Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. IMO Tesla is treading on thin ice here.
It is also a bit of a rude awakening to the fact that Tesla's proprietary charging system has created a captive market ...

It will be quite amusing to hear the reaction of some of their most fervent supporters, SF apartment dwellers and others like them who must rely on local supercharging.

Thin ICE indeed, hehe!

• Funny
Reactions: gilscales
That is where you are off

For long distance travel, an efficient ICE is now cheaper to drive in my area. Home charging doesn’t play into long distance travel other than the first leg.

One of the questions I get frequently is how much it costs to charge on trips, and my answer is now going to be “the same or a little more than gas”. Not exactly a sales pitch for EVs being a full replacement for an ICE. Especially with the time sacrifice charging adds.

Where is my math incorrect?
Let's say my nearest SC (NY State) charges $0.24/kWh.
My S75D would take an empty-to-full charge of 75 X .24 (assuming that my charge took an hour at a rate of 75kWh. Which it does when waiting for every last watt before charging stops on its own)
That's $18 and my MS is now good for ~250 miles. (More in the summer, less in the winter. My spreadsheet actually shows an annual average of 242, but lets keep the math easy)
Or, put differently, it's costing me $0.072 per mile. (18/250)
Compared to an ICE car that gets....say, 30MPG and my local gas station charging $2.09/Gallon (for 89 Octane)
That ICE car is paying $2.09 for 30 miles of travel
My MS is paying $2.16 for 30 miles of travel.

Um... ICE is now cheaper?!?
Of course I am not taking home charging or other charging infrastructure into account - simply Tesla's SC network exclusively. It would be even worse if I were trying to charge at a SC with the car cold-soaked. But I can never remember a time when this was the case. The battery is always warm (regardless of outside temp) when I approach a SC.

Combine that data with the fact that gasing up an ICE takes 5 minutes and I'm off... Tesla will take an hour and I also risk ridiculous idle fee penalties.

Where am I off here? It 'feels' like I should be...?
I'm thinking my next license plate might say GAS WINS

You are exactly right. I purchased it because I do a lot of travel on the interstate, and now it cost more to drive than my car did. Very disappointed. I get terrible interstate range so my effective full range is only 70% in the winter. SMH. This is SO BAD all around. Bad bad bad.

For long distance travel, an efficient ICE is now cheaper to drive in my area. Home charging doesn’t play into long distance travel other than the first leg.

One of the questions I get frequently is how much it costs to charge on trips, and my answer is now going to be “the same or a little more than gas”. Not exactly a sales pitch for EVs being a full replacement for an ICE. Especially with the time sacrifice charging adds.
Exactly. This is so damn sad.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Price per minute? What in the world?

Interesting sentence still on this Tesla page. I don't think the pricing is correct. lol

Supercharging

"Tesla is committed to ensuring that Supercharger will never be a profit center."

Yep, what a lie that was. You can't justify increasing the price to expand the SC network... It doesn't work that way. Expanding the SC network is part of selling EV's. If Tesla wants to sale more cars, they have to expand the network. Charging more $ to charge is going to drive away potential customers and people in certain markets that would use the car to travel on a regular basis.

I like talking to people at SC's.

I guess the conversations are going to start to dwindle now. lol

Anyway....

Its interesting that Tesla didn't build these new SC costs into their cars - like they initially did. ( probably because they didn't have a viable SC network to charge people with ). lol

Recalculate.

Of the miles traveled in a day the first 300 miles or so are not from a Supercharger station

I do not get a full 300 miles before my first stop because of how the supercharger network works. On my last trip to Phoenix, the first stop was Indio, a mere 152 miles in. That was because the jump all the way to Quartzite was on the hairy edge at 270 miles with a steep climb in between. And coming home, I do not often get a home charger advantage as it is difficult to plan around destination charging in many locations. So on that same trip, my first stop on the way home after leaving the hotel was the supercharger, so the home mileage was all SC miles.

So I stand by my assessment of the costs. It’s even worse when you get into the Midwest with cheaper gas.

If I knew nothing about the history of supercharging and pricing, and someone asked me what SHOULD Tesla charge for supercharging, I would say:

More than the local electric rate, because:

1) the convenience of being able to charge on the road
2) the speed at which the electricity can be delivered to the car

Both of these things feel like they command a premium over the local electric rate.

Since most Model 3s don't have free supercharging I'm posting it here. Local rate in Vancouver WA started at $0.11/kwh, early in 2018 then went to $0.24 and today, a year later, went to $0.31!! My home power is $0.0816. Even with demand charges, power factor charges etc I am sure their industrial rate is less than I am paying.here. Are we getting close to $3 gasoline equivalent? I have solar panels and charge at home like most, but road trip cost has gone up significantly. And renters and condo owners costs have gone way up too.

Doesn't look like local power rates affect the price, making a LOT more profit in the Northwest than in high power cost areas like California. Shouldn't it be a % markup based on local power rates, not a near flat fee? And when is the next 30+% rate hike?

Tesla drastically increases Supercharger prices around the world

This is just economics. Increasing the prices will reduce the demand. The supercharger network is being stretched by all the new Model 3 owners on the road. Tesla needs to incentive people to charge at home if at all possible. I think too many people are relying on local supercharging which is a big contributor to the problem of congested superchargers.

If Tesla only raised rates on people doing local supercharging there would be an even bigger uproar. However that's probably what should happen. People who live in Condos or Apartments need to be incentivized to fight for charging options where they live. Having everyone who lives in apartments or condos use superchargers is not only unsustainable, but results in a poor ownership experience as well.

So I stand by my assessment of the costs. It’s even worse when you get into the Midwest with cheaper gas.

Wait....I thought SC costs depended on the location of the SC. In other words. California and Hawaii costs are the highest because the cost of living is the highest in those areas.
OR
I thought that SC costs were a variant of local electricity prices.

Reactions: APotatoGod
If I knew nothing about the history of supercharging and pricing, and someone asked me what SHOULD Tesla charge for supercharging, I would say:

Both of these things feel like they command a premium over the local electric rate.

They’re competing with the gas pump, not with the home outlet.

Yes, obviously, but Tesla is charging .31c per kw where they can according to their website. That would indicate a:

• 300% markup over some states rates (.08c - .12c per kw)

• Clear negligence to current efficiency with ICE vehicles (my ice vehicle is now cheaper and much more convenient to operate on interstate travel)

• Lack of reasoning behind the driving force of purchasing TESLA. I purchased because not only can I charge at home, but I can travel at a reduced cost than my ICE. A big deciding factor was I could go where I want, when I wanted, at a very reasonable cost (at the time 80% would cost $5.) I would not have purchased this vehicle knowing that It would cost me more AND be more inconvenient to travel. I was willing to live with the wait inconvenience, but now to be charged a premium to get KWs? What the hell.