TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SyFy's Most Excellent New Series "The Expanse" Full Episode Preview

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RobStark, Nov 24, 2015.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

#1 RobStark, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    SyFy's Battle Star Galactica meets Total Recall Type Universe without total recall technology.

Very high production values. Excellent setup of the Universe.

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Thanks for posting. As someone who has read tons of sci-fi for decades, it is good to see SyFy returning to their roots and offering "space stuff", instead of what I considered to be less interesting themes. Childhood's End should be great as well.

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Oh Debut is on Monday Dec 14 at 10 PM.

So if you don't want to watch episode 1 again episode 2 is on Monday Dec 21 at 10 PM.

4. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

#4 CurrentRide, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    This looks like it is based on the books of James S.A. Corey who I think also writes under the alias Daniel Abraham. The Expanse books and novellas are very good hard Sci Fi, whereas his Abraham books are more fantasy but also very good. He is quite prolific and is producing fun reads at a good clip.

I have read all of his Expanse books, Long Price Quartet, and The Dagger and the Coin novels.

Here is his website :
    Danielabraham.com | Books by Daniel Abraham, James S.A. Corey and M.L.N. Hanov

Edit:
    Daniel Abraham is his real name, with James Corey a nom de plume shared with Ty Franck. Together, they are the executive producers of the show, so it should follow the original vision of the written word quite well.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#5 cwerdna, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    FWIW, I've watched all the eps so far. It was a bit confusing at first and I don't like how they jump around between different scenes all the time. I really did like the CQB ep and liked the Martian scenes in Remember the Cant.

The next two eps that air the night of 2/2/16 will be the season finale.

It looks like they're also doing a marathon on that day, rerunning all the eps prior to the finale, in the event you don't want to watch via their web site. Set your DVRs/PVRs/TiVos.

The Expanse – Watch Online | Syfy does have recaps, but don't go there if you haven't seen many eps yet. I have watched some of the Inside the Expanse: Episdode n videos. Be careful about spoilers there as well!

There's some discussion at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=534385.

Also, SyFy Channel Renews 'The Expanse' for a More Expansive Second Season.

I've not read any of the books it was based on and am unfamiliar w/any of the cast or folks involved w/the show's production.

6. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Looks like they're only doing half the first book for season 1 - last week's episode ended on page 274 of 561.

7. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Just watched the finale, very well done. Going to be a long wait for Season 2!

8. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Wait, last night was the season finale? I need more!

I love the way the got the science right. Gravity, changes to the body of Belters. The only thing they got wrong was THERE'S NO SOUND IN SPACE! Sorry. Pet peeve of mine. Firefly got that right.

9. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

This reminded me a lot of Cowboy Bebop (An anime SciFi from about 20 years ago centered around a team of shady bounty hunters living in an era where humanity had colonized the solar system) in terms of the general atmosphere, body count, and characters.

The use of confusing flashbacks which are later explained is very similar. Also, Detective Miller losing his job and hanging up his hat before striking out on his own instantly brought back memories of Jet Black, who wore a hat as an ISSP cop, but typically not as a bounty hunter.

Overall an entertaining series.

10. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I watched it.

Tried very had to like it over multiple episodes but just did not like it.

Wish they just brought back Firefly.