Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surround Car Display Delayed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New 2023 MYLR owner. I’ve noticed the surrounding traffic depiction isn’t reliable or should I say it’s delays so not helpful for switching lanes. It seems cars don’t show on the screen where they really are.

The screen will show cars behind me and an opening but I’ll look left and there’s definitely a car hanging out not a safe gap to merge.

Is this normal or do I need to recalibrate? I attached some pictures when stopped at a light, this one was closer but still off.

Attachments

• 34EB5EED-BAFF-464C-B478-D27E00C2F2C8.jpeg
    34EB5EED-BAFF-464C-B478-D27E00C2F2C8.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 45E7DEE7-1958-4EC4-B76A-61DC3F38568F.jpeg
    45E7DEE7-1958-4EC4-B76A-61DC3F38568F.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 51
Do not rely on the traffic visualization for changing lanes. Use the blind spot camera and/or turn your head. Your cameras may need time to calibrate if your car is brand new. I think you’ll find you don’t use the traffic visualization for much anyway.

Do not rely on the traffic visualization for changing lanes. Use the blind spot camera and/or turn your head. Your cameras may need time to calibrate if your car is brand new. I think you’ll find you don’t use the traffic visualization for much anyway.
Thanks for the reply and information. I’ve got probably 400 miles in the car so don’t suspect it needs a recal.

I’ll definitely continue to manually look and turn my head to merge but maybe add in the camera as an additional check ignoring the depictions.

From the get go when visualizations were first introduced, they specifically said that it does not capture all the traffic - it's not their intent. Tesla included them as a way to give the driver some assurances that the cameras/AI are working. Like Cudaman340 says, use your head and cameras for checking.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54