Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging temperature sensor bug/fault?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night I stopped at a supercharger for 20 mins, it was pissing rain and around 12oC outside.
After setting off I noticed the external temperature reading start to rise, and continue to rise till 25oC, stayed there for about 15 mins and then gradually fell back down to the correct reading.
Is this excess heat from the battery getting to the sensor or perhaps a bug? I’ve never noticed this happen before, but then I use the superchargers pretty infrequently.
Anyone else had this?
Cheers!

Just had a look at Teslamate for the last Supercharging session. I don't see the Temp rising while charging - in fact it stays a steady 2C. But about 10 minutes after the charging I can see it climb to 15C. Given this is in the NE of Scotland, then I doubt the local temperature rose that quickly.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 15.35.46.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 15.35.46.png
    377 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 15.38.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 15.38.42.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 29
Just had a look at Teslamate for the last Supercharging session. I don't see the Temp rising while charging - in fact it stays a steady 2C. But about 10 minutes after the charging I can see it climb to 15C. Given this is in the NE of Scotland, then I doubt the local temperature rose that quickly.

Good thought about checking logs.

I just checked the same from a ~25 minute Supercharge last Thursday. Our outside temperature fluctuated by no more than 1C (6-7C) which is entirely consistent with the 35min drive there (pre conditioning) and onward 15 min journey.

Still on 2021.44.6 and 2019 LR with no heat pump if that makes a difference.

Reactions: init6
Glad it’s not just me then!
Thanks for looking into your logs! :)
Do you think this is a sensor placement issue? I felt like as the outside temp was reading falsely high (25 at the time), it was pumping air from outside into the cabin to try and warm it up, which was actually cold. Could of been my imagination tho lol.
I did start to worry when that it wouldn’t stop rising and there might be a fault with the battery causing it to overheat.
Worth reporting for a service visit? I might not bother as expecting to trade in for a Y in a few weeks.