Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surfboard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to fit a surfboard in their Model 3? I’d like to have one fit through diagonally all the way to the front (passenger seat fully reclined), and I’m curious as to how long of a board will fit.

Also, this would be a good time to get confirmation that the card key is fully waterproof...?

The larger split of the 60/40 rear folding seats is on the drivers side. If you put the front seat fully forward, you could fit a board up to a max of 7'3".

The dimensions of the splits are 17" wide on the passenger side, 25.5" wide on the driver's side, 18" high.

The front seats do not fully recline and you cannot remove the headrests. Going diagonal through the center might work (thought about it, but haven't tried it), but keep in mind the touch screen is super wide.

I did put a 9'0" longboard on the roof with temporary straps, but I never drove more than 45 mph, and felt really uncomfortable about it.. It would probably be OK, but it felt weird for me.

As for the keycard, it is waterproof. When I took delivery this was confirmed as well as saying that it was covered under warranty (although didn't say how long) and that if it stopped working, you could go request a replacement at a service center. When I surf, I leave my phone in airplane mode and I just slide the card into the arm of my wetsuit near my bicep. Done this a dozen times with no issue. It is small and flexible and feels like a hotel keycard.

One time the card did not work right away, after about 5 minutes, I tried opening the handle (still locked) but the car made some sounds, so I tried the card again and it worked... Worse case scenario, I would find a stranger and borrower their phone and call my wife to remote unlock the car with her phone.
IMG_20180410_173902.jpg
IMG_20180408_092101.jpg

Glad to know that the key card is waterproof and they will warranty it. I forgot to ask when I picked up my car. I do a lot of open water swimming and triathlons and was considering drilling a hole in the card so I could clip it to my shorts. Anyone have any thoughts on that idea? I believe there is an antenna around the edge of the card. I just put my bike into my 3 for a ride today and it fits easily I have not tried my surfboard yet. We need roof racks!

Glad to know that the key card is waterproof and they will warranty it. I forgot to ask when I picked up my car. I do a lot of open water swimming and triathlons and was considering drilling a hole in the card so I could clip it to my shorts. Anyone have any thoughts on that idea? I believe there is an antenna around the edge of the card. I just put my bike into my 3 for a ride today and it fits easily I have not tried my surfboard yet. We need roof racks!
I don't know the thread off-hand, but someone had the same idea as you and actually X-ray'd the card and posted pictures so people could see the safe areas to drill a hole in. So probably just search for "xray keycard" and you'll find it.

Reactions: jtri
The larger split of the 60/40 rear folding seats is on the drivers side. If you put the front seat fully forward, you could fit a board up to a max of 7'3".

The dimensions of the splits are 17" wide on the passenger side, 25.5" wide on the driver's side, 18" high.

The front seats do not fully recline and you cannot remove the headrests. Going diagonal through the center might work (thought about it, but haven't tried it), but keep in mind the touch screen is super wide.

I did put a 9'0" longboard on the roof with temporary straps, but I never drove more than 45 mph, and felt really uncomfortable about it.. It would probably be OK, but it felt weird for me.

As for the keycard, it is waterproof. When I took delivery this was confirmed as well as saying that it was covered under warranty (although didn't say how long) and that if it stopped working, you could go request a replacement at a service center. When I surf, I leave my phone in airplane mode and I just slide the card into the arm of my wetsuit near my bicep. Done this a dozen times with no issue. It is small and flexible and feels like a hotel keycard.

One time the card did not work right away, after about 5 minutes, I tried opening the handle (still locked) but the car made some sounds, so I tried the card again and it worked... Worse case scenario, I would find a stranger and borrower their phone and call my wife to remote unlock the car with her phone.View attachment 294187 View attachment 294188

Very helpful. Thank you for this.
I’m still waiting for my invite (despite being day 1, line waiter, Bay Area... so confused that I haven’t been invited yet!).
As a result, I don’t have an appreciation for the width of the screen.

How long is your board in the second photo?

OP, I fit two 6’3” surfboards easily diagonally (back seats are down). I am tall though so my seat is backed all the way. I actually went today.. we may go tomorrow if it doesn’t get too windy and I will take a picture or a video.

A word of caution: I do not know how tall you are but you would not be able to fit a 7”3 surfboards behind me.

So, I was able to fit an 8’ surfboard in the car today (just tested it at home), and had some additional space (length) left. Could probably go another 4-6”.

Steps:
1) lower rear seats
2) move passenger seat forward
3) recline passenger seat as far as possible
4) slide board diagonally in from trunk.

Keep in mind, this makes it a one person and one board affair, but seems do-able and still have space for wetsuit, towel, etc.
I do have concerns about messing up the interior given this is my first new car in a long time.

I was finally brave enough to try and put my longboard inside. It is 9'0".
IMG_20180930_104002.jpg
IMG_20180930_103935.jpg
IMG_20180930_103919.jpg
It is the same scenario as @geometro. Both rear seats folded forward, passenger seat all the way forward and fully reclined. The board fits diagonally and rests at an angle on the center arm rest and passenger seat headrest. Plenty of room for the driver, but no passengers, and limited vision obstruction by the board out the passenger window.

OP, I fit two 6’3” surfboards easily diagonally (back seats are down). I am tall though so my seat is backed all the way. I actually went today.. we may go tomorrow if it doesn’t get too windy and I will take a picture or a video.

A word of caution: I do not know how tall you are but you would not be able to fit a 7”3 surfboards behind me.

I agree. Most of the boards I ride are under 6'0" and easily fit behind me with just the 60% seat split folded down. I did manage to fit a 7'6" board diagonally with the passenger seat fully forward and fully upright. A passenger might technically be able to sit in the passenger seat, but it would be awkward.