Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers needed at the N.C. beaches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tbh, it probably should be code. Afaik, all houses with gas ovens still get a 14-50, just in case they swap to electric. If we can manage that, why not an outlet in the garage?

But I'm sure there'd be a lot of pushback.
IMO we are far, far from that being a reality. Once everyone or at least more than half of people drive an EV then we can talk about it. EV's are far from "standard" like a microwave or dishwasher or washer/dryer in a house.

There's also the fact that hard wired chargers are inherently safer and can provide more power. I don't want a 14-50 receptacle in my garage, especially if it isn't a Hubbell or Bryant brand. Would it be nice at a rental house or Airbnb? Absolutely.

IMO we are far, far from that being a reality. Once everyone or at least more than half of people drive an EV then we can talk about it. EV's are far from "standard" like a microwave or dishwasher or washer/dryer in a house.

There's also the fact that hard wired chargers are inherently safer and can provide more power. I don't want a 14-50 receptacle in my garage, especially if it isn't a Hubbell or Bryant brand. Would it be nice at a rental house or Airbnb? Absolutely.
I've seen low cost builders put in two laundry rooms complete with 14-30r just so the buyer would have options

Having an extra outlet is no big deal. The ones at that house are decent grade too. You don't need massive penetration for $100 of parts on a new home to be worthwhile.

As others pointed out, EVs aren't even the only valid use case.