Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tyngsborough, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Found a town document in which the installation of an electrical pole was discussed for "Tesla charging stations" coming soon to 440 Middlesex Rd. I'm pretty sure this is the location since there is a planned Supercharger for Tyngsborough this year.

Tyngsborough.jpg

That makes sense. The Supercharger map shows a location next to the bridge which isn't near any amenities, but I guess that was because that's the center of Tyngsboro. 440 is the mall with the movie theater, it has some fast food near the front, that would be the best place to site it.

Thank you! This is the best information I have seen so far. My wife and I have been wondering where they would put it. Several restaurants, Dunkin', and other food places, plus some shopping options. What was the date of this document?

A great location on the state line, I'm always getting off that exit for a bunch of reasons.
Maybe I'll call Doug at Ranger's BBQ and convince him to move his truck over to the supercharger lot for increased business :)
Smokey Bones, just across Middlesex Road, is a great BBQ place as well.

This is a good location, in a heavily developed retail strip - it will make trips to Costco and Pheasant Lane a little easier.

As you say, it's on the state line - if you look at the JC Penny's in the mall, it has a corner cut off. This is to prevent it crossing the line, which might have made the entire mall subject to MA sales tax. The border now runs several feet south of the wall. There's a cut in the sidewalk and parking lot showing the surveyed location of the state line.

Funny how there's a big mall just over the state line on both 3 and 93 :D with apple stores too...
When the Pheasant lane mall opened I referred to it as the Mike Dukakis Memorial Mall. For those too old to remember Dukakis sent Mass troupers into NH to write down MA license plates that were parked at NH State liquor stores, Meldrim Thomson, the gov of NH, had the Mass troupers arrested for trespassing, that ended that. The Pheasant Lane Mall opened shortly after that with all of the stores in NH and the parking lot in MA which must have given Dukakis conniptions.

When the Pheasant lane mall opened I referred to it as the Mike Dukakis Memorial Mall. For those too old to remember Dukakis sent Mass troupers into NH to write down MA license plates that were parked at NH State liquor stores, Meldrim Thomson, the gov of NH, had the Mass troupers arrested for trespassing, that ended that. The Pheasant Lane Mall opened shortly after that with all of the stores in NH and the parking lot in MA which must have given Dukakis conniptions.
Was Dukakis also the Governor who was quoted as saying (in regard to Route 3 improvement) "I will not pave the road to New Hampshire"?

As you say, it's on the state line - if you look at the JC Penny's in the mall, it has a corner cut off. This is to prevent it crossing the line, which might have made the entire mall subject to MA sales tax. The border now runs several feet south of the wall. There's a cut in the sidewalk and parking lot showing the surveyed location of the state line.
Hilarious, I never noticed that. Coincidence that the EVgo station is on the MA side of the border?

1623251473378.png

In 1977, he ordered tax agents into New Hampshire to watch those coming out of liquor stores and headed over the Massachusetts border with more than the legal limit of three gallons of alcohol.

During that brief "liquor war," some of those tax agents were arrested by New Hampshire police. They were later released when police couldn't decide what to charge them with.

That row between the states died gradually, with Massachusetts withdrawing its agents and New Hampshire continuing to sell many times more liquor than its 800,000 people could consume.

Brings back memories - no family summer trip to Mt Desert, ME would be complete without the obligatory stop in Portsmouth to stuff few cases under the bow of the boat in tow!

I drove around yesterday and didn't see anything in that movie theater location but there is construction at the mall which looks interesting. Only "problem" is that it is in NH. IMHO the mall is a little bit more of a destination than that movie theater area which is a strip mall that looks kinda sad at the moment. Rough guess is that the strip mall is maybe 1/3 vacant.

The area at the mall is in the parking lot away from the mall south west of the Burton's Grill restaurant. I don't see anything that 100% confirms it is a supercharger but I see things that could be the charger pads for each one.

