Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched order from Y to 3 - saving $3900 so happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my 3 to death. It's an awesome car!

However, I would trade it in one second for a Y and pay the $4,000.
The same for me. I wished that the Model Y was available two years ago...
But nobody know anything about it, even if it will have Falcon Wing or regular doors.

I don't like Sedan because the trunk is not very practical.
I was considering getting a used Leaf, VW e-Golf, Bolt, i3... until the Model Y will be available.
But after driving a Model 3 I didn't want diving anything else.

We have an older ICE SUV for the like 2 or 3 times a year we (like many folks) actually need real cargo space for much beyond what the 3 (esp with seats folded down) can handle.

Wouldn't want to move to a bigger, heavier, squarer, slower, Y just to handle those 2 or 3 times a year.

Reactions: JBT66 and ml0204
I have a performance model 3 since November and drove a performance model y last week. Build quality seemed worse on the Y. It felt a lot slower to 60 than just .5 seconds. Still quick but didnt feel fast. The blower for the AC is very loud. Not the actual air coming out, but a pump or something. I could hear it plain as day on the freeway. Overall build quality seemed not as good as my 3.

Wind noise is a little better. Overall a little quieter. Sits up higher, way bigger trunk, back seat has more knee room. I dont feel its worth $10k more. (stealth was $52k-$1850 rebate and Y is like $61k) so $10k for me. Love my model 3.

I have a performance model 3 since November and drove a performance model y last week. Build quality seemed worse on the Y. It felt a lot slower to 60 than just .5 seconds. Still quick but didnt feel fast. The blower for the AC is very loud. Not the actual air coming out, but a pump or something. I could hear it plain as day on the freeway. Overall build quality seemed not as good as my 3.

Wind noise is a little better. Overall a little quieter. Sits up higher, way bigger trunk, back seat has more knee room. I dont feel its worth $10k more. (stealth was $52k-$1850 rebate and Y is like $61k) so $10k for me. Love my model 3.

Everything feels slow after the Performance 3...

Hopefully not the Cybertruck TriMotor...

my wife’s model 3 RWD is still zippy and fun just not fast compared to the P3...

Last edited:
Looks like the M3 is $6k cheaper than the MY now - M3 just dropped $2k on the order page. Still planning on getting the MY though. It would be nice if the MY price before I pick it up in 2 weeks.

they gave me a Performance x to drive overnight. Tested ludicrous plus. Felt fast but my m3 still felt faster because the x felt very very heavy. Still haven’t driven an s but would like to try that. I’m sure it’s awesome with ludicrous plus. The model 3 just handles so well.

I was going to say this last night but got distracted. We have a LR Model X and it is fast but as bpobill states it feels heavy compared to the the 3. Still it is nimble compared to our past 6 seaters (H2 and ESV Escalade)

I took my 3P on some twisty mountain roads this past weekend and it blew away my Miata for fun on those roads. I was shocked by that reality...

they gave me a Performance x to drive overnight. Tested ludicrous plus. Felt fast but my m3 still felt faster because the x felt very very heavy. Still haven’t driven an s but would like to try that. I’m sure it’s awesome with ludicrous plus. The model 3 just handles so well.

The S is a lot quicker.

The P X is only about 1/10th of a second quicker than the P3

I agree the 3 is a better driving/handling car than either, but the P100D got a LOT more of that "This borders on unpleasant, holy crap" thrust thing on launch.