Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW Update Scheme

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not quite two months into the Tesla world and am still trying to figure out the software update scheme. Since taking delivery in late April, I’ve had two updates to 2023.12.xxx. Looking at Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates I see a ton of updates but, clearly ,they don’t all apply to my 2023 MX. Makes sense.

2023.20.4.1, for example, has at least one feature that’s marked as ‘Available Worldwide’ including for MX but, for whatever reason, doesn’t apply to my car, apparently. My wife’s 2023 MY is up to date with 2023.12.9.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the way SW updates apply to various models and/or world regions?

These tables and data give you an idea of how Tesla spreads the updates around. The test groups of cars. Ususally there are features that are applicable to all models in one package. The roll up changes and look for a stable release and after a few days of it trickling out then it will go wide and you'll see the numbers jump for a given day.

TeslaFI.COM has a fleet of close to 20K so their data is statistically significant.

Public firmware page (more details if a subscriber): TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

8Zqy0gv.jpg

Reactions: Grabthar
That's helpful, thanks!

I'm on 2023.12.300.1 now though I see that <100 are on that specific release from the table you provided; far less than most other recent releases.

Should I expect to get 2023.20..xx at some point or perhaps the successor to that? Is the MX eligible for all of the releases in that table?

Reactions: scottf200
Tesla does not release each update to EVERY car all at once for a number of reasons. Often with larger updates, they seem to send to employee owned cars first to ensure nothing weird is found. If there are bugs that are found, they will drop a "point release". I personally don't know how they decide when to finally release it to everyone.. it could be by time zones, it could be based on perhaps a combination of features first (for example, Long Range Model X with 7 seats), but they do all eventually make it there. SOMETIMES, cars can get stuck it seems and be really behind. In those cases, I've read here that people reach out to the Service Centers and they can force a push.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'm on 2023.12.300.1 now though I see that <100 are on that specific release from the table you provided; far less than most other recent releases.
Should I expect to get 2023.20..xx at some point or perhaps the successor to that? Is the MX eligible for all of the releases in that table?
Wow, you are in a select group with 12.X00.X ... have no idea how you were singled out. Maybe random, maybe based on your config plus location plus amount of driving makes for some interesting test cases.

I'd guess a successor as I'd think they'd need to roll those code changes into the main 'fork' (code branch). Maybe it is minor tho and it will be 20.4.2 or something.

In that TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker table you can click on them and see the distribution across all types of Xs ... so yes generally eligible for all. I say generally because sometimes X of Y changes in that OTA are for a specific model (ie. refresh) vs legacy (old horz screen, older air susp, etc).

DUnd9sn.jpg

I’m not quite two months into the Tesla world and am still trying to figure out the software update scheme. Since taking delivery in late April, I’ve had two updates to 2023.12.xxx. Looking at Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates I see a ton of updates but, clearly ,they don’t all apply to my 2023 MX. Makes sense.

2023.20.4.1, for example, has at least one feature that’s marked as ‘Available Worldwide’ including for MX but, for whatever reason, doesn’t apply to my car, apparently. My wife’s 2023 MY is up to date with 2023.12.9.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the way SW updates apply to various models and/or world regions?
Not all cars get all updates. Not al cars get updates at the same time.

There are differences in hardware between cars and there are differences in software (FSD vs no FSD) that make a difference.

But the one thing that you can be assured of is that your car will be offered it when they want you to have it and not before.

@dwwX, I would add one more snippet of information. As a Teslafi user, I can see the complete history of my software updates. Here is a screenshot from the first page:
A9C61B14-EB06-40B6-AAF7-152575A7F156.jpeg

So in 5.5 years, I have had over 100 updates. Sometimes multiple updates come out within days (usually means there was a notable problem they wanted to fix right away) and sometimes it is more than 3 months between updates. Sometimes my car is among the first to get an update (0 days since discovery) and sometimes it is a couple of weeks later.