Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging max rate decreases on 75Kw packs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
On Bjorn Nyland's YouTube channel he posted a video showing a letter from Tesla that said after a certain amount of Supercharging on a 75 KW pack the max charge rate is permanently decreased. Has anyone experienced this phenomena?

As the owner of a X 75D this may cause me to charge more at home vs. the SuperCharger 3 miles away, even with free Supercharing for life.

It's been around for some time key here is to only supercharge when on long trips. People use my local supercharger as their home base for which it was not intended.

Not sure about the not intended for locals. Most of the new Superchargers by me (there are 5-6 in a 15 mile radius) are Urban chargers (72KW max). Specifically designed to support urban/suburban drivers. Given that homes in the area are in the $1-5M many Model 3, S, and X owners live in rental housing and do not have at home charging options.

I think Björn is wrong. This probably applies to packs done at the same time with the 90 packs. If this applies to new 75s, it should apply to new 100s too - packs are the same, just different cell config.

In other words, at one point in time they used a cell that needed this. Then the issue was fixed or improved such that we haven’t seen it yet in any new packs regardless of the size of the pack. Or does someone actually have a late 2016+ pack that does this?

Last edited: