Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharging issue model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just took my model 3 on my first trip. started from home with full charge. stopped after 100 miles and charged. it took about an hour to bring the charge up from 175 miles to 260 miles. 45 degree temperature. most stalls were in use
drove 100 miles climbing 7000 feet, temperature 15 degrees, and started charging at 125 miles. charge rate was 12kw. took an hour to reach 220 miles. most of stalls were in use.
next day at same charge location, after driving 75 miles, started charging at 100 miles, temperature 20 degrees, the charge rate was 22kw, with few stalls occupied. in an hour the charge mileage was 220 miles
drove 120 miles to a location where the temperature was 55 degrees and the charge rate was 100 kw.
the above statements of mileage are from my recollection and may not be totally accurate, but the charge rates are accurate.
how to account for the huge variation in charge rates? is it just temperature?

Fastest charging is only up to approx. 45% or about 140 miles, charge taper starts there and when you start at 175 miles you will not get anywhere near the 120 kw charge rate, others can talk about how the battery charges in the cold as I have no experience with this.

The sweet spot for Supercharging while traveling is arriving at 20% or less and charge to no more than 80% as the top 20% takes a long time to charge, unless of course you need more charge to reach the next spot.

Last edited:
Besides temperature, the state of charge (SoC) of the battery also greatly affects how fast you can Supercharge. It sounds like you are charging way too soon and should try to charge when the battery is closer to 10 to 15 percent remaining, if possible. Also, when you use paired Superchargers, you share the kW available for charging. Try to use a Supercharger where both A and B stalls are empty.

just took my model 3 on my first trip.
Welcome to the forum and to Tesla!
The charging rate is the highest up to about 45% charge level, after that it falls quickly. The last 10% take forever.
So when you travel, the best strategy is not to charge to 100%, but only to the level needed to take you to your next charging stop with some reserve. That will save you a lot of time.

Reactions: Exscite
just took my model 3 on my first trip. started from home with full charge. stopped after 100 miles and charged. it took about an hour to bring the charge up from 175 miles to 260 miles. 45 degree temperature. most stalls were in use
drove 100 miles climbing 7000 feet, temperature 15 degrees, and started charging at 125 miles. charge rate was 12kw. took an hour to reach 220 miles. most of stalls were in use.
next day at same charge location, after driving 75 miles, started charging at 100 miles, temperature 20 degrees, the charge rate was 22kw, with few stalls occupied. in an hour the charge mileage was 220 miles
drove 120 miles to a location where the temperature was 55 degrees and the charge rate was 100 kw.
the above statements of mileage are from my recollection and may not be totally accurate, but the charge rates are accurate.

Recommendations:
  • If you are going on a long trip, charging from 10% to 60% will be more than twice as fast as charging from 40% to 90%
  • If the battery is cold, charging will take longer
  • Always charge on a unused Supercharger pair. For example, if 1A, 1B, 2A, and 3B are in use, choose 4A or 4B. 2A and 3A may be at reduced charging levels.
  • If arriving at a cold location, it will be better to charge upon arrival when the battery is warm, than in the morning, after the battery has cooled.
  • In the cold, it can be very advantageous to let the car charge overnight.

most stalls were in use
most of stalls were in use.
few stalls occupied
Those aren't specific enough. The stalls are very specifically paired.
Always charge on a unused Supercharger pair. For example, if 1A, 1B, 2A, and 3B are in use, choose 4A or 4B. 2A and 3A may be at reduced charging levels.
This is important to pay attention to. Each number represents a stack of the charging hardware, and the A and B sides share that. If you're the secondary car, the primary car that was plugged in first may be pulling most of the power, and you will be getting a very reduced rate. At a very full site, though, you may not have much of a choice of an unpaired space available.

You never said what car you have. Is it a LR or a MR?