Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey Do You Need a UMC?

Survey. Do You Need a UMC?

• Yes: I use it as my main charger

Votes: 98 28.0%
  • Yes: I use it occasionally

Votes: 116 33.1%
  • Yes: I never use it but like to have it for emergencies

Votes: 101 28.9%
  • No: Don't need it. Won't be getting one

Votes: 35 10.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I’ve been impressed with the charging network around Scotland. So far we’ve had no issues the times that we’ve used them and plenty of choice.
I'm a bit surprised Wales is so far behind Scotland to be honest, as environmentally speaking the Welsh Assembly Government is fairly progressive. Something to do with having closer ties to UK government investment/less devolution?

If you ordered before April 17th you get UMC with car
The Tesla website as of yesterday 20th April still includes the granny charger on the list of supplied items. If you purchase on the basis of what they advertise then its a contract they have to abide by. I am considering ordering a new 3P as I offered up my 3P as a trade in yesterday - their offer was stunning and just having the heart V head argument of whether to go ahead.

If you ordered before April 17th you get UMC with car
That is a very definitive statement.
Tell that to the people who ordered when the cars had fully functioning front USB ports and passenger lumbar adjustment.
Or the people who ordered before the M3 had a heat pump or powered boot then got one anyway.
Tesla's gonna Tesla. You either come along for the ride or you don't.

The Tesla website as of yesterday 20th April still includes the granny charger on the list of supplied items. If you purchase on the basis of what they advertise then its a contract they have to abide by. I am considering ordering a new 3P as I offered up my 3P as a trade in yesterday - their offer was stunning and just having the heart V head argument of whether to go ahead.
where does it say that?
Its not on the actually vehicle order page is it?

If you go on the Tesla website to place an order - on the first page just below the model selection there is a "further details" link, when you click that - under the section "Charging" it states -

Easy Charging​

Charge anywhere there is electricity. Most range used for daily driving can be topped off using the Mobile Connector Bundle and an approved outlet, or upgrade to a Tesla Wall Connector for the best home charging experience. For long distance travel, Model 3 adds up to 171 miles of range in just 15 minutes using Tesla’s Supercharger network, getting you back on the road, sooner.

That is a very definitive statement.
Tell that to the people who ordered when the cars had fully functioning front USB ports and passenger lumbar adjustment.
Or the people who ordered before the M3 had a heat pump or powered boot then got one anyway.
Tesla's gonna Tesla. You either come along for the ride or you don't.
I got this from a Tesla news YouTube channel, that's what they said apparently

As I ordered my M3P last week, this news about removing UMC's concerned me somewhat especially as I have only ever used a UMC with a 32A adaptor to charge my car. I contacted Tesla France this morning and received the following reply: 'EMEA is not concerned by this issue. You will have a UMC with the car.' I presume Tesla UK is also in Tesla EMEA so anyone whose car/order is eventually managed by Tilburg HQ would appear not to be affected.

The UMC has been my main method of charging since 2019 as I have a 32a commando set up. In fact, it was so critical I bought another (off eBay) to carry in the car as the other one is attached to the wall in case of theft.
Our holiday cottage this year assured us there was an EV charger, which was good as there was nothing else anywhere near (some odd chargers in the supermarket we never figured out what app even used). when we got to the cottage there was a shiny, non-functioning charger so we needed the UMC as our only charger for the fortnight. (cottage owner did LATER confirm there had been trouble with the charger since installation but didn't tell us it might actually not work)

Reactions: Matt125