Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging While Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only difference between a small trailer and a heavy trailer is that you're cranking down the front support leg. Apart from burning a few calories the difference is maybe 20 secs.

....and finding a place to put the big trailer, and backing the awkward thing into a tight space, and chocking the wheels, and unhooking the usually dual safety chains and surge or electric brake, and fiddling with the equalizer hitch. Sorry Nige, you don't know what you're talking about. I find if everything goes perfectly, it takes just under 5 minutes. That's rare.

That said, the MX can't tow anything but a pretty light trailer, so hooking or unhooking that may only take two or three minutes.

At all the superchargers I've been to with the one odd-direction stall, leaving a trailer hooked on while supercharging would leave it stuck out into traffic, blocking access to other cars.

There are approaches to charging while driving. One is to build a generator into a trailer and tow it along on long trips. e.g. Charge to go: The EP Tender portable EV range extender With the right circuitry in the car, you can recharge while driving. No reason you couldn't add something like this to a large trailer that's mostly about carrying something else--a mobile home, a boat, horses, etc. (one idea was to have the trailer be self-powered and steered, following along and doing exactly what tow vehicle does. The tow vehicle really would be easy to hook up then--just plug it in--and it could be any compatible car. Pull a 10 ton trailer with an electric Smart...or motorcycle...if you like.

And then there's this: UK to test new roads that charge cars as they drive - Aug. 18, 2015 If done correctly, you only need to have the charging lane on one lane in each direction of big through roads, the sort of roads that were where the first superchargers went. If they're broadly implemented, they'd obviate the need for big-battery electrics. small battery electrics could recharge while driving, including, I should point out, long haul trucking, and they'd have plenty of charge for the last few miles.

--Snortybartfast.

Well I trailer horses at least every month, boats from time to time and a 16'x7' utility trailer on a regular basis; over the year I average at least 3 times a month, oh and not including hooking up a spreader once per week. Perhaps you just need more practice?

You are correct, I only connect up to a trailer a dozen times a year or so, although I have been doing it for 50 years, and there were about 10 years in there where I did it more than 100 times a year, but to a lighter trailer. I thought I was pretty good at it but I bow to your vast experience and unique skill.

You can't base a design that needs to be consumer-friendly on something that takes a lot of skill to get right.

I think you're failing to count most of the time consumed, which is fiddling with getting things lined up, most especially, planning. practice and nav aids help a lot (about 10 years ago, I got one of these Amazon.com: Maxxtow Towing Products 70043 Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit: Automotive helps a lot. a backup camera would be even better but I haven't got one on my current tow vehicle)

Sorry Nige, you don't know what you're talking about. I find if everything goes perfectly, it takes just under 5 minutes. That's rare.

Man, you guys got me beat. I usually take about 15 minutes because I'm paranoid and triple check everything including the trailer lights and signals with a helper. This is in broad daylight too. I imagine if you were to tow with the X, there will be times you will need to supercharge at night or in the rain. That would make it an absolute pain go unhook and hook the trailer.

Man, you guys got me beat. I usually take about 15 minutes because I'm paranoid and triple check everything including the trailer lights and signals with a helper. This is in broad daylight too. I imagine if you were to tow with the X, there will be times you will need to supercharge at night or in the rain. That would make it an absolute pain go unhook and hook the trailer.

Pham, you don't have an S or an X so why do you want to make so many things into big issues? People supercharge in the rain, they vacation in the rain and there are times when one has to hitch or unhitch a trailer in the rain. So?

They ARE doing that with most all of the new Supercharger locations. At least one of them is accessible pulled sideways with the trailer out of the way. Supercharger - Sandy, OR - Page 3

It would be good if that stall had a sign that says something like "Priority is given to Model X with cargo/trailer"

Great. There's no problem then. Seems like a sensible thing to do when possible. If I get a Model X someday it will come in very handy.

Most gas stations don't have room for someone towing.

Some don't, but there are more gas stations than Superchargers. All truck stops have room. I have never had trouble finding somewhere to fill up while hitched, towing across Ontario and Michigan.

IMHO, Anybody who thinks long distance towing with their Model X hitched to anything other than a lightweight pop-up camper, simple flatbed or reasonably sized enclosed trailer is "gonna have a bad time."

True that!

