Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. I was just wondering whether you'd come across info that suggested there would be Superchargers in Harrisonburg and Blacksburg and, if so, what that info was--I thought maybe the Supercharger map had been updated, but it does not look like it.

Those would be great locations for covering I-81, but as of now it doesn't look like 81 is on the planned list even through 2015.

I wrote Tesla about this and received the following response:

Hello David:

Thank you for your note. I will be tackling I-81 later this year and welcome your input. If you have specific recommendations for future Supercharger locations, please submit them here.

Thanks again, and be well,​

If someone wants the specific individual from Tesla to follow up, please PM me.

Looks like a new supercharger is planned on the coming soon map for what looks to be Emporia, VA. I believe this is one that used to be on the 2014 map until they made the big change a few months ago, but now it appears to be back on the map and in the new coming soon. Looking on Google Maps, there doesn't seem to be much of anything in Emporia, but based on the dot on the map, I can't imagine it would be anywhere else. Anyone familiar with the area to hazard a guess where the SC might go?

That new dot actually looks more like South Hill VA on I-85, not Emporia on I-95. If you look closely, it doesn't quite line up between Glen Allen and Rocky Mount, it's offset a bit to the west.

South Hill will definitely help between Glen Allen and Burlington NC, especially for folks with 60 kWh batteries. The town itself is relatively built-up (I've gotten gas there in the past when going between DC and Charlotte) with at least a couple hotels and places to eat, but that stretch of I-85 is otherwise quite empty from Petersburg VA to Henderson NC.

That new dot actually looks more like South Hill VA on I-85, not Emporia on I-95. If you look closely, it doesn't quite line up between Glen Allen and Rocky Mount, it's offset a bit to the west.

South Hill will definitely help between Glen Allen and Burlington NC, especially for folks with 60 kWh batteries. The town itself is relatively built-up (I've gotten gas there in the past when going between DC and Charlotte) with at least a couple hotels and places to eat, but that stretch of I-85 is otherwise quite empty from Petersburg VA to Henderson NC.

Re. the underlined portion: Even for us with 85 kWh batteries! There're a lot of gentle up-and-down slopes between VA and Burlington, on 85, and it was cold yesterday. ;-) Even with a range charge, at some point after Glen Allen (maybe when I got onto I-85?), I set cruise control to a pretty low speed (60-63), despite a 70 speed limit much of the way, to ensure I arrived with a buffer that didn't stress me out (10-15?). If I hadn't, I wouldn't have made it, methinks; I don't normally drive under the speed limit; I'm pretty sure driving the speed limit would've used that buffer, and then some, since when I first set the cruise control to 62, my projected remaining miles matched the distance exactly, and that was with some below-70 driving in the past 30 miles.

I may be unusual. My range charge only seems to go to 238, but I haven't done a series of range charges to try to get the battery to balance, as I've read in a couple of threads. Once I do that, hopefully my top range will go up to 260-something and a 192-mile trip in cold weather won't be a big deal.

TL;DR: Another Supercharger on the way to Burlington sounds like a good idea to me. :-D

Re. the underlined portion: Even for us with 85 kWh batteries!
Fair point, kendallpb. I was planning an overnight trip from DC to Durham for last month, and even with my 85, I was frankly a little worried about making it back to Glen Allen, e.g. if I couldn't get sufficient charging at my destination. My last range charge was 259, I think, but it's ~330 miles round-trip from Glen Allen to Durham and back, and a detour to Burlington or Rocky Mount would've added an hour or more to an otherwise short trip. I ended up flying (for unrelated reasons), but seeing a supercharger dot in South Hill makes me feel a lot better about being able to make it to the Durham area in the future.

Ahh - you're right. That's even better! Will mean I can not worry about getting to Glen Allen from the Raleigh area.

I agree with DaveVa that the biggest hole in the exciting and planned Virginia SC are along I-81. It's a glaring omission when you consider that it also effects travel along I-77 and I-64 as well. I think they need SC at Wytheville and Staunton to make these routes passable. I have sent emails to [email protected] on the matter and suggest others do the same if you agree.

