Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in the Carolinas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Model 3 owner. I am planning a trip from New Smyrna Beach FL to the mountains of NC. There are a lot of Teslas in Florida and the number is growing. Many Floridians travel regularly to the mountains of NC to escape the heat. The number of Supercharger stations in this area is minimal. The route to the mountains is up I95 and I26. If I am headed north on I95 and want to turn west on I26, the only supercharger in that area is at Santee which is a good distance beyond where I turn. I think I will have to drive about 50 miles out of my way to get a charge. The next supercharger up I26 is in Columbia SC but is actually on the opposite side of Columbia from this very heavily travelled interstate, another 50 miles out of my way. The next one is in Asheville. If I want to go to the skiing area around Boone NC, or down to the Smoky Mountains, there are no superchargers at all. There are no super chargers between Asheville and the Atlanta area. We need more superchargers in these highly travelled resort areas.

If it helps, I've charged at the Santee supercharger when coming up I95 N while headed to Columbia on I26. I think charging in Santee will only add 15 miles to your trip vs. the 50 you mention. The Santee supercharger is about 15 miles north of I26. Once charged you can take US 301 back to I26 which is also around 15 miles but takes you to a point around 15 miles up on I26. So while you drive a total of 30 miles to Santee and back you should compare that to the 15 miles it would have taken you to get to the same point on I26 without a stop in Santee. So, I'd call is 15 miles out of your way. I've also charged at the Columbia supercharger and that one is a bit more out of your way by around ~ 25 miles (12.5 miles each way). Once you get into the mountains near Boone, etc. you're right, there are no superchargers and you're dependent on others types of charging stations.

yep. I-26 area superchargers other then the Asheville one are placed for other interstates and are less then ideal for I-26 travel.
they work to a degree, but it does require significant detours. the positive side of it is I have had some rather interesting drives on 2 lane south Carolina highways that I would have never done otherwise. I also find I-26 from I-95 to Columbia sc to be relatively congested at times during the summer with beach traffic.
leaving I-95 around savannah to detour to augusta, ga is actually a pretty good route. minimal traffic on the 2 lanes before you encounter 4 lane highways with minimal traffic lights.

Unfortunately the model 3 still cant use the chademo adapter, that would add more potential options if it was available.

There are no super chargers between Asheville and the Atlanta area. We need more superchargers in these highly travelled resort areas.

Actually if you go up from Atlanta on I-85 you get the Greenville area superchargers (8 of them) in Hilton Garden Inn property that is right off Woodruff Road Exit of I-85. And to go to Asheville you can either go up I-85 and take I-26 or just go through Greenville and up the beautiful Route 25 to meet up with I-26 not far from Asheville.