Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just after some advice before i need to use supercharger for the first time in a couple of days...

Only had M3 for about a month now, never needed to supercharge, i haven't got a card logged to my tesla account as not paid anything direct to Tesla, as i'm leasing., i have the app and tesla account login in my name.

So i have 1,000 free supercharging miles, do i need to register a card before i can use a supercharger, or can i just use without card registered.

I doubt i will supercharge much, probably only just use my 1000 miles in my 3 year lease, as i always charge at home. so didn't want to register my card if i don't need to, but also want to make sure that i can use the supercharge when i need it.

On collection the guy said even without a card registered it would just get invoiced to me, but wanted to check.

Also i'm looking at stopping at the Northampton Supercharger, but on ZAPMAP it shows this as restricted, anyone know this location, does it just show as restricted as it is TESLA only? (although others on Zapmap don't)

i have had a quick search on hear but cant find specific info, so any help will be appreciated, - Thanks

Free supercharger miles only last 6 months

Thanks Didn't realise that.

Here's some info that might help

Thanks for the link, so it should work without adding credit card.

Would be good if someone on here could confirm they have charged without having a card registered on their Tesla Account?

Edit:
Not sure how i managed to write my responses in the Grey box above???:confused:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, so it should work without adding credit card.

Would be good if someone on here could confirm they have charged without having a card registered on their Tesla Account?

Edit:
Not sure how i managed to write my responses in the Grey box above???:confused:
[/QUOTE]

I added my card after 3 SuC sessions. It wasn’t until I logged onto my account through the web and seen I wasn’t being charged.

Also i'm looking at stopping at the Northampton Supercharger, but on ZAPMAP it shows this as restricted, anyone know this location, does it just show as restricted as it is TESLA only? (although others on Zapmap don't)

i have had a quick search on hear but cant find specific info, so any help will be appreciated, - Thanks

Northampton is unrestricted, BUT does have ANPR. Ensure you enter your reg at reception within 10 mins to prevent a ticket. Parking is gns also say 30 min limit (Hotels ANPR) but not sure if this is enforced if you enter reg. I’ve stayed for about 33mins before (bad driver blocked me exiting) and never got a ticket, when I thought I would.

A load of the hotel’s TripAdvisor reviews, from Tesla owners, slate the ANPR system, but hotel management always say they’d get the ticket cancelled if they contact them.

A few tips, if you wish...

Use the SuC lead’s button to pop the charge port open. And hold down after to stop the charge, unlock and disconnect. There is no need to open phone, unlock car, or press buttons on dash. (Common sight watching people fumbling, especially in the rain). The flap will also auto close a few seconds after disconnecting. No need to whack it close.

Remember to use the cars Navigation to route to the SuC to get optimal charge rate, try and keep a space between paired stalls and enjoy!

Last edited:

I added my card after 3 SuC sessions. It wasn’t until I logged onto my account through the web and seen I wasn’t being charged.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, so looks like ill be ok without registering card, just using my free Miles:)

Northampton is unrestricted, BUT does have ANPR. Ensure you enter your reg at reception within 10 mins to prevent a ticket. Parking is gns also say 30 min limit (Hotels ANPR) but not sure if this is enforced if you enter reg. I’ve stayed for about 33mins before (bad driver blocked me exiting) and never got a ticket, when I thought I would.

A load of the hotel’s TripAdvisor reviews, from Tesla owners, slate the ANPR system, but hotel management always say they’d get the ticket cancelled if they contact them.

A few tips, if you wish...

Use the SuC lead’s button to pop the charge port open. And hold down after to stop the charge, unlock and disconnect. There is no need to open phone, unlock car, or press buttons on dash. (Common sight watching people fumbling, especially in the rain). The flap will also auto close a few seconds after disconnecting. No need to whack it close.

Remember to use the cars Navigation to route to the SuC to get optimal charge rate, try and keep a space between paired stalls and enjoy!

Thanks for the tips re Northampton SuC, yes will route sat nav to it, i read that on hear on another thread

Cheers. Look forward to my First SuC :D

So just returned from my 280+ mile trip. Stopped and used SuC for the first time which I was really impressed with how easy it was. Just plugged in and it started charging, obviously it just recognised my car/tesla account.

I thought was quick charge I plugged in at about 35% and in about 25 mins on 85%.

I noted it ( when on 44%) about 28 miles per hr/ 63Kw not sure WHY NOT ANY FASTER but seemed ok to me (and did put the SuC location in sat nav)

For anyone intrested I didn't register any payment details on my account but did have 1000 free miles.

Great, glad it worked out for you - easy isn't it :)

re the slow-is charge rate, most likely either:-

1. you were paired with another car who got there before you, who was taking the lion's share of the 150kW available to each numbered-pair of supercharger stalls
2. Your battery was still cold - it needs a good 30 minutes or so (less after a long drive, but even then ~10-15 mins) of preconditioning to have the necessary effect/warming and give you a max rate from the start. As you charge it will increase (but it will also decrease as you get past ~50% )

Last edited:
Yes couldn't believe how easy it was. Plug it in and that's it

No, I was the only one on my 'pair' I was on the road for about 1&1/2 hrs before charging and noted about 15 miles before reaching g a message came on the scree saying preconditionING battery ready for charge.

I wasn't watching the speed all the time, so may have reached slightly faster? Yes noted it slowed to 120 ish mph once on 80%.

@Radders Great to see your first charge went OK, I'm picking my M3P up on Saturday and i'll be in the same boat as you were, with 1000 free miles and questions! Thanks for the heads up, can you now see the lower balance on your free miles remaining either in the car or online?

Yes couldn't believe how easy it was. Plug it in and that's it

No, I was the only one on my 'pair' I was on the road for about 1&1/2 hrs before charging and noted about 15 miles before reaching g a message came on the scree saying preconditionING battery ready for charge.

I wasn't watching the speed all the time, so may have reached slightly faster? Yes noted it slowed to 120 ish mph once on 80%.
63kw is slow but it happens every now and then. Sometimes if it's slow I switch to a different stall to get a better charging rate.

For the record, it will show a charge (monetary) accumulating on the car charge screen even when you have free supercharger miles available. However, you won't actually get charged (monetary); it's just informational until the free charging runs out.

@Radders Great to see your first charge went OK, I'm picking my M3P up on Saturday and i'll be in the same boat as you were, with 1000 free miles and questions! Thanks for the heads up, can you now see the lower balance on your free miles remaining either in the car or online?

As Scott said it shows in the car as a charge, but then it just reduces the miles from the loot box.