I'd vote for I-64 between Richmond and VA Beach. It's about 240 miles round trip from the Glen Allen charger, which is cutting it really close for 85's and not feasible for 60's. I'd say a Williamsburg location by the outlets would make a lot of sense...

I still stick with preferring it be near the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport. Specifically the Jefferson Commons Shopping Center, Patrick Henry Mall, Peninsula Town Center, etc.

1) It's 72 miles between the Glen Allen Supercharger and Patrick Henry Mall, which is about as close as Tesla should be deploying superchargers. It allows for a trip to Kitty Hawk, NC and back for a 85kWh which is about 110 miles away. 80 miles to Peninsula Town Center.

2) Heading eastbound it is before the split between the tunnel to the east the 664 to the south.

3) If you are heading north across the Chesapeake Bridge, you'd want this supercharger as close to that departure point as possible. Ocean City, MD is 152 miles from Peninsula Town Center.

4) It's 40-45 miles from Virginia Beach, so going to VA Beach and coming back, it should be a good location.

I think if we, as owners, can come to a consensus on where we want such a supercharger, we would have a better shot of convincing Tesla. I'm not a local to that area (just many trips to various places there) and I usually don't visit these places, so any local input as to which malls/shopping centers would be easiest to access even when traffic is nasty would be appreciated.

I still stick with preferring it be near the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport. Specifically the Jefferson Commons Shopping Center, Patrick Henry Mall, Peninsula Town Center, etc.

1) It's 72 miles between the Glen Allen Supercharger and Patrick Henry Mall, which is about as close as Tesla should be deploying superchargers. It allows for a trip to Kitty Hawk, NC and back for a 85kWh which is about 110 miles away. 80 miles to Peninsula Town Center.

2) Heading eastbound it is before the split between the tunnel to the east the 664 to the south.

3) If you are heading north across the Chesapeake Bridge, you'd want this supercharger as close to that departure point as possible. Ocean City, MD is 152 miles from Peninsula Town Center.

4) It's 40-45 miles from Virginia Beach, so going to VA Beach and coming back, it should be a good location.

I think if we, as owners, can come to a consensus on where we want such a supercharger, we would have a better shot of convincing Tesla. I'm not a local to that area (just many trips to various places there) and I usually don't visit these places, so any local input as to which malls/shopping centers would be easiest to access even when traffic is nasty would be appreciated.

Any of those spots sound great. The wife loves the Williamsburg outlets, so she can charge and charge at the same time! Techmaven, I'm going to PM you shortly...

Any intel on the potential South Hill location (permits, rumors etc)? I'm driving through the area this weekend so could scout a bit. I'm not familiar with the town but from the map it looks like there's a fair amount of commercial development right off 95.

**Meant 85 not 95

Last edited:
Any intel on the potential South Hill location (permits, rumors etc)? I'm driving through the area this weekend so could scout a bit. I'm not familiar with the town but from the map it looks like there's a fair amount of commercial development right off 95.

South Hill is really off I-85. They have a couple of exits where you can stop and hit some shopping centers and fast food. Everything is centered around a Walmart pretty much.

I may be wrong and South Hill may have direct access to I-95 as well. But that would make it a pretty broad geographic area...

South Hill is for the run on I-85 between Burlington, NC and Glen Allen, VA far easier for 85 kWH packs and possible for 60 kWH packs. Or Durham to Richmond or something like that.

So apparently Tesla was out there scouting in the past few days, but no actual site has been selected yet.

South Hill is a crummy little town of nothing. But its a good location to facilitate travel from Raleigh to Richmond. There are also a lot of rich retired folks and vacation homes on nearby Lake Gaston.

Just passed through there yesterday on my drive from CT to TN. Made the Glen Allen to Burlington run at 70mph by drafting off an obliging semi. I did it over Thanksgiving by pulling a full charge in Glen Allen and driving a few mph below the speed limit.

The 30 miles from Woodbridge to Frederick run on 95 took 3 hours late morning yesterday ... I need to lobby Tesla for I-81 superchargers.