Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M3 is on software ver 2023.32.100 which hasn't updated in over 2 mos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2+ mos old M3 came with 2023.32.100 and it hasn't updated since. I've restarted the computer a few times using the two scroll buttons- which forces it to check for updates but it still shows no updates available even though there have been a few minor updates since 32.100.

However, more importantly most cars are on the 2023.38 release according to Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates only about 27 cars are on the release I'm on. Is there a way to switch to the .38 branch and get off the very lonely .32 island?

1700580678494.png

Yeah that's interesting...maybe I should've kept the Premium connectivity lol But kidding aside, I wonder why so few cars are on this release when the majority are on 2023.38? :confused:
You don’t need Premium Connectivity for updates. One thing you do need is decent cellular coverage for the car — do you have that where you park? You need WiFi to download the update once your car knows about it, but you need cellular to find out about it initially.

You don’t need Premium Connectivity for updates. One thing you do need is decent cellular coverage for the car — do you have that where you park? You need WiFi to download the update once your car knows about it, but you need cellular to find out about it initially.
Even with no WiFi, you should get notified when there is new software available.

Right, but only if the car has cellular coverage, which is why I asked.

Doesn't the app tell you as well? So the car shouldn't need cell coverage for the owner to be notified of an update.

My car has premium connectivity but no wifi due to me living 230' above my underground parking spot. But I see the availability of updates both in my app and also in Teslafi, should I open it up for some reason. As well, the car has no connectivity at our rental cottage (cell or wifi) due to it being remote.

I can't recall if there was ever a time I saw an update in the app before the car showed it was available, but lots of times I see it in the app first.

As for updates, they don't require premium connectivity, they are pushed over the cell system if they are required for safety and I haven't downloaded them quickly enough. For me to download an update, I need to take the car to the nearest SC and sit in the parking lot to download over their guest wifi system. I sincerely wish they'd include the size of the downloads so I could decide if I can download via my mobile data plan. I only have 5GB a month, but I usually only use 2GB of that so may have room to download some (saving the 20 minute drive to the SC and download time just sitting there). The problem is, I don't know for sure because this isn't a problem the Tesla dudes can conceive of, therefore they don't make my ownership of a Tesla, despite living in a rental, easier by including the size of the download in their info.

I’m currently on the 3 month free FSDb trial because I purchased through a referral code. I wouldn’t think that should impact anything since I’m currently on 11.4.4 FSD which appears to also be the version shipped with the 2023.38 releases but just trying to correlate anything.

Doesn't the app tell you as well? So the car shouldn't need cell coverage for the owner to be notified of an update.
No., the app only tells you once the car is aware of an update. The app won’t actually notify you until the update has been downloaded (via WiFi) and is ready to install, but if there’s an update waiting to be (or in the process of being) downloaded, the app will show that if you happen to look, but will not notify you until the download is complete.

No., the app only tells you once the car is aware of an update. The app won’t actually notify you until the update has been downloaded (via WiFi) and is ready to install, but if there’s an update waiting to be (or in the process of being) downloaded, the app will show that if you happen to look, but will not notify you until the download is complete.

The bolded part is not my experience and there are reddit posts confirming that I am informed there's an update available to download. I can't trigger the download from the app (although since I don't have wifi at the car, that's obvious), I have to do that in-car, but the fact that there is something available shows in my app. BTW: places where I've downloaded updates before (my sons' homes for example) download new updates automatically as soon as my car hops onto their wifi. So we've returned to the car either having received an update or in the middle of a download (which we stop since we had returned to car to drive it, not sit in it waiting on Elon to change our UI once again.)

Perhaps you never see it in your app because your car is constantly on wifi so when an update is available it just downloads automatically at home.

Here are some of the reddit posts:

The bolded part is not my experience and there are reddit posts confirming that I am informed there's an update available to download. I can't trigger the download from the app (although since I don't have wifi at the car, that's obvious), I have to do that in-car, but the fact that there is something available shows in my app. BTW: places where I've downloaded updates before (my sons' homes for example) download new updates automatically as soon as my car hops onto their wifi. So we've returned to the car either having received an update or in the middle of a download (which we stop since we had returned to car to drive it, not sit in it waiting on Elon to change our UI once again.)

Perhaps you never see it in your app because your car is constantly on wifi so when an update is available it just downloads automatically at home.

Here are some of the reddit posts:

You misunderstood what I said, which is that the app does not issue a Software Update Available notification until the update has been downloaded and is ready to install. The app will show that an update is ready to be downloaded, or in the process of being downloaded, but you won’t get a notification until after the download completes. I’ve been a Tesla owner for 7+ years and I’m certain that I’m correct about this.

I think everyone should be getting 44.1 soon, it's being rolled out now. Look at Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates -as of this typing 500+ installs just today. The only change I made a few days ago was switched my Software preference to 'Advanced' as shown in the first post. Also, if you reboot (hold down both scroll buttons) upon restart it will check if an update is available. Sort of a forced way to see if there's an update pending. Although I didn't do this and the 'update available' notification popped up. Good luck!

Reactions: theslimshadyist