Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension / handling going from P85D+ to refresh long range S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Revisiting this Thread.

I'm in the unique position of currently sitting inside a P85D+ and have a used P100D with free charging and FSD Paid for being Delivered Tomorrow.

I've heard that the P100D even given all its speed still is more sloppy than the car I currently have.

Am considering going down the extremely arduous path of finding a way to swap the suspension components.

Rear subframe especially, and front anti roll bars and hopefully control arms.

Any tips/

I believe it is all in the dampers (the difference). You likely need swap nothing else.
When I had Plus suspension loaners, I distinctly remember thinking Tesla probably upgraded bushings too.

I could well be wrong, and I haven't gone looking for differences in the parts catalog, but that was how it felt to me.

That said for sure the dampers should be the biggest part of the difference. Be sure to put some quality performance rubber on the P100D too, the last P100D loaner I had was wearing some mushy all-seasons that weren't doing it any handling favors. They did suit its soft cushy suspension though.

Which plus loaners? P85+ or P85D pre April 2015?
Both, in that order. Mostly P85+ though. As it was my first Plus suspension experience, and the lighter frontend of the RWD cars just feels that much better in the turns.

Also the P85D loaner's rear motor broke when I attempted to launch it, and after that I babied it. It had something like 25k+ miles on it while still pretty new. I'm guessing a significant chunk were launches from all us curious owners of older, slower RWD Model S. 😁

I could swear some early non-performance dual motor Model S had Plus-style firm suspension tuning too, but I've not come across any mentions of that here, so I'm not fully trusting those memories anymore.

The P100D loaner I had last fall was full on heavy boat feeling. My P85 (non-Plus) feels better in the twisties just thanks to lighter weight and lighter frontend. That particular P100D was a supremely comfortable highway mile eater though, with some of the lowest noise levels of any Model S I've been in. Felt very well put together, and it had a very comfortable generation of front seats too (much better than my early Model S seats, and better than the Palladium Model S seats, in my opinion).

Last edited:
Both, in that order. Mostly P85+ though. As it was my first Plus suspension experience, and the lighter frontend of the RWD cars just feels that much better in the turns.

Also the P85D loaner's rear motor broke when I attempted to launch it, and after that I babied it. It had something like 25k+ miles on it while still pretty new. I'm guessing a significant chunk were launches from all us curious owners of older, slower RWD Model S. 😁

I could swear some early non-performance dual motor Model S had Plus-style firm suspension tuning too, but I've not come across any mentions of that here, so I'm not fully trusting those memories anymore.

I asked because the P85D pre-april Plus suspension is significantly stiffer than the P85+. In fact, the post April P85D is similar the P85+ even though post April is not Plus. You wouldn't know if you had a P85D+ unless you checked the production date since they are not badged. Most P85Ds produced did not have the Plus suspension.

I asked because the P85D pre-april Plus suspension is significantly stiffer than the P85+. In fact, the post April P85D is similar the P85+ even though post April is not Plus. You wouldn't know if you had a P85D+ unless you checked the production date since they are not badged. Most P85Ds produced did not have the Plus suspension.
Ah, I don't know if the P85D loaner I had was the extra stiff version. It was definitely in that era of stiffened, sportier Model S suspension but I can't say if it was stiffer than the P85+ or merely similar.

Regardless, the actual P85+ itself was my favorite Model S for driving satisfaction, not that P85D.