Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharges charge a few >80%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am considering a purchase of my first Tesla. Speaking with the salesperson at Tesla they told me that Superchargers charge a $1.00 fee for every 1% when charging the vehicle from 80-100% in addition to the standard per kWh fee. Is this true? I can't find any information on this to actually confirm.

• Informative
Reactions: Soul Surfer
I don't believe that is true. I charged past 80% on a recent road trip and the cost was normal: flat per Kw.

BTW, it s actually rare to charge over 80% on a road trip. The navigation plans for charging just enough to get to the next destination. At the hundreds of charging stops I've made, I charged more than 80% only a few times.

FWIW, there are idle fees if you park at a busy charger too long after finishing charging.

This is the news/rumor that they are likely thinking about. Nothing like this has been implemented, so anything stated definitively regarding this policy is simply someone making a guess and stating it as a fact. Tesla employees know even less about the future plans for Tesla than the people here on the forum and the EV news sites that comb over every minutia in detail.

Currently, when going to high-traffic Supercharger sites (typically, only in the city centers and not along interstate highways between major population centers), the system will lower your target charge percentage to 80% if it's set over that. If desired, you can override that change after the charging session has started. I rarely encounter stations like this. They tend to only be in the city centers, and not on the open road between major population centers.

Reactions: edigest

This is the news/rumor that they are likely thinking about. Nothing like this has been implemented, so anything stated definitively regarding this policy is simply someone making a guess and stating it as a fact. Tesla employees know even less about the future plans for Tesla than the people here on the forum and the EV news sites that comb over every minutia in detail.

Currently, when going to high-traffic Supercharger sites (typically, only in the city centers and not along interstate highways between major population centers), the system will lower your target charge percentage to 80% if it's set over that. If desired, you can override that change after the charging session has started. I rarely encounter stations like this. They tend to only be in the city centers, and not on the open road between major population centers.
Thank you!