while it's an improvement (I can take 90 minutes to go charge and be full), my wife is still going to see this as a significant downside to traveling on electrons... and she'll be right. Going from Miami to Orlando and back, Turkey Lake does not appear to make dramatic improvements to my traveling needs.

Neither does Fort Drum, I would think, though at least I wouldn't have to get off the Turnpike in that case. It's a minor improvement over PSL, but only minor. 152 real miles (213 rated) from Midtown Miami to Fort Drum, then 79 real (110 rated) from Fort Drum to Universal Studios if anyone wants the numbers.

I'll say thanks for what we are getting, and keep my fingers crossed for another (south-ish) Orlando location in the future.

Has anyone tried this place? It's part of the Sun Country Highway/Best Western Partnership. They claim to have an 80 Amp J1772 and the Sun Country Highway supposedly sets pretty high standards.

Orlando – Best Western Plus Orlando Gateway – SCH100/80amp
Charger type: SCH-100, 80 amp EV Charger
7299 Universal Blvd
Orlando, FL
+1 407-351-5009 ‎
BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway

Has anyone tried this place? It's part of the Sun Country Highway/Best Western Partnership. They claim to have an 80 Amp J1772 and the Sun Country Highway supposedly sets pretty high standards.

Orlando – Best Western Plus Orlando Gateway – SCH100/80amp
Charger type: SCH-100, 80 amp EV Charger
7299 Universal Blvd
Orlando, FL
+1 407-351-5009 ‎
BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway

It's mentioned in the hotel thread above. Apparently you have to be staying there.

Just stopped by again today for another look. The transformer is installed. They said it should be online in about "a month".

FYI. If you are headed South on the turnpike and are wanting to take 408 towards downtown, you can continue South on the turnpike to the Turkey Lake Plaza, charge and then pull a u-turn and head back to 408 without going through any tolls.
MCOTesla1.jpg
MCOTesla4.jpg

I don't think that was a planned improvement in design, Tesla simply had no choice at this location. It's a single lane road with diagonal parking, impossible to back in even if you wanted to.

It didn't deter Disney at Epcot. I have to back into a diagonal space after pulling into the lane going the wrong direction. Savannah also has nose in charging but it is not diagonal.