Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Penny test gives you some idea of wear.

1630125965802.png

Ok, lets establish a baseline:

Charged up the car last night, but a bunch of dots on the power bar/regen so obviously cold and will try to replicate this with new tires:

SOC: 253miles
Weather: 41F, partly cloudy
Driver: Fasted state, skipped breakfast, large cup of coffee in the car
Car: Heat off, windows up, various types of music at half volume
Tires: Stock tires F 255/31/21 (40psi, heated up to 44 post trip), R 275/35/21 (40psi, heated up to 44 post trip)
Front clearance: 6"
Rear clearance: 5"
Trip Leg A: 8.2 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 264 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)
Trip Leg B: 7.9 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 251 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)
Does this rub? It looks like it will rub.

Cushier ride and much better protection from the potholes. I noticed a slight rub, in the front tires (the back wall of the front tires gets a little rub). It only rubs when you have the wheel turned 75% one way or the other. you can turn it past that point and its fine. So it rubs at about 75%, very slight. you would not experience it during normal driving conditions because you would not be turning the wheel that aggressively at any speed. Only slight feel, when parking, as you aggressively turn the wheel (at full stop or 1-2mph). So, still think its a success and the feel of the ride is dramatically improved, I dont even worry about that slight rub.
Your contribution lives on, just ordered some Michelin A/S 4 265/40/21 and 285/40/21. Thanks!!

I would really be interested in some feedback from people that wore their pirellis down to zero and then switched to this setup. I am curious about the differences they are seeing. Thank you all and keep on improving the Tesla experience.
Hey @Quorky did you ever get a chance to find out how many miles you can get on those new tires? Trying to figure out which tires have the longest life with the quietest thread.

Hey @Quorky did you ever get a chance to find out how many miles you can get on those new tires? Trying to figure out which tires have the longest life with the quietest thread.

To be honest, I have no idea. The pics I posted above is where I am at right now. I am in NYC and here the roads are really awful. Potholes, uneven, road debris...etc - these conditions really chew through the tires. I also think that Tesla chews through tires a bit faster due to weight and the low end torque. I think these tires, on a comparative basis have great performance. I will update here when my Y ears through these. Thank you.

Reactions: PackMan730
I would really be interested in some feedback from people that wore their pirellis down to zero and then switched to this setup. I am curious about the differences they are seeing. Thank you all and keep on improving the Tesla experience.
I’m interested to hear other members feedback too! Because I’m also on the fence of getting this size but I was told by the shop that this size will rub. So they recommend the 255/275 for 21’s.

Thanks for sharing. Any rubbing issues when wheels are fully turned?
My pleasure. I have not noticed any rubbing so far. Set the tire pressure to cold 46 psi, and could not be happier with the car and tires.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    631.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG