Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Supercharging option not enabled" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what is causing these messages at the local Super Chargers?
Unable to charge - unplug and try again, followed by Unable to charge - Supercharging option not enabled message
HPWC works fine at home. But I want to drive from Dallas to Houston next week and don't dare get on the highway not knowing if I can charge up.
First time, I thought it was because I had an almost-full battery - just was going to top it up. Tonight I went to a different Supercharger, with only 29% battery, and got the same message.
Thanks for help!

Anyone know what is causing these messages at the local Super Chargers?
Unable to charge - unplug and try again, followed by Unable to charge - Supercharging option not enabled message
HPWC works fine at home. But I want to drive from Dallas to Houston next week and don't dare get on the highway not knowing if I can charge up.
First time, I thought it was because I had an almost-full battery - just was going to top it up. Tonight I went to a different Supercharger, with only 29% battery, and got the same message.
Thanks for help!

What do you see if you login to your Tesla account? When you press the button to manage your vehicle, you should see a message about supercharging e.g.:

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle....

First, HPWC is AC charging and uses the charger on your car. Supercharging is DC and goes directly to the pack so it makes sense one would work and the other not if Supercharging wasn’t enabled. If you’ve never used it before, as was said, it probably isn’t enabled and a question for Tesla support as to whether it’s possible and how much.

If it used to work and now doesn’t, definitely call them. Could be a hardware issue.

Yes, I see that message that I have free unlimited supercharging. I sent a message last night via the web site before checking the forum. Next step will be to go by the local service center. Thanks for replys!

Since supercharger bypasses your onboard charger as other poster noted and u can charge on HPWC doesn’t sound like hardware ..maybe faster call in and sounds like software thing they can do over phone

Reactions: boaterva
Yes, I see that message that I have free unlimited supercharging. I sent a message last night via the web site before checking the forum. Next step will be to go by the local service center. Thanks for replys!

You could also phone the Tesla customer care number. If the car is being refused but your account says it is entitled to free supercharging, they should be able to fix that remotely - or at least, diagnose the problem.

Reactions: FarmerDave
You could also phone the Tesla customer care number. If the car is being refused but your account says it is entitled to free supercharging, they should be able to fix that remotely - or at least, diagnose the problem.
Took the car to the local Service Center and was told that as the car has a Salvage Title, Supercharging has been disabled. And, I will also no longer receive any over the air updates and I cannot bring the car to them for service! I bought the car from my brother 5 months ago with the understanding that the previous owner claimed that repairs had been made by a Tesla approved body shop and that Tesla had checked the car out and approved all repairs. He had bought the car June of 2017 and all of the time in his and my ownership, there has been no problem with supercharging or service - in Seattle and Dallas - and no mention of this salvage title situation. I am hoping there is some way to resolve this! I am glad this change did not happen on a trip!

Took the car to the local Service Center and was told that as the car has a Salvage Title, Supercharging has been disabled. And, I will also no longer receive any over the air updates and I cannot bring the car to them for service! I bought the car from my brother 5 months ago with the understanding that the previous owner claimed that repairs had been made by a Tesla approved body shop and that Tesla had checked the car out and approved all repairs. He had bought the car June of 2017 and all of the time in his and my ownership, there has been no problem with supercharging or service - in Seattle and Dallas - and no mention of this salvage title situation. I am hoping there is some way to resolve this! I am glad this change did not happen on a trip!

So u didn’t know u had salvage title ??:eek::eek:....u may want to invest in chademo adaptor next best thing :(

So it took Tesla just over a year to find out it was a salvage vehicle and update their systems... I seem to recall that someone else recently had a similar thing happen. Maybe Tesla has setup an interface from Carfax or something to get branded title information.

The way I read it they knew it had a salvage title but thought it had been recertified by Tesla. (With that backed up by getting OTA updates and Supercharging for the last year.)

I could see that i suppose. This is why i hate buying used cars, i can never trust people haha. I remember my very first car i bought when i was 16, turns out the guy didn't change the oil for 15,000 miles. good times... :|

@Jazbo was the car ever re-certified by Tesla ?? U can pay them some $$$$ do recertify I believe ...to get supercharging back ...good luck though this sucks

There is mixed success with this i've seen. I've seen some horror threads here where people said they did that and Tesla still refused to give them supercharging :(

Reactions: P85_DA

Try contacting [email protected] as well and explain the situation. If Tesla can do a full inspection, including testing as well as an analysis of the repair work that was completed, and all of their tests pass, I would think it could be recertified and the title updated to a valid status (you might have to work with your DMV for that part). Be sure to request that Supercharging be reactivated along with the ability to go to Tesla when your car needs maintenance.

I hope things work out well for you!

Try contacting [email protected] as well and explain the situation. If Tesla can do a full inspection, including testing as well as an analysis of the repair work that was completed, and all of their tests pass, I would think it could be recertified and the title updated to a valid status (you might have to work with your DMV for that part). Be sure to request that Supercharging be reactivated along with the ability to go to Tesla when your car needs maintenance.

I hope things work out well for you!

There is a recertification process, I think it costs ~$3,500, plus the cost of any additional repairs/changes that they find need to be made. I seem to recall that the first step is to have a Tesla authorized body shop tear the car apart to inspect and take pictures.

One exception to what they will do is safety related recalls. For example if your car needs the air bag recall Tesla will do it even if it has a salvage title and hasn't been recertified. (One customer fought them over this.) Of course, probably not all service centers know about that policy.