Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SyFy's Most Excellent New Series "The Expanse" Full Episode Preview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yeah, enjoying it quite a bit. Watch it and Archer every Thursday - I'm a day delayed due to buying the seasons via iTunes.

Was rather disappointed to hear it'd been canceled, though did find it interesting how much cord cutters like myself* are now a factor in such decisions:
The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the U.S. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing, which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series that tend to draw the lion’s share of their audiences from digital/streaming.

Hopefully Alcon can get somebody else signed up for seasons 4+.

* With $1500 a year savings, what I used to pay DirecTV less à la cart purchases like The Expanse, I don't foresee myself ever signing up for cable/satellite again. Here in Houston I get 120+ channels off the air. I have a Mac mini DVR, with 8 tuners and thousands of shows and movies recorded, so whenever I sit down to watch TV I have plenty to choose from. Even cable series are showing up on OTA channels. Besides the local channels I have HBO Go for free with my AT&T cellular plan (I'm current on Westworld) and Amazon Prime Video (I consider it free as the savings in shipping offset the annual fee).

One of the reasons I have so many shows recorded is I'll flag to record anything that might be interesting. If its a new series that gets quickly cancelled I just delete the shows unwatched. I also flag a lot of older series I'd watched long before, like Wings and That '70s Show, and rewatch them in order. End up catching a lot of episodes I missed the first time around.

Looks like I'll also be getting a "skinny bundle" for free - AT&T Watch.
Watch, a so-called skinny bundle, offers consumers fewer channels, thus costing less than a traditional cable package. Because Watch won't include sports channels, AT&T will be able to offer the service for $15 a month, compared with the $35 a month for AT&T's DirecTV Now streaming video service.

...The service will be free customers of AT&T's unlimited wireless service.

Anyone still watching? Season 3, ep 5 (Triple Point) was very good. I finally was able to watch my recording tonight.

I heard this bad news earlier today:
The Expanse Season 3 will be the last on SYFY, series could be shopped around
‘The Expanse’ To End On Syfy With Season 3, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere By Alcon

Let's hope someone picks it up and continues with it, esp. w/the same cast and staff.

I'm still watching... on Amazon.

I wonder what % of the viewership is like me and watches with an Internet service rather than traditional cable. I've also noticed that people who watch on Syfy complain that the numerous commercial breaks are too disruptive, which may be driving some people towards streaming.

I must have stepped through a Stargate into an alternative universe or something. I thought this was the Tesla forum. At least it used to look like it.
This is the off-topic area.

FWIW, over at TiVoCommunity Forum, the general off-topic area aka Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat (you'll need a free account to see it) has FAR more traffic than ALL the TiVo-related areas combined. Many of the folks no longer have TiVos but still hang around at TCF to talk about random stuff (e.g. Tesla Model S, EVs/PHEVs, self-driving cars, help me plan my wedding, Windows 10, Plex, Ladies - Interview Clothing?, travel advice, laurel or yanny, etc.)

It seems all the excitement about TiVo has really waned over the years yet previous bonds have held so people still keep coming back to TCF.

I signed their petition yesterday. It was at 108,190 signatures when I checked this morning. Received this update this morning:
Cas Anvar, who plays the show's pilot and has been active in communicating with fans, streamed a video discussing talks he had with SyFy yesterday.

According to SyFy and Cas, they are willing to "discuss" The Expanse again if our Nielsen ratings go up for the rest of this season. Most simply, this means more people watching live, DVR'ing, and watching within 3 days of the broadcast.

I signed their petition yesterday. It was at 108,190 signatures when I checked this morning. Received this update this morning:
Someone in one of the reddit threads (I don't participate there, yet) was confused about how watching live helps. Unless one is watching thru a DVR live or is a Nielsen family watching live, that almost certainly won't help. However, watching live thru a DVR or DVR within 3 days of broadcast should help.

Side note: For those who'd seen a recent S3 ep, Triple Point (GREAT ep, BTW), I totally had forgotten or hadn't realized that both Admiral Souther (Souther (TV)) and Fleet Admiral Nguyen (Augusto Nguyen (TV)) were even in prior eps. Those articles reminded me. I guess I wasn't paying close attention, had forgotten about their prior roles or just didn't know/forgotten about their names in those prior eps.

I didn't even remember Souther resigning his post as Fleet Admiral. Nguyen to took his place.

I mentioned at The Expanse - S3 E5 - "Triple Point" that I went back to 2 previous eps and confirmed Souther's and Nguyen's presence.

Last edited:
Whoops, I should amend my earlier point about watching live. If one watches live thru a non-DVR set top box, it might help, but only if your TV provider collects that viewing data and sells that data to whoever NBC Universal/SyFy uses to help make their cancel/don't cancel decisions.

For those who are watching on services like Netflix outside the US (has seasons 1 and 2 at this point, AFAIK), it might help if there were a sustained jump in viewing.

I’ve been watching on Amazon by buying a season pass for each year. Super happy that Amazon picked it up for Prime Originals!

It’s very interesting how Belter and Martian lingo from The Expanse has woven its way into the space enthusiast subculture. On the Reddit SpaceX sub I often see references to the MCR, “legitimate salvage”, and Belter Creole phrases. With SpaceX BFR and Mars flights on the horizon, people are really excited about the possibility that they could actually experience a taste of what they watch on The Expanse each week.