Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boone, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Endorsed. That's your pro tip right there.

Thank you FSF and welcome to the forum! Did you see anything that actually said Tesla on it, or any other electrical supply brands? (e.g. GE switchgear)
Thanks! Unfortunately, I did not see anything as I believe they are just starting. Had to make a stop at CVS on the way home. If I see anything I will report it. The only somewhat clear indicator would be the long gray conduit piping on the ground and the markings on the pavement for the current electrical lines.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Permit for Boone
Fa73Z6wXgAA2VQx.png

Absolutely fantastic news. This helps those of us in upstate SC too from not having to go to CLT. CLT is so overwhelmed as it is, so having one in Asheville will hopefully alleviate their constraints as well. The video I found said it should be open by the end of the year which seems super quick.
That's my video... original discussions happened back in early spring, but they just closed on the property a few weeks ago. A service tech told me the plan was by end of year, so could be early next year. They haven't bought the property next door but hopefully they can work that out because they could really use the extra parking.

This is great news! Outside of maybe going into Nantahala National Forest, I'd claim that NC has full coverage now (for most people)!

I went backpacking on the AT for a few days northwest of Boone and had to use a Destination Charger in Boone to get off the mountain. Ironically it was at Makoto's Japanese Steak House which is directly across the street from this Supercharger.

This is great news!!

This is great news! Outside of maybe going into Nantahala National Forest, I'd claim that NC has full coverage now (for most people)!

I went backpacking on the AT for a few days northwest of Boone and had to use a Destination Charger in Boone to get off the mountain. Ironically it was at Makoto's Japanese Steak House which is directly across the street from this Supercharger.

This is great news!!
Almost agreed. I am wishing for a SuC in Murphy, NC to fill that blank area of the map. It would ease the mind on an Asheville to Chattanooga mountain route AND perhaps enable Teslas to do the Tail of the Dragon. On the average, a curve every 187 feet!

1661472148069.png

Reactions: micantony
Almost agreed. I am wishing for a SuC in Murphy, NC to fill that blank area of the map. It would ease the mind on an Asheville to Chattanooga mountain route AND perhaps enable Teslas to do the Tail of the Dragon. On the average, a curve every 187 feet!

View attachment 845198

Tail of the Dragon is perfectly doable; no problem at all. Highly recommended, in fact! :)

IMG_2074.jpeg
IMG_2070.jpeg

I just drove down out of the mountains (back to Atlanta) this afternoon -- I took the Cherohala Skyway across this time instead of the Tail of the Dragon. And earlier in the trip I came across Route 348, west of Helen, which was just as twisty as the Tail although much shorter. Woohoo! Sooo much brake dust on my front wheels ...

Aaaanyway, I'm posting here to make sure you all are aware of multiple Chademo+CCS sites that are popping up in the WNC region this year. Waynesville went online a few months ago, Franklin a few weeks ago, Cherokee should be any day now (transformer is in and powered up), and Blairsville is coming "soon". Of course you'll need a Chademo or CCS adapter for all of these, and you don't get the slick just-plug-it-in experience that Tesla's vertical integrated sites give you, but OMG after a full decade it is great to finally get some DCFC up there. Full details on each are on Plugshare.

(and @mechrock I think you typo'd your home location in your profile here -- are you from Saluda?)

I just drove down out of the mountains (back to Atlanta) this afternoon -- I took the Cherohala Skyway across this time instead of the Tail of the Dragon. And earlier in the trip I came across Route 348, west of Helen, which was just as twisty as the Tail although much shorter. Woohoo! Sooo much brake dust on my front wheels ...

Aaaanyway, I'm posting here to make sure you all are aware of multiple Chademo+CCS sites that are popping up in the WNC region this year. Waynesville went online a few months ago, Franklin a few weeks ago, Cherokee should be any day now (transformer is in and powered up), and Blairsville is coming "soon". Of course you'll need a Chademo or CCS adapter for all of these, and you don't get the slick just-plug-it-in experience that Tesla's vertical integrated sites give you, but OMG after a full decade it is great to finally get some DCFC up there. Full details on each are on Plugshare.

(and @mechrock I think you typo'd your home location in your profile here -- are you from Saluda?)
Oops that is a typo, I do live in Saluda now, from Hendersonville.

CCS is a good last resort, but I hate how they choose locations. They put Franklin at town hall... who wants to park at town hall? You can walk a little to find food or coffee, so it's not the worst place to have to sit, but see this happen a lot. Also it's 150 kW and only two CCS stalls, two CHAdeMO.

We've told Tesla multiple times that Franklin/Murphy/Sylva need superchargers. Just hoping they can find a good spot.

CCS is a good last resort, but I hate how they choose locations. They put Franklin at town hall... who wants to park at town hall? You can walk a little to find food or coffee, so it's not the worst place to have to sit, but see this happen a lot. Also it's 150 kW and only two CCS stalls, two CHAdeMO.

We've told Tesla multiple times that Franklin/Murphy/Sylva need superchargers. Just hoping they can find a good spot.
Sylva is a good spot IMO as you basically have to go through Sylva to get anywhere else. Not sure of where exactly in Sylva though they would put one as there really aren't too many viable locations to choose from

Sylva is a good spot IMO as you basically have to go through Sylva to get anywhere else. Not sure of where exactly in Sylva though they would put one as there really aren't too many viable locations to choose from
For a decent Sylva SuC location, looks like the large parking lot at Innovation Station is surrounded by several good eats. Or if you want to learn something while you charge, you could walk the 1/2 mile to the Appalachian Women's Museum. After a few minutes, just tell them you need to return to your car.

Last edited:
Tesla is making good progress on the Boone Supercharger at the CVS pharmacy.

Attachments

• 9E55F466-516F-4473-A975-E021E118D509.jpeg
    9E55F466-516F-4473-A975-E021E118D509.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 727DFF08-137D-48F8-866B-048ACF1FD59F.jpeg
    727DFF08-137D-48F8-866B-048ACF1FD59F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 742E254C-C5F5-4F07-AA6D-49646D7E9ABD.jpeg
    742E254C-C5F5-4F07-AA6D-49646D7E9ABD.jpeg
    649.2 KB · Views: 83
  • CE6C022D-4ECE-485B-B793-C5D9ACB139D6.jpeg
    CE6C022D-4ECE-485B-B793-C5D9ACB139D6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • 2D68E0DD-FE5E-4610-83B3-2E4598EBE270.jpeg
    2D68E0DD-FE5E-4610-83B3-2E4598EBE270.jpeg
    966.5 KB · Views: 84
IMO, Sylva is too close to Asheville. We need something in the middle to accomodate Atlanta drivers heading into Western North Carolina also. Franklin or Murphy works better from this side.

IMO, Sylva is too close to Asheville. We need something in the middle to accomodate Atlanta drivers heading into Western North Carolina also. Franklin or Murphy works better from this side.
Sylva is only 20 miles further from Atlanta than Franklin, but depending on destination, either one would be more or less convenient for people. Sylva is closer to Cherokee, which is a popular stop, and more direct to anyone coming from east to Tail of the Dragon. Murphy would be better for people coming from Atlanta to Tail of the Dragon. Hopefully someday we just have all 3 available.