Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't have bought Model 3 if everything is about cost. It's about making a statement and believe in the idea that we need to move away from fossil fuel to a sustainable energy society to avoid climate change disaster

You're one of the thousands..... The cost of supercharging totally played into my purchase decision. The availability of SC also did. If it cost me double to SC my car, I would have kicked it to the curb.

They are trying to sale a mass market model 3 for 35,000. At that price, people care about the cost of EVERYTHING. Service, support, charging cost, infrastructure, etc.

The website now says $.31/kWh everywhere in places where they can charge that way. If, say, Texas is one of those places (as I can’t see costs in my car), that is way more expensive than the cost of gas, which was at $2 when I was there over Christmas.
Not true. I spent time in my car looking at various chargers in the region near me in AZ. The rates are all over the place and seem to be higher in urban areas and probably related to electricity costs. However, the basis for the differences is not explained.

As the Tesla website notes in the bullet points, $.31 is an average where per kWh is the basis.. It does appear that rates near me all went up, but differ substantially by individual location. SoCal sites seem to range from about $.30 to $.36, highest in heaviest populated areas.

Last edited:
You're one of the thousands..... The cost of supercharging totally played into my purchase decision. The availability of SC also did. If it cost me double to SC my car, I would have kicked it to the curb.

They are trying to sale a mass market model 3 for 35,000. At that price, people care about the cost of EVERYTHING. Service, support, charging cost, infrastructure, etc.

This is it.
These people are not trying to "make a statement". And they will care about costs.
Even at 35K these are not cheap cars.

Reactions: APotatoGod

70.8% of us so more like 708 of thousands. EV is still not at a point where it's for everyone

2. Superchargers aren’t meant to be a primary fuel source, just a travel convenience/enabler. If this price increase further discourages supercharger misuse, it’s a win for everyone who intends to use them as designed.

I voted 'yes', also for the reason that higher prices will reduce Supercharger usage, in turn reducing the risk that I will have to queue at one.

I wouldn't have bought Model 3 if everything is about cost. It's about making a statement and believe in the idea that we need to move away from fossil fuel to a sustainable energy society to avoid climate change disaster

That's cool but.

Many people haven't purchased a Model 3 because of Cost.

Its not that they don't what to make a statement and elieve in the idea that we need to move away from fossil fuel to a sustainable energy society to avoid climate change disaster

Not only the price of the car but the "cost" of fueling it.

This is the end of Tesla. The supercharging network was their only advantage over other competition coming up such as Audi, Vw, BMW, or even GM. Now that it costs the same to drive your Tesla as a 30mpg car, people will no longer buy a Tesla.

I had confidence that Tesla could pull this off and believe they are year's ahead of the competition. But people buy what is more practical in terms of price. That is why Japanese cars took over in the gas crisis of the 70s...they were better made, cheaper, and more cost effective than what American companies we're making. Same will happen here... Tesla will become the new Detroit. Their reliability is lower than others, quality is lower (panel gaps, etc) and I know if this isn't reversed, we will be going to a different company for our next EV in 2020. Tesla needs to wake up!

Oh and everyone keeps stating they bought a Tesla not because of cost but because to make a statement. You realize that buying a Chevy bolt or Audi etron is still making that same statement? When VW comes out with thier $25000 EV, it will easily outsell Tesla and make a statement...

Depends on the charging speed. Electrify America charges $0.30 per minute. At 60kW the cost is comparable, but if you charge at, say, 100kW the Tesla charger is now more than 1.5 times as expensive in states where they charge per kWh
For a typical 30 min. charge I add approx. 40 kWh and the average charge rate is approx. 80 kw, $0.35 per mi. plus $1.00 connection is $11.50 and at Tesla's stated $0.31 per kw thats $12.40 so pretty close and the advantage goes away if you need to top off more to get more range, also Electrify America states clearly this is their "Introductory rate"

Electrify America DC fast charging stations display clear, up-front pricing. Electrify America charging will include the following elements: $1.00 session fee + per minute charging cost + idle fee of $0.40/minute (if applicable). Our introductory charging cost pricing is $0.30 to $0.35 per minute of charging.

This is the end of Tesla. The supercharging network was their only advantage over other competition coming up such as Audi, Vw, BMW, or even GM. Now that it costs the same to drive your Tesla as a 30mpg car, people will no longer buy a Tesla.

I had confidence that Tesla could pull this off and believe they are year's ahead of the competition. But people buy what is more practical in terms of price. That is why Japanese cars took over in the gas crisis of the 70s...they were better made, cheaper, and more cost effective than what American companies we're making. Same will happen here... Tesla will become the new Detroit. Their reliability is lower than others, quality is lower (panel gaps, etc) and I know if this isn't reversed, we will be going to a different company for our next EV in 2020. Tesla needs to wake up!

Noo...no..no

Its not the cost of SC'ing that gives Tesla an advantage over the competition. Its the presence of SC'ing that gives Tesla the advantage.

Range anxiety is the problem with other EV's.

There is no range anxiety with Tesla's.

Cost is a different discussion and its going on right now in this thread.

Nah... It's the Koreans with their EVs, PHEVs, and full fed tax credits.

Oh and everyone keeps stating they bought a Tesla not because of cost but because to make a statement. You realize that buying a Chevy bolt or Audi etron is still making that same statement? When VW comes out with thier $25000 EV, it will easily outsell Tesla and make a statement...
Nonsense. Most owners will continue to meet most of their charging needs at home. For me that makes my per mile about half of what it was in my gas sipping hybrid.

Higher Supercharger rates will certainly make a difference to apartment dwellers who have no home charging option, but an offset will be better access as the cheapskates increasingly charge at home.

Not sure why everyone is just focusing on one aspect of owning a Tesla, to say that the only reason you purchased a Tesla was for the supercharging is short sited. I will not go into the long list of reasons why I wanted a Tesla but there are many.
I have to admit that my main reason for buying the model 3 was not to save the planet, sorry, I bought it because of the cool tech, great handling and justified some of it's shortcomings (track record for service problems, build quality compared to Euro, Luxury interior compared to Euro) by saying,"hey I get over 100 mpg!" which I still do at home, This is by far my favorite car that I have ever owned even over my previous favorite BMW's and i'm cool with paying whatever for the convenience of Supercharging when road tripping, and even though I did not buy the car to BE green it still does feel better to know that it is helping in some small way as I do like clean air and water!