Reactions: Tdreamer
I drove around yesterday and didn't see anything in that movie theater location but there is construction at the mall which looks interesting. Only "problem" is that it is in NH. IMHO the mall is a little bit more of a destination than that movie theater area which is a strip mall that looks kinda sad at the moment. Rough guess is that the strip mall is maybe 1/3 vacant.

The area at the mall is in the parking lot away from the mall south west of the Burton's Grill restaurant. I don't see anything that 100% confirms it is a supercharger but I see things that could be the charger pads for each one.
There is a Duncan Donuts in the strip mall which is ideal for a Supercharger location. Big malls like the Pheasant Lane are terrible locations for Superchargers because you have a long walk to get to the mall. You only charger for about 15 minutes which makes Duncan Donuts perfect, it will be a short walk, the bathrooms are clean and who doesn't love a French Cruller.

I happened to drive by again today at lunch and lots of new equipment is on the construction site. One of the boxes had "Electrify America" on it. I went to the Electrify America website and it does look like they plan to have a site there. So no, this isn't the Tesla Tyngsborough, MA Supercharger but it looks like there will be a bunch of CSS chargers here... to add to the EVgo site a thousand feet away.

I happened to drive by again today at lunch and lots of new equipment is on the construction site. One of the boxes had "Electrify America" on it. I went to the Electrify America website and it does look like they plan to have a site there. So no, this isn't the Tesla Tyngsborough, MA Supercharger but it looks like there will be a bunch of CSS chargers here... to add to the EVgo site a thousand feet away.
Its pretty clear that we're going to see some unification of charging infrastructure, probably on CCS1 with adapters for Tesla -> CCS1 and CCS1 -> Tesla. I think its pretty suboptimal to scatter different chargers across the landscape - they would be better in once location.

Its pretty clear that we're going to see some unification of charging infrastructure, probably on CCS1 with adapters for Tesla -> CCS1 and CCS1 -> Tesla. I think its pretty suboptimal to scatter different chargers across the landscape - they would be better in once location.
Tesla hasn't said anything about a Tesla to CCS1 adapter, last year there were reports that they had one in Korea but there hasn't been any news about it since. Musk did say that they are going to have a CCS to Tesla adapter to allow CCS cars to charge at Superchargers. I don't get why they would build a CCS to Tesla but not a Tesla to CCS adapter. Eventually being able to charge at a CCS station as a fall back if there are no Superchargers around would be useful.

Tesla hasn't said anything about a Tesla to CCS1 adapter, last year there were reports that they had one in Korea but there hasn't been any news about it since. Musk did say that they are going to have a CCS to Tesla adapter to allow CCS cars to charge at Superchargers. I don't get why they would build a CCS to Tesla but not a Tesla to CCS adapter. Eventually being able to charge at a CCS station as a fall back if there are no Superchargers around would be useful.
I think you have those switched. A Tesla to CCS adaptor would allow a non-Tesla to charge off a supercharger. No Tesla owner really wants this.
A CCS to Tesla adaptor is what is available in S. Korea and people are begging for it to be brought to NA.

There's $7.5B in Federal funds in the infrastructure bill to expand EV charging infrastructure. I haven't seen the text, but if it doesn't require subsidized charging stations to be open to all makes of EVs, I'd be astonished. No way would the Feds subsidize Tesla-only superchargers, and I'm sure Tesla isn't going to ignore the free money.

So, I'm pretty sure we'll see some accommodation for cars with CCS1 connectors. We'll also see CCS1 adapters for Tesla connector cars. They already have one for CHaDeMo (or however its capitalized).

I'm visiting Nashua, NH this week - drove up from Georgia with my TM3 LR. I'm kind of surprised at how many Tesla's I see here, yet the closest supercharger is in Littleton MA. The Tyngsboro SC will be a great location for Nashuans when it comes online. Still, it's surprising at how few there are here in NH.

Stopped by yesterday and there was no construction in this mini mall yet. There was a lot of work across the street at Pheasant Lane mall where 4 charging cabinets for Electrify America were being installed. Not sure of the logic of the placement given that there are EvGo chargers at that mall that have been there for several years.