Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging slowdown killing me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol..i sit at costco gas and fill our 2006 mdx..like 40 to $50 and only 115 minutes wait and fill...even if 320 min no biggie compared to slowwww supercharging on a trip!
The difference is Supercharging every 60-90 minutes instead of filling up once before a big trip. It wasn’t so bad when I could drive 2.5 hours between supercharges.

The reduction in charge speed is not degradation. The battery's ability to hold energy is reduced over time, that's degradation.

My charge times are now aprox 40-60% longer

This is exactly what I am seeing. It is like someone put the brakes on supercharging my car. It starts out high and starts tapering immediately, truly within 1-2 minutes. It's like it ramps up and then coasts down from there. At least 50-100% longer to supercharge. Never could take the time to get it to even 80% SOC, it was over an hour to get from 15%-75%.

This isn't right. An as I quoted above, its not "degradation". My battery holds a charge and does well charging at home. Its all about an algorithm over which we have ZERO control and ZERO information. Its a black hole and a crap shoot everytime I take road trip as to how much longer than the last time will it take to get the same charge.

Reactions: Gwgan
Okay so before I say what I'm going to say, be prepared to be offended...

I find it hard to understand why anyone here is surprised or outraged or anything...??? From what I can tell him this thread, these are all older cars and we all know batteries degrade over time. Thus, how aggressively they can be charged also has to change over time with that. You knew that when you purchased the car, but only now are you concerned about it? Buy a new Tesla and your problems will be solved, it's no different than any other car ever made, they degrade over time. One poster even talked about how her ICE fuel economy went down over time, same thing. Those of you with newer Teslas need not worry, at least for now.

This is why I lease, every 3 years I get a new Tesla so I never have to worry about any of this...

Jeff

Man, this is courageous of you.

I'll sit next to you and hope I don't offend fellow owners either.

Back in 2015, when I was (*) so enthusiast about Tesla, their mission and how they were about to lose their fight (bankrupt ?) and all hope for humanity was lost, I was convinced I needed to help.
Only thing I was sure would actually help was buy one and drive it as our family car, as if it was any other car.
The more EV on the road, traveling long distance, is a very good proof of concept.

Once the financial was settled, one particular thing worried me indeed. What about that battery?
The 8 years unlimited miles along with its capacity of replacement (remember the demo of battery swap) sold me.
I did get that the coverage did not include any warranty as to the battery performance in terms of capacity. Granted, I did not think about Supercharging speed being reduce.
I saw some Excel file that the real early adopters had built to track degradation. This built confidence and I made the jump. (**)

As an electrical engineer, what I understood is that this large battery in a car was uncharted territory and there was indeed quite a gamble.

Other impacted owners have argued (and at length in that other thread) that it is not about degradation, but wilful act from Tesla. Tesla vaguely argues it's to extend the battery's life. Other owners say it is to lower Tesla's risk of many failed batteries within the 8 years. I don't deny that Tesla did cap batteries and charge speed. But the intent's truth is probably in between.

I'm the positive, naive fellow who sees no harm until proven wrong.

So the way I manage this is recon it is a gamble, a risk I took, and I'm not happy that it looks like I'm losing my bet...but I keep faith that Tesla is trying to make it right.
A semi-early adopter (begin 2015) like me had and still has plenty of perks and fun: Yes, I'm still smiling stupidly when I'm driving and thinking "man, this car is amazing".:D

I'll be indeed watching how this evolves and if it won't get fixed or improved, then it'll mean I lost my bet. But hopefully the newer generation are better.

(*) Still highly enthusiast.:)
(**) This is the short version. The long one contains quite a chapter on convincing my wife :eek:, who eventually allowed me to make the jump ;)

I may be naive but I don't believe it's about the bottom line. I think that, being such a new technology, they're just discovering issues they want to avoid. Like fire. If this is the case, those that are affected are due a safe replacement battery. Hopefully Tesla is working on a recall right now.

As I type, my car is charging off the nema 14-50 at 10 kilowatts. The normal is 30 kilowatts. This is delaying my trip by an hour and a half.

There is a class action suit in the works but it is for 85s and below. Mine is a 90. Is anyone else here a 90? Or above?

No Tesla ever charged more than 10kw on a 14-50. 240*40=9.6kw.