Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers: 150kW, 250kW ... is there much difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently noticed the car displaying the 'preconditioning for supercharging' message a full 90 minutes prior to reaching the superchargers on multiple stops during a road trip (this was a M3 in case relevant). It was about 40F which is cold to be sure, but during previous winters we never saw the preconditioning notice more than around 30 mins prior to arriving at the charger.

It made me wonder...if the battery heater is running for that long, what impact is that having on efficiency? At some point I would think the wasted energy would outweigh the faster charging speeds gained by preconditioning further? Or maybe this is just a recent bug....
It makes a massive difference; on a recent trip in -25C temps, the first half of the trip (with the Supercharger in the destination and pre-conditoning) useage was well over 300 Wh/km; the second half of the trip to my house with no preconditioning was around 204 Wh/km. Cruise set at 115 km/h for both sections of the trip.

No one said that battery preconditioning didn't consume any power. What we're saying is that the new method which heats more gently during a longer period doesn't seem to take more power than the previous method that heat more aggressively during a shorter period. And as a bonus it's now gentler on the motors/electronics as well as the battery.

I have read that the latest software will warm the battery pack more slowly than was previously done when navigating to a Supercharger. There was a statement about hot coolant entering the cold battery pack not being good for the battery.

That has been my real world experience. I don't know if/when it actually happened, but my Supercharger preconditioning experience from Aug'20 to about Nov'20 was that it only preconditioned for about 15 to 20 minutes before arrival. After that it seems to precondition an hour or more before arrival.

I think it actually also has to do with anticipated arrival SoC. If it thinks you're going to arrive very low it won't spend more energy warming up. If you're going to arrive with plenty then it'll use energy to warm itself ahead of time. But I have no Tesla documented evidence of this.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
I have read that the latest software will warm the battery pack more slowly than was previously done when navigating to a Supercharger. There was a statement about hot coolant entering the cold battery pack not being good for the battery.
I'll test this at some point this winter but from what I'm seeing now, there's no difference in the coolant flow, Stator motor temps, coolant temp prior to entering the battery pack, etc. I have my logs pre-2021.4.11 and post-2021.4.11, so I'll be able to compare with the more recent software updates.

Reactions: andaconda
Recently noticed the car displaying the 'preconditioning for supercharging' message a full 90 minutes prior to reaching the superchargers on multiple stops during a road trip (this was a M3 in case relevant). It was about 40F which is cold to be sure, but during previous winters we never saw the preconditioning notice more than around 30 mins prior to arriving at the charger.

It made me wonder...if the battery heater is running for that long, what impact is that having on efficiency? At some point I would think the wasted energy would outweigh the faster charging speeds gained by preconditioning further? Or maybe this is just a recent bug....
While the vehicle is in motion, the front Stator motor draws typically 2.0 kW for the preconditioning. It'll waver and bounce around between 1.5-2.5 kW but generally, it's around 2.0 kWh. Since dual motor 3 and Y are 100% RWD unless there's a traction issue on the rear axle, or more power is needed, the front motors don't really generate any heat in normal driving conditions, which is why the Stator motors draw energy to produce heat. Since the front motor is induction and the rear is a permanent magnet, induction motors are less efficient (produce more heat), so Tesla designed their system to draw more heat from the front motor. The highest I've seen the front Stator reach is 253F. The highest I've seen the rear Stator motor reach is 205F.

TLDR roughly 2 extra kW to precondition (per hour), assuming the vehicle remains in motion.

Here's a datalog from early winter 2020, prior to the first cold weather update that started the preconditioning process earlier. This is when the community noticed the car would pull heat from the battery pack to warm the cabin, resulting in a colder-than-normal battery pack, preventing fast supercharging (and slower acceleration).
1640182186570.png

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet

I read that they recently changed the preconditioning strategy to start earlier at a lower power level rather than heating the coolant to a high temperature for a short period of time... there is a lot of speculation as to why they changed the strategy, most think it is less stressful to the battery to warm it over a long period of time rather than heating it up rapidly.

Keith

I read that they recently changed the preconditioning strategy to start earlier at a lower power level rather than heating the coolant to a high temperature for a short period of time... there is a lot of speculation as to why they changed the strategy, most think it is less stressful to the battery to warm it over a long period of time rather than heating it up rapidly.

Keith

It helps maintain the flavor. If you cook it too fast it gets all rubbery.

• Funny
Reactions: Fourdoor