Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC & Autopilot speed can't change by 10 kph - So, no AP1 Parity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Europe it is really annoying, that you can only change the TACC (or the Autopilot) cruise speed by 5 km/h max. Outside the town in the Model S you could change the speed by 10 Km/h. That was way more convenient.

Now in the Model 3, I feel like I'm back to the beginning of the gaming industry, were winning a Commodore C64 game was all about, who could tab the fastest. :eek:

With the Model 3, one has to scroll the wheel like hell, because outside the town the speed limit often changes from 50 to 100, or 70 to 100 (kph), on my daily route at almost every 30 seconds. And while Autopilot doesn't recognize every speed limit and also drives like Mad Max into a town with 100 Km/h way past the speed Sign, this is crazy and unusable.

Please Tesla, simply implement an Autopilot speed change at 10 km/h! (Like it was in the Model S AP1)

Oh and yes - i know Autopilot (as of today) is only for the use on highways ("beta"), but 1. it is even worse on the Autobahn (highway), when changing from 150 to 80 kph (racing into a construction site is no fun) and 2. we only talk about AP1 parity here, which i drove for over 4 years.

Another idea, which bpjod postet, is also nice, even when this would be a pain for round number lovers like me:

Traffic aware cruise control - initial set speed?
  • I wish the relative offset could be a percentage rather than a fixed amount over the posted speed. I'd like +10% as 10 kph over in town feels a bit excessive whereas it feels about right on the highway. I've compromised with +7 kph, then fine tune with the scroll wheel after engaging, but I'd rather have it offset by a %age.

Maybe - and that would be even better - there could be an option on which difference a slow scroll turn and fast turn would provide (like 1 kph, or 5 kph on the slow turn and 10 kph, or 10% on the fast turn).

Have a great day everyone!
Earl

Ps.: And besides this, the Model 3 is a fantastic ride!

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by your statements.
I'm US based with a Model 3, so I'm not sure if there is a difference.

I can change that TACC speed by 1 mph from some pretty low point up until a pretty high point.
When on surface streets, the rules change, dependent on the type road and speed of the road, if any.
On a two lane road with no speed limit known to the car, the limit is 45 mph. The car won't let you go higher on TACC, but will if you are only using cruise control.
The car will speed up and slow down automatically for speed zones. Often I am driving along and the car slows down and startles me, then I realized that the speed changed.
If you manually adjust the speed, the automatic speed zone stuff tends to stop working. Just drop autopilot and re-enable when at speed to get it happy again.

I thought that there was an option in the Model 3 to switch from a mph limit to percentage.

Differences may be impacted by some of the European laws.

Ok I'll try to explain:

It is about "Changing the Set Speed", Page 69 Tesla Model 3 Manual:
https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

"To change the set speed while using TrafficAware Cruise Control, roll the right scroll wheel up (to increase) or down (to decrease) the set speed until your desired set speed is displayed. Slowly rolling the scroll wheel changes the set speed in 1 mph (1 km/h) increments and quickly rolling the scroll wheel changes the set speed to the closest 5 mph (5 km/h) increment"

The problem is, that 5 km/h is only 3 mph, so it is way to slow, if you have to use the scroll wheel to adjust the speed in countries with higher speed differences.

Another example: Imagine if you drive super fast: 93 mph and you have to scroll all the way down to 49 mph with only a 3 mph scrolling delta. Doing this one time is no problem, but doing this 30x in a 15min drive is just inconvenient.

That is what happens here. The Autopilot itself in Europe can (and always could) be activated from 30 kph (19 mph) up to 150 kph (93 miles).

Btw other manufacturers allow TACC-only to be used up to 130mph (210kph). I cant remember any cruise control except Tesla to use 5 kph when adjusting it.

i think it simply was forgotten when programming the Setting. Because in the Model S AP1, as i told, the setting was already 10kph steps.

Sure all that is gone, when Autopilot finally reads all speed signs (here it misses 3 out of 5 and even sets other speed limits when there is no sign at all) and adjusts 100m before the limit applies. But i have some doubts, since they did not solve this the last 4 years. So, a normal adjusting step as i asked, would be very, very, very helpfull.

Sorry, I can't describe it any better.

Last edited:
Thanks you for replying.

I already know that and it doesn't help, because the limit is not often enough recognized and allways to late, so that you race into it and be not only dangerous to others, but risk your licence.

But i get a feeling that this is a more german problem, therefore not understood, if one doesn't drive here regularly and will discuss it in the german Tesla forum.

Thank you all.

I used to live in Salzburg and regularly drove to Munich. I understand the problem you're describing with the big increases and decreases in the speed limit. Best option is to submit it as a bug or feature request to Tesla.

Hrm.. this has never worked for me, on any road type in the US.. I feel like I am doing something wrong.

There is indeed some quirk to it, but yesterday as I was driving home from Huntsville, all the sudden the car slowed down, I thought it was the infamous radar shadow, but then I looked and saw the speed limit sign, it had done the right thing. It seems to do it a little more commonly when you don't manually adjust the speed, as in when you roll the button, it assumes that you are in control.