Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging unavailable Add Payment method

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a trip to California this weekend and the 3rd time we supercharged, it locked us out after it finished. My account online doesn’t show an unpaid balance, my card was charged for all 3 supercharges, and I have 2 credit cards on file. Anyone know how to fix this? I can’t get a Tesla service person on the phone because they’re closed.

REALLY Need help so I’m not stranded in California.
D2FE757E-F181-4AE8-AE25-EAC9FF68468F.jpeg
217A450F-43FD-402C-849B-2FFB5A0F97C2.jpeg
11E4FCDE-CCA1-4791-903B-BC9DA02396D7.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Sometimes I have seen people report something like this when they buy a used model 3. Here are a couple of threads I remember (and found by searching):

I didnt read through them again so I dont remember the outcome, but you can read through them and see if it helps you.

One time not long after getting my Model 3 and after SCing a few times I had a message when I went to charge at a Supercharger that I couldn't charge. Not exactly sure of the message. Seem to recall we sat in my car at the SC and called Support. My husband ended up using his card info on my car and I was able to charge with his card. In my case pretty sure it turned out that my credit card expiration date on my Tesla account needed updating. Same card number just hadn’t thought when it got renewed with a new year to update the info on accounts I had the card listed on as a payment method. Not sure if that’s your situation or not. To access your account payment info you need to log into the Tesla website and do it there. Worth checking out.

Another similar instance I had years before was when I was traveling and renting a car out of state. Went to put gas in the car and it wouldn’t take my card. No problem with account balance, account was current and not near limit. That incident was my credit card company seeing charges out of state when I had rarely traveled back then. Guess they were concerned my card was being used by someone else and it was suspicious activity. This despite an airline ticket and car rental deposit having gone through prior to the gas station, so go figure. Guess it depends on the person monitoring your account at the time and seeing a string of charges. I’ve since learned to call my cc company ahead of time and have my account noted about travel plans. Husband did so before traveling out of country which could have been a worse situation to find yourself in.

Hope your issue gets resolved and your able to go back to Supercharging. Do let us know what the issue turns out to be.

Last edited:
Are you sure card ***4928 hasn't expired? It says your previous charges, the invoice is pending. I didn't realize you could have 2 cards attached to your account. Have you tried the other one?

I remember one person posting in one of those threads that they finally were able to resolve this same situation by:

Logging into their Tesla account and deleting all forms of payment.

Logging out of their account.

Logging back into their account and adding one known-good form of payment.

Logging back out.

The author stated not to take any shortcuts... do EXACTLY these steps for the greatest chance of success.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I remember one person posting in one of those threads that they finally were able to resolve this same situation by:

Logging into their Tesla account and deleting all forms of payment.

Logging out of their account.

Logging back into their account and adding one known-good form of payment.

Logging back out.

The author stated not to take any shortcuts... do EXACTLY these steps for the greatest chance of success.
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to delete a payment method

Have you called / contacted tesla roadside assistance so that you can charge, until this gets worked out?
Yep. They told me I had to wait until Monday. They wouldn’t enable charging at all. They said I’d have to use destination chargers or j1772 charges until they can figure out the issue. They did tell me it was not because of any unpaid balance from me but possibly from the previous owner

Yep. They told me I had to wait until Monday. They wouldn’t enable charging at all. They said I’d have to use destination chargers or j1772 charges until they can figure out the issue. They did tell me it was not because of any unpaid balance from me but possibly from the previous owner
If your trip happens to take you through St. George, Utah, I'll hook you up to my wall connector for as long as you need at no charge. We will also make sure you and anyone you're traveling with gets food and whatever else you need. There is one caveat, however... we will NOT take any money for this, and you must agree to that provision prior to plugging in. :)

This perfect example of lack of customer service on Tesla's part really makes my blood boil. This is such a show stopping problem that they need to make sure someone is available 24/7/365 to make sure their customers aren't stranded. Just... wow. Think I'll leave it at that, before I break a key off my keyboard.

If your trip happens to take you through St. George, Utah, I'll hook you up to my wall connector for as long as you need at no charge. We will also make sure you and anyone you're traveling with gets food and whatever else you need. There is one caveat, however... we will NOT take any money for this, and you must agree to that provision prior to plugging in. :)

This perfect example of lack of customer service on Tesla's part really makes my blood boil. This is such a show stopping problem that they need to make sure someone is available 24/7/365 to make sure their customers aren't stranded. Just... wow. Think I'll leave it at that, before I break a key off my keyboard.
We’re headed back to Phoenix but I’ll be going through st George next week up to SLC so if it happens again I’ll take you up on the offer! I really appreciate it!

Hope your issue gets resolved and your able to go back to Supercharging. Do let us know what the issue turns out to be.
So I called support this morning and after being on hold and confirming that I do have a card on file, there are no outstanding charges, and they don’t know why I got blocked, they said they would unlock it for a one time supercharge while they investigate the issue and if I need to charge again before it’s resolved, I would have to call in and request a one time unlock again. I was very frustrated by this answer but needed to get on the road.

The notification disappeared after the call so I got charged up and went on my way expecting to have to call at the next stop but to my surprise, charging worked without issue all the way home. Now I cross my fingers that it works all the way from Phoenix to Salt Lake tomorrow.

That happened to me once while on a road trip in my Model S. I didn’t get locked out, but I did get the notification that I needed to add a payment method. In my case, it was a temporary web site issue that resolved itself.
Had the same thing last year ~400 miles from home. Went to charge and it said, fuhgedditaboutit, no credit card on file. Rebooted computer but still no go. Went back to hotel, pulled up account on laptop, and the card was still showing in my account. Next day it worked fine, so it did resolve itself.