Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Surface corrosion"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to refer to a recent explanation of body surface "corrosion" which is not try corrosion, but likely staining and d/t the type of steel used as well as lack of protectant applied on all Cybertruck vehicles. It is my opinion that these trucks should never have been released without either surface protection or, more specifically, without informing the purchaser of this possibility. This type of error should not have occurred, but since it has, Tesla needs to fix the issue immediately, including repairing the problem on sold cars. If not, Tesla's sales and reputation will be severely injured. That said, I'm sure that Tesla will deal with this problem appropriately. Right?

It's a truck not a lambo. All the trucks that the CT is being compared to will be rotting away soon but stainless is forever. The press is making a mountain out of a mole hill to get clicks. If you expect maintenance free instant gratification then get a butler. The hyped rust is not like the rust of a painted steel car.

I am thankful that people will see this as another strike against the vehicle I can't buy right now because the demand is so much higher than supply. It will be annoying when it gets beat up on the job but it's not a lambo.

I'd like to refer to a recent explanation of body surface "corrosion" which is not try corrosion, but likely staining and d/t the type of steel used as well as lack of protectant applied on all Cybertruck vehicles. It is my opinion that these trucks should never have been released without either surface protection or, more specifically, without informing the purchaser of this possibility. This type of error should not have occurred, but since it has, Tesla needs to fix the issue immediately, including repairing the problem on sold cars. If not, Tesla's sales and reputation will be severely injured. That said, I'm sure that Tesla will deal with this problem appropriately. Right?
Via Wes -- Cybertruck Lead Engineer plus Reliability, Test, and Analysis for all Tesla vehicles.

_ Stainless is reactive and free iron that sits on it will rust. It's surface contamination only and can be cleaned off easily. Bar Keeper's Friend used here works well, citrisurf77 can also loosen the deposit and simply wipe it off. If anything stubborn use a blue non-scratch Scotch Brite pad as it won't leave any marks on the metal.

_ Iron becomes iron oxide until there's no free iron left to convert. In the process it creates red corrosion product which you'll see on the surface. Clean it anytime or don't if it doesn't bother you. It's not the base metal. The specs are about the size of the pin of a pinhead.

It's a truck not a lambo. All the trucks that the CT is being compared to will be rotting away soon but stainless is forever. The press is making a mountain out of a mole hill to get clicks. If you expect maintenance free instant gratification then get a butler. The hyped rust is not like the rust of a painted steel car.

I am thankful that people will see this as another strike against the vehicle I can't buy right now because the demand is so much higher than supply. It will be annoying when it gets beat up on the job but it's not a lambo.

I don’t think it’ll take too many beating at the local gold club

ABC instead of Always Be Charging it will be Always Be Cleaning. Maybe it is just me but I don't want to see Rust streaks on my 100K Truck

You obviously have not seen the paint on new Ford trucks then.

So sick of this… Tesla claiming the stainless steel would be amazing, that we don’t need to paint them.

The result are quite different however. The stainless they choose shows finger prints like crazy and now has rust spots.

Now everyone needs to spend 7,000 on a wrap every 2-3 years.

My question is… what will they look like in 5 years.

Just ridiculous

Reactions: Suns_PSD and coleAK
Some folks are gonna garage and maintain their truck with resale value, cleanliness as a priority. Most truck owners know that things will happen on a job site or back road or weekend off-roading that negates the garage clean idea.

Some folks are gonna garage and maintain their truck with resale value, cleanliness as a priority. Most truck owners know that things will happen on a job site or back road or weekend off-roading that negates the garage clean idea.
True also.

Speaking of resale values… can you imagine … you overpaid by 30,000 for a Cyberturd, and now they offer 1/2 to buy it back.

Negative equity is killing credit ratings.

The thing is stainless won’t rust through in the life of a CT but the spots in question will permanently stain. Here is one of my dive knives. Cosmetic, but it’s there, and been there for >10 years. Only way I’m getting it off is if I wanted to sand it down.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpeg
    IMG_1099.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 23
The thing is stainless won’t rust through in the life of a CT but the spots in question will permanently stain. Here is one of my dive knives. Cosmetic, but it’s there, and been there for >10 years. Only way I’m getting it off is if I wanted to sand it down.
I wonder if Tesla would had said, hey we are not going to paint this thing, so if you won’t spend 8,000 on a wrap every 2-3 years, your gonna get some rust spots all over it, so be prepared. They must have known, so if they had said that, would peole be so crazy happy for the stainless steel exterior?

Reactions: coleAK