Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping seats from ‘23 MYP w/ ‘23 MYLR (RCM Fault)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I attempted to swap the black seats out of my 2023 MYP (prod 12/22) with my wife’s 2023 MYLR (prod 8/23) white seats. Though very labor intensive (job took nearly 2 hours, every bolt, clip, plug, and plastic retainer was identical. Disconnect the 16v low voltage battery and shut off the high voltage battery from the “safety” menu and you’re in business.

The fitment, physically, was the same. However, the the problem was after reattaching the battery turning the car back on. Both vehicles generated a fault within the “RCM” or restraint control module - picture attached. After some sussing, I determine that the fault was specifically related to a firmware mismatch between the car’s RCM and side bolster airbags firmware in the front seats. When I switched the seats back, the faults/errors were gone and all was back to normal.

Has anyone had experience with this? I scoured the this forum, google and YouTube. Nothing related on this topic or process for updating firmware.

Any useful insight is appreciated.

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    622.9 KB · Views: 125
One possibility would be to swap the air bags between the two seats.

Here is a video showing how to remove the air bags from the second row of a Model X 6-seats.
This allow to suppress the error messages after removing the seats and putting the air bags under the floor.

Appreciate the post. This option is highly intrusive and I suspect would void our warranties. Will keep it as a nuclear option.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
I haven’t found a set of covers that I was happy with quality and fit wise. We also bought my wife’s car with the intention (if she wasn’t into them) of swapping. Turns out she doesn’t like them. Will likely end up calling the Tesla service center to determine costs to update firmware.

Have you tried to reinstall the firmware from the service menu? perhaps there's a way to trick it from going RCM fault?
I scoured the service menu. There’s nothing related to the firmware that I could find. I ended up just calling one of my local service centers. Took awhile to get to the right person (ended up with the back of the house service manager) who advised me that they can’t do it. But perhaps a 3rd party repair could, though he highly recommend NOT doing this.