Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension corrosion on 2017 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was checking on the brake rotors on my 2017 Model X and took a look back behind the rotor and noticed that one of the suspension components, the spindle knuckle I think, is showing a surprising amount of corrosion. It's the same on both driver and passenger side. It looks crusty and shriveled. I've never seen anything like this before. My 2014 Model S, for comparison (the last photo with the red caliper), doesn't look anything like this.

Does this corrosion look normal to folks or like a problem? What do your spindle knuckles look like on your 5+ year old Model X? Should I be concerned about safety and potential failure on this component?

2017 Model X suspension corrosion passenger front.jpg
2017 Model X suspension corrosion drivers front.jpg
2017 Model X suspension corrosion drivers front top-down.jpg
2014 Model S for comparison.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Can you scrape it off? It it really dirty, or is that the actual corrosion? I've not seen that before.
Good call. I jacked up the car and took the wheel off so I could get at it, and sure enough it's just dirt! Wow, had me fooled from the photos. Weird that it just accumulated on that part and no others.

Whelp, false alarm. Good reminder though to check on these parts from time to time.

Reactions: henderrj