Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Turkey Lake, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 10 and 9 year old with me, and we thought it would be fun to try the train. We've got a family sleeper room, so the overnight part should be easy. We're staying one night in Orlando, and will likely use the car a bit while we're there, so I think the Orlando SC on the way out makes the most sense. We will be driving back home from Ft. Lauderdale after the cruise.

I've taken the autotrain many times, and find it to be a fun experience even as an adult.

Out of curiosity, do you have any concerns about the air suspension while on the train ride? (I am awaiting my December delivery still, so no experience of Tesla on a train)

Spoke to installation crew supervisor. He stated that Turkey Lake and Fort Drum will be ready before Thanksgiving. I also noticed that all six SC stations allow 30 minute parking for all vehicles. In addition to the six SC stations, there are six additional spaces next to handicap parking dedicated for any EV.

Please let us know about your experience with the Auto Train. We are driving from DC to Florida in our MS85 and taking the Auto Train back in January.

I've got a 10 and 9 year old with me, and we thought it would be fun to try the train. We've got a family sleeper room, so the overnight part should be easy. We're staying one night in Orlando, and will likely use the car a bit while we're there, so I think the Orlando SC on the way out makes the most sense. We will be driving back home from Ft. Lauderdale after the cruise.

Please let us know about your experience with the Auto Train. We are driving from DC to Florida in our MS85 and taking the Auto Train back in January.

I just read the manual section about towing, and they say that while on a tow truck, the vehicle should be in "Jack" mode. I suspect the same thing applies for Auto Train. But yeah, please post about your experience, as I am sure I will do this myself at some point.

Larry: What's the latest on past rumors that Tesla considering superchargers to a sub-ten minute? If technically possible, that would solve the present and future congestion on the supercharger sites.
http://insideevs.com/tesla-says-sub-10-minute-supercharging-is-possible-we-doubt-it/

Hi Leo,

Sorry I missed your question. I was traveling.

I don't have any inside information regarding this rumor. I do agree with the authors that we won't see anything like this from Tesla for a long time. First, Supercharger congestion would have to be pretty severe, and if so Tesla would first implement widespread Superswapping.

However, flash charging technology already exists for electric busses. Due to the large amount of power transferred it requires robotic connections to handle the high capacity connectors and heavy cables.

ABB demonstrates technology to power flash charging electric bus in 15 seconds

By the way, welcome to the forum and our club.

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Turkey Lake "appears" open. There are no indications that it is non-functional (no signs). However, my wife was in an ICE car so she couldn't test it. If it isn't powered up yet, I would expect some signs or to see the cables taped off.

I went by this afternoon. The TESLA is not lit and when I tried to charge nothing happens. Everything looks ready except for some patching of the pavement where a ditch has been back filled.

Maybe waiting for a final inspection?

Thanks DeeC. Keep us posted as I will need to make alternate plans regarding my stay in Orlando, on way to Miami, if this one is not open come Monday. Thanks.

Welcome to the Sunshine State.

The following link may assist you in your planning.

Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations

Just zoom into the area of Florida that you are interested in to find hotels and resorts with overnight charging.

Larry

Went by again this morning. The area around the supercharger pedestals has been repaired and the stripes have been painted in the proper places. Still no power. I live about 10 minutes from the service plaza so I'll check again later in the week.