Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bookmarked for when the p-zeros die. 😄
Is there more of a body roll sensation when cornering with this taller setup?

Honestly cant tell you that part. I feel that the Model Y has some body roll in general vs the Model 3 performance I had prior to this. I never really spent much time at all on the PZeros. I got the car delivered in Jan and its too cold in NYC to drive on the PZeros, so I swapped them out almost immediately.

Reactions: Jefsla
Great post, once again thank you 👏👌👍 How's the wear over the last six months, have you measured? Just wondering since the PZeros seem to go pretty quickly.

I have not measured the wear to be honest. Dont have a tool to do that. I can eyeball it, but the wear rating on tire rack site says it is 540, which is dramatically higher than stock - should get good mileage out of these. I also run 48-50psi on them, so might even get more life out of them.

Thank you for helping. I have a question. I ordered some Vossen HF-3 Wheels and the offset brings the wheels out a little more than stock. In your opinion will this create more rub running your tire setup?

I would say on a wheel that is slightly bumped out, the slight rub should be less, rather than more, due to the diagonal being reduced a fraction. That is just a guess, based on the limited number of considered variables at play.

I would say on a wheel that is slightly bumped out, the slight rub should be less, rather than more, due to the diagonal being reduced a fraction. That is just a guess, based on the limited number of considered variables at play.
After driving for a while any issues with awd system or motor when the overall diameter is 2.4% different from front to back?

It worked and like you mentioned and has no rub. Thanks Again!

Attachments

• IMG_8556.jpeg
    IMG_8556.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 364
Ok, we have some data. All the estimates proved to be accurate and the tires fit with plenty of room to spare. See pics. The speedometer is off by ~4.6% (fully expected) so will need to adjust for it on the WH/Mi

I may do another test in a few weeks to get a better idea of what is happening but the short story is, we have little to no efficiency drops:

SOC: 253miles - Same as initial test
Weather: 35F, partly cloudy - colder than last time by 5-6 degrees
Driver: Fasted state, skipped breakfast, large cup of coffee in the car - same as prior
Car: Heat off, windows up, various types of music at half volume
Tires: New tires 265/40/21 and 285/40/21 were inflated to 40psi (personally I think these are the tires the car should have come with. plenty of rim protection and the stance looks more aggressive and slightly taller by about an inch.
Front clearance: went from 6" to almost 7"
Rear clearance: 5" to about 6" (sam as above, slight increase predicted by the taller diameter of the tire (~0.75")

PREVIOUS Trip Leg A: 8.2 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 264 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)

NEW TRIP: same trip details as above with efficiency of 272 wh/mi, but adjusting for Speedometer should be 272 / (1+.046) = 260 wh/mi

Trip Leg B: 7.9 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 251 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)

NEW TRIP: same trip details as above with efficiency of 263wh/mi, but adjusting for Speedometer should be 263 / (1+.046) = 251 wh/mi

So all in all, the car feels a little bit taller... a little softer on the bumps and overall looks a ton better. obviously longer term efficiency needs to be monitored but the initial feedback is very good.
I just ordered the same set of tires and wanted to ask if you've noticed at issue with the rear tires. The TireRack guy called me to ask if I thought the back would fit and I can obviously see from your pictures that they do, but I wanted to know if you experienced any issues when going over bumps or dips when the rear drops and possibly hits the tires. I feel like I'm overthinking this at this point.

Also, any long term update on efficiency?

Appreciate the thread. It'll ease my constant anxiety of worrying about a pothole taking out my Pirelli 35 aspect ratio tires.

Reactions: MBx4
I just ordered the same set of tires and wanted to ask if you've noticed at issue with the rear tires. The TireRack guy called me to ask if I thought the back would fit and I can obviously see from your pictures that they do, but I wanted to know if you experienced any issues when going over bumps or dips when the rear drops and possibly hits the tires. I feel like I'm overthinking this at this point.

Also, any long term update on efficiency?

Appreciate the thread. It'll ease my constant anxiety of worrying about a pothole taking out my Pirelli 35 aspect ratio tires.

It has been 8ish months on these tires and I have not had any issues what so ever. I have looked for this exact issue underneath to see if there is any indication of rub, as the wheel well is filled out quite well and I see none. Not that this should really matter but my tires are inflated to 45psi (I like a rough and tight ride - dont like to feel like i am on a soft cloud)

As far as efficiency, I drive aggressively so I never hit EPA estimates, but when I do coast at rated MPH (55MPH) efficiency I have seen rated or better performance out of the tires.

Look wise, it is no comparison. When I see other teslas with stock setup, the gap looks like the Grand Canyon to me (no offense to other tesla owners). I feel that this tire setup should have come from the factory. At the very least, tesla should give us a custom tire / rim size input for proper speedo and other data calibration.

Edit: Just went out and checked again above the rear tires. No evidence of rub, just the usual dirt build up. When you do get the tires, can you check (maybe take photos) of how far you can turn the wheel with pirellis (left to right, full lockout) and then the same test with the new tires (there is slight restriction, but it has never impacted my driving what so ever (I am just trying to quantify the degree restriction). thanks

Last edited:
It has been 8ish months on these tires and I have not had any issues what so ever. I have looked for this exact issue underneath to see if there is any indication of rub, as the wheel well is filled out quite well and I see none. Not that this should really matter but my tires are inflated to 45psi (I like a rough and tight ride - dont like to feel like i am on a soft cloud)

As far as efficiency, I drive aggressively so I never hit EPA estimates, but when I do coast at rated MPH (55MPH) efficiency I have seen rated or better performance out of the tires.

Look wise, it is no comparison. When I see other teslas with stock setup, the gap looks like the Grand Canyon to me (no offense to other tesla owners). I feel that this tire setup should have come from the factory. At the very least, tesla should give us a custom tire / rim size input for proper speedo and other data calibration.

Edit: Just went out and checked again above the rear tires. No evidence of rub, just the usual dirt build up. When you do get the tires, can you check (maybe take photos) of how far you can turn the wheel with pirellis (left to right, full lockout) and then the same test with the new tires (there is slight restriction, but it has never impacted my driving what so ever (I am just trying to quantify the degree restriction). thanks
How has the wear been on them?

Reactions: JWAMY and Quorky

Awesome to hear about the rear tires. I agree, Tesla really should offer something for people who get a MYP but don't live in California and experience real winters. At least allow the option to de-spec the wheels down to Gemini or Induction from the factory, or even work with a company to offer all-seasons that fit OEM.

The efficiency is good to hear. As long as the difference was below a 5% change or so, I wouldn't even notice. I also don't have very far commutes so range isn't the biggest deal in the world to me except once or twice a year on road trips.

And yeah, I'll report back next week when they're scheduled to be delivered with pre and post pictures and info. I also want to do a noise test before, after, and ~200-500 miles after to see how it compares.