I don't have much towing experience as I have only towed approx 40,000 miles between Boston and Ft. Liqueurdale and now between Central Va and Central Fl. I tow an enclosed car carrier (no v-nose) with a weight distribution hitch totaling #7,800 that's as aerodynamic as a brick. One could easily cut the range of an X by 50% towing a 5,000 load with terrible air dynamics.

Pham, you don't have an S or an X so why do you want to make so many things into big issues? People supercharge in the rain, they vacation in the rain and there are times when one has to hitch or unhitch a trailer in the rain. So?

To be fair, I think this is an issue for someone who wants to tow. I've been talking to a buddy of mine who has always driven SUVs about the X. He has a second home with a supercharger mid-way (I was at his place yesterday and used said supercharger). About 3/4 of the time he is towing a trailer to and from the summer home. Bringing lumber, building materials, his garden tractor, boat and such. I have to supercharge at least once (usually twice) on the round trip, so an X towing something definitely would. I think having to uncouple , while possible, would be a showstopper for him. Especially in the winter.

I do like @HankLloydRight's idea for an extension cable and was going to suggest that myself.

Here's someone's actual experience towing a 1,260lb trailer 1000 miles: Edmunds

It's definitely do-able but I don't think mainstream users will accept all the extra time it takes. At least until the remote SCs become more crowded, you can often get away with not unhooking the trailer, but the average energy use to tow his 1,260lb trailer raised to 612 Wh/mile which means range is cut almost in half. He spent an average of 1:34 charging to near 100% around every 100 miles (23.02 hours driving, 17.23 hours charging). The need to charge near 100% is the time killer much more than the possible need to unhook the trailer.

Reactions: Rossy
It occurred to me that it would be very difficult to travel any real distance while towing a trailer if you had to disconnect your trailer every 250 miles. I could see a double pull through charge working but those are few and far between in my experience. Anyone know if Tesla has something in mind to combat this?
Based on Bjorn Nylands tow data I'm thinking I may have to plan charging at 100-115 mile intervals while towing here in the Pacific Northwest. I'm thinking willing to unhook as needed so I don't have to pay "The Man" for fossil fuels. Ask me again after I've done my first model X towing road trip on the SC network. I'm thinking a CHAdeMO adaptor ($450) will also likely be needed.

With or without a trailer range is most affected by elevation change and by weather. With a trailer of any sort your range will be affected by the size and shape of the trailer and, of course, in particular it's gross loaded weight. There's so many variables it's impossible to make any generalized comments on range other than "Trailering will affect your range".

As far as supercharging is concerned, it takes no more than a minute to unhook even a heavy trailer. Folks new to towing tend to take more time backing up to attach a trailer, with a little practice it can be measured in seconds rather minutes. I trailer horses on at least a monthly basis and unhooking/rehooking wouldn't add more than a couple of minutes to a supercharger stop.

With or without a trailer range is most affected by elevation change and by weather. With a trailer of any sort your range will be affected by the size and shape of the trailer and, of course, in particular it's gross loaded weight. There's so many variables it's impossible to make any generalized comments on range other than "Trailering will affect your range".

As far as supercharging is concerned, it takes no more than a minute to unhook even a heavy trailer. Folks new to towing tend to take more time backing up to attach a trailer, with a little practice it can be measured in seconds rather minutes. I trailer horses on at least a monthly basis and unhooking/rehooking wouldn't add more than a couple of minutes to a supercharger stop.
We are 2 ladies who do not know how to take the Tesla off the tow ball and we are going from Bakersfield, CA to Phoenix, AZ (485 miles). Stopping every 125 miles will take us 3 days. Doesn’t sound appealing at all.

I do daily 80 mile driving with a trailer. The best way to hook and unhook is to put the MX on the highest suspension height. Place a jack stand under the frame near the tongue of the trailer. Chock the wheels, Unpin / Uncouple from the ball and remove chains / 7pin connector. Lower MX height to very low and pull away to super charge. When hooking up make sure to backup in very low and once lined up bring suspension back to very high. Hook everything up and remove jack stand. I have a electric jack for my trailer, and most would just use that, but I’ve become so impatient with how slow it is. Btw I don’t super charge for this commute, my 2019 P100D starts at 90% and completes this trip at 50%