Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging feature when buying used Tesla from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am looking for a used Tesla and have been watching the typical Craigslist, Ebay, Auto Trader, etc. websites and have not found one that fits both my wife's and my desires so I started looking at Tesla's used car inventory. One thing I have noted is none of the ads on Tesla's website list the supercharger feature that I commonly see on other used cars advertised other places. Since there is a supercharger station quite close to our house that is a desirable feature we want. Does anybody know it Tesla will not be allowing that feature to continue if a car is bought thru them?

• Helpful
Reactions: bsbomber
The only used Teslas that don't come with Supercharging standard would be 40 kw and the old 60 kw versions.
Thanks, I know that the 40 & 60 KW Supercharging feature did not come with those cars. I just seem to think I read somewhere that the used Tesla's sold thru the company would not be able to transfer that feature on to second owners if the car sold thru Tesla direct. It is a common thing that a seller lists in their ads on Craigslist, eBay, etc and I don't see it listed on any of the cars on Tesla's website.

It seems like you're referring to the new supercharging rules effective 2017, which will limit free supercharging on new (and probably CPO) Tesla cars to 400kW per year.
All cars bought from Tesla will have supercharging enabled. If a 40 is traded into Tesla, they're going to unlock the 60 and enable supercharging before they sell it. It's worth more on the market after they enable those features, and cost them nothing but a few minutes of a tech's time.

If you buy private party, you'll inherit whatever supercharging was originally optioned. I don't think anybody knows for sure yet what happens when a private party requests to have a Tesla transferred to another account though.

I would suppose that it may not be listed in many ads since it has been standard on all cars for some time now, so seemingly as redundant as stating it has 4 wheels.

Reactions: ChrisJ
Multiple people here have reported that Tesla sales employees have told them that unlimited free supercharging will NOT be include with inventory or CPO vehicles starting Jan 1.
I love Tesla employees, but they often know basically what we know — the official announcement of things usually hits public channels hours before Tesla Store employees receive notice.

The orders for unlimited Supercharger access has been extended to Jan 15.

Update: Because of high demand and to give an opportunity to those customers who could not order over the holidays, we are extending it so customers can place an order for a Model S or X until January 15th, 2017 and take delivery by April 15, 2017 to receive free unlimited Supercharging.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-supercharging-program

Thanks al for the responses. Based upon them it still seems like there is uncertainty as to if the Supercharging feature will still be available. I guess we will all know in due time.
It will always be available, just cars ordered after 15 Jan 17 and delivered after 15 Apr 17 will pay a small surcharge after 400kw that are allowed per year on superchargers is used up.