Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging unavailable Add Payment method

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im having this issue. I just bought a used tesla. This is a shameful issue that should never happen. I should not need to ask permission or otherwise be blocked from charging my car. Freaking walled garden. Trying to control everything. Back off you capitalists.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Im having this issue. I just bought a used tesla. This is a shameful issue that should never happen. I should not need to ask permission or otherwise be blocked from charging my car. Freaking walled garden. Trying to control everything. Back off you capitalists.
I'm sure Cuba will allow you to charge for free. Or North Korea. It sounds like you have not purchased the right car for you.

You can't charge at Superchargers currently. If it came with a CHAdeMO adapter you can charge at CHAdeMO chargers as well as J1772.. You can charge at J1772s.

So the vehicle has been transferred to your Tesla Account and you have a payment method set up, but it is refusing the charge?

You can't charge at Superchargers currently. If it came with a CHAdeMO adapter you can charge at CHAdeMO chargers as well as J1772.. You can charge at J1772s.

So the vehicle has been transferred to your Tesla Account and you have a payment method set up, but it is refusing the charge?
I bought it Friday, it has not been transferred to my tesla account, which is the problem apparently. I called support and they said 3-5 days for the transfer to take place, they have 400-500 requests in queue. Apparently this happens all the time. Used car dealerships are just not communicating to expect to be cut off from supercharging for the first 3-5 days. I was just frustrated and surprised they would block me from charging this car I bought. I'm calm now. Lol I had some anxiety about this because I have to drive the car from CA to TX to get it registered. I think everything is fine. I just have to use 1772 if it's not approved by Friday when I leave for TX.

Used car dealerships are just not communicating to expect to be cut off from supercharging for the first 3-5 days.
If used car dealerships would handle things correctly it wouldn't be an issue. When they purchase a Tesla they should have the owner transfer it to an account the dealership owns. Then when someone buys it from them they would transfer it to the new owners account. (The transfer process is automated and takes about 15 minutes from what I have heard.)

If they don't do that then you normally have to submit registration paperwork to Tesla, and that takes 2-3 days after you have registered the vehicle and get your registration paperwork back from the state to submit to Tesla.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If used car dealerships would handle things correctly it wouldn't be an issue. When they purchase a Tesla they should have the owner transfer it to an account the dealership owns. Then when someone buys it from them they would transfer it to the new owners account. (The transfer process is automated and takes about 15 minutes from what I have heard.)

If they don't do that then you normally have to submit registration paperwork to Tesla, and that takes 2-3 days after you have registered the vehicle and get your registration paperwork back from the state to submit to Tesla.
We did this recently and as you said, it only took a few minutes for the car to transfer to the dealership's account. Likewise, it would only take a few minutes for the dealership to transfer the vehicle to the new owner's account.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I bought it Friday, it has not been transferred to my tesla account, which is the problem apparently. I called support and they said 3-5 days for the transfer to take place, they have 400-500 requests in queue. Apparently this happens all the time. Used car dealerships are just not communicating to expect to be cut off from supercharging for the first 3-5 days. I was just frustrated and surprised they would block me from charging this car I bought. I'm calm now. Lol I had some anxiety about this because I have to drive the car from CA to TX to get it registered. I think everything is fine. I just have to use 1772 if it's not approved by Friday when I leave for TX.
You can charge at home. No one's blocking you. You can pay for fast charging at 3rd party chargers. No one's blocking you. If you go to N Korea or Cuba, you can't ask for permission, because they don't have superchargers.