Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging While Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It occurred to me that it would be very difficult to travel any real distance while towing a trailer if you had to disconnect your trailer every 250 miles. I could see a double pull through charge working but those are few and far between in my experience. Anyone know if Tesla has something in mind to combat this?

With or without a trailer range is most affected by elevation change and by weather. With a trailer of any sort your range will be affected by the size and shape of the trailer and, of course, in particular it's gross loaded weight. There's so many variables it's impossible to make any generalized comments on range other than "Trailering will affect your range".

As far as supercharging is concerned, it takes no more than a minute to unhook even a heavy trailer. Folks new to towing tend to take more time backing up to attach a trailer, with a little practice it can be measured in seconds rather minutes. I trailer horses on at least a monthly basis and unhooking/rehooking wouldn't add more than a couple of minutes to a supercharger stop.

As far as supercharging is concerned, it takes no more than a minute to unhook even a heavy trailer.

The actually hook may take a minute but there's so much more to it than that. Finding a space for your trailer, unhooking, jacking it up, securing the trailer so it doesn't get stolen, etc. is going to take more than a minute. Doing it one time for a long trip is not a big deal, having to do it at every charge will get old quick.

The actually hook may take a minute but there's so much more to it than that. Finding a space for your trailer, unhooking, jacking it up, securing the trailer so it doesn't get stolen, etc. is going to take more than a minute. Doing it one time for a long trip is not a big deal, having to do it at every charge will get old quick.

You obviously never used a supercharger or a trailer. Most superchargers are set away from busy areas and every one I've ever seen has plenty of spaces around. Also, from a safety perspective you always secure your trailer prior to driving; you don't risk anything popping open while you're underway. Even if you need to prevent anyone hooking up and driving off with your trailer, every owner knows this is simply done with a padlock on the ball cup lock.

No need to imagine problems where they don't exist.

You obviously never used a supercharger or a trailer. Most superchargers are set away from busy areas and every one I've ever seen has plenty of spaces around. Also, from a safety perspective you always secure your trailer prior to driving; you don't risk anything popping open while you're underway. Even if you need to prevent anyone hooking up and driving off with your trailer, every owner knows this is simply done with a padlock on the ball cup lock.

No need to imagine problems where they don't exist.

I trailer my motorcycle to the track about once or twice a month. It takes more more than a minute because I triple check everything to make sure it is safe and secure. You obliviously have more time and patience than I do so kudos to you. If I had to repeat this process at every fill up and I'm talking with a 400 plus range, it would drive me crazy. Padlock on the ball is not really a security device, it's more about safety .

?..securing the trailer so it doesn't get stolen...
How likely is it that someone will steal your unhooked trailer while you are Supercharging your X for 30 minutes? If you are worried about that, I suggest that you keep it within visual range while charging.
You certainly are creative in coming up with extremely low probability scenarios to support your position.

How likely is it that someone will steal your unhooked trailer while you are Supercharging your X for 30 minutes? If you are worried about that, I suggest that you keep it within visual range while charging.

I would think that if you're towing, you will need the most range possible so you're not going for a quick 30 minute top off which would be what, less than 100 miles of towing range? You're more likely to stay the whole 1.5 hours to get 100 percent. To answer your question, coming up with an exact percentage would be quite difficult but I would guess it's way more likely than if it was still hooked up to your car and the fill up only took five minutes as in a traditional gas tow vehicle.

:smile:

It seems like hooking/unhooking is mostly about the backing up to match with the trailer, and the backup camera should help immensely with this. Maybe Tesla even has done some work to help in guiding the backing, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The rest of the process should be easy and routine. The only time it would NOT be is if the trailer is huge and/or the tongue weight is too high.

There is a lot we don't know about towing with the MX, but one thing I can guarantee -- it will not be like towing with a giant truck where tongue weight is not much of a concern. You will have to have your load balanced very carefully to assure sufficient, but not excessive tongue weight. However, this is something that will not have to be re-done at every supercharger stop. Once you have the load set at the beginning of the trip, you won't mess with it.

Tesla should do what they can to provide at least one Supercharging stall at each location where charging can be done with the trailer hooked up. I have never had to unhook a trailer just to fill up at a gas station.

Maybe a small utility trailer or similar can be unhooked in "a minute." Chock the wheels, lower the jack, unhook the chains, unplug the lights, lift it off the ball. Hooking it up is going to take longer. Back up cameras help a lot. If the trailer is light enough that you can move it by hand, that helps.

But if it's a heavier trailer like a travel trailer with weight distribution, you aren't going to want to be hooking and unhooking it at Superchargers.

Towing our low-profile fifth wheel reduces our range by about 50%.

Tesla should do what they can to provide at least one Supercharging stall at each location where charging can be done with the trailer hooked up. I have never had to unhook a trailer just to fill up at a gas station.

They ARE doing that with most all of the new Supercharger locations. At least one of them is accessible pulled sideways with the trailer out of the way. Supercharger - Sandy, OR - Page 3

It would be good if that stall had a sign that says something like "Priority is given to Model X with cargo/trailer"

Maybe a small utility trailer or similar can be unhooked in "a minute." Chock the wheels, lower the jack, unhook the chains, unplug the lights, lift it off the ball. Hooking it up is going to take longer. Back up cameras help a lot. If the trailer is light enough that you can move it by hand, that helps.

But if it's a heavier trailer like a travel trailer with weight distribution, you aren't going to want to be hooking and unhooking it at Superchargers.

The only difference between a small trailer and a heavy trailer is that you're cranking down the front support leg. Apart from burning a few calories the difference is maybe 20 secs.

Don't buy a Model X then. Simple. Sure, there will be some adjustments needed but it's not the end of the world. Consider it the cost of towing something heavy but not spending a dime in fuel.

I agree with the comment about your creativity in finding ways to paint things in the worst possible light. Do you have any interest in EVs in general, own one or plan to get one? Ever driven one even?

Last edited:

Towing our low-profile fifth wheel reduces our range by about 50%.

Most gas stations don't have room for someone